Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Chad Greenway disses Packer fans (Article)

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/402583.html

MOUNT VERNON, S.D— The newest Minnesota Viking thanked residents in his hometown for helping him reach the NFL Saturday before heading off to the Twin Cities.

Chad Greenway, the Iowa linebacker picked by the Vikings with the 17th selection, watched the draft on ESPN at the family farm in Mount Vernon. After receiving the good news, he headed into town to share it with some of Mount Vernon's 470 residents.

"This doesn't happen to every small town in the world, but it happened to us,' Greenway told the crowd gathered at the Mount Vernon High School gym. "I want to thank all of you for being behind me the whole way.'

Greenway also took a lighthearted jab at the town's Green Bay fans.

"I know we got some Packer fans around here,' Greenway said, "but you're going to have to switch over. To be honest with you, you're all going to have to get rid of that Packer crap.'

Many residents packed Wermers' Lounge and Steakhouse on Main Street to watch the draft on the bar's big-screen television.

"Chad was good at whatever he did,' said Adam Hanson, one of Greenway's high school teammates. "Any of us could vouch for that. I think we're really happy for him because we know he worked for whatever he got. It's not like he had this all given to him. I guess I'm officially a Vikings fan now — I never was one before.'

Alan Greenway, Chad's father, said he's glad his son will be playing within driving distance.

"Chad wanted to go to a team in the Midwest because he's a Midwest kind of guy,' Alan Greenway said. "It's been a very rewarding experience for us and for the town.'

Greenway had been projected to go somewhere between No. 11 and No. 28, and he said Saturday that the final hours before he was picked were a bit stressful.

"I didn't get nervous until they got to the ninth or tenth pick,' Greenway said. "Then things got a little edgy. For the most part, I just relaxed, but when it got to crunch time ... the last six picks were taking forever.'

Cell phone service can be spotty in Mount Vernon, and Greenway said the Vikings' first call didn't go through.

"I tried to answer it, but we don't have any cell towers out here,' Greenway said. "I saw that it was a Minnesota area code, though, so I knew it had a chance of being the call.'

A few moments later, the home phone rang right and Greenway gave his family a thumbs up.

It makes me think that Chad grew up as a Vikings fan, I love him already, dissing the Packers, can't wait to see Chad against the Packers :grin:

Re: Chad Greenway disses Packer fans (Article)

Cool, I like the guy so far.
    You republican whore!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Thats my boy! Hes gonna be a huge impact on this team ...THIS year!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"I know we got some Packer fans around here,' Greenway said, "but you're going to have to switch over. To be honest with you, you're all going to have to get rid of that Packer crap.'

I like him already!!!

Yeah!! Get rid of that packer sh!t

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I love this guy. I think he will do extremely well on the team. Great pick for the vikes.

mnguyinames is offline Waterboy

even though i hate the hawkeyes, I love this pick. now i can root for him to kick ass in purple. any time anyone disses on the cheese, i'll support em.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This pick I like alot already

I really like this pick! I love his attitude! I listened to his press conference at Winter Park on www.vikings.com, and he just sounds so intelligent. I think he was the type of linebacker that we needed to draft! He will do well in this defense, and I can't wait to see him play! :lol:

coloradovikings is offline Training Camp

great comments by the rookie! He hates the packers like all of us. I would love to see him get a couple good shots in at Farve..

Retire already Brett!

IS THAT BETTER!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast