Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Greenway

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chad Greenway

[size=18px]Ex-Hawkeye Greenway trying to "work my way up" with Vikings[/size]

REGISTER STAFF WRITER

August 10, 2006

For now, Chad Greenway is biding his time.

"(Just) trying to work my way up," the former Iowa linebacker and Minnesota Vikings rookie told The Des Moines Register.

This week, Vikings coach Brad Childress said Greenway would likely begin the season as Minnesota's No. 2 weakside linebacker, behind veteran E.J. Henderson.

There were conversations about moving the South Dakota native to middle linebacker as a way of getting him on the field, but Childress squelched such talk.

"(The coaches) haven't mentioned anything toward any kind of timetable," said Greenway, who was taken with the No. 17 pick in April's NFL draft. "We're more concerned with getting better as a group and getting better as a defense. Everybody's getting the same type of reps ... it's just (about) moving forward and we're not concerned about that at this point."

Just before the start of preseason camp, Greenway signed a five-year contract worth up to $13.25 million. According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, that includes a $1 million bonus for reaching a minimum playing time clause during any of his first four seasons.

The ex-Hawkeye star said he's continuing to working with the first-team kick and punt coverage, and kick return and punt return units.

"We're just going out each practice," he said, "and trying to get better."

Ex-Hawkeye Greenway trying to "work my way up" with Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Chad Greenway

[size=18pt]Vikings Profile - Greenway[/size]

August 12, 2006

QUICK FACTS

Height/Weight: 6-2/242
    Position: Linebacker
    College: University of Iowa
    Hometown: Mount Vernon, SD
    Birthdate: 1-12-83

What's up Chad? To kick off the Vikings' profile of the week, tell the people your favorite thing about Minnesota...

"I think the outdoors has been my favorite thing here. Everybody seems to enjoy the outdoors, everybody is very active, and it's certainly a beautiful country. It's a joy to be here."

You are the only Iowa LB taken in the first round in school history. How much do you credit your college coaches in developing you as a player from your Gatorade Player of the Year days in nine-man South Dakota football?

"Norm Parker, my position coach at Iowa, really molded me as a player. (Head coach) Kirk Ferentz molded me character-wise, how to treat teammates, and things like that, but Norm Parker is the guy that molded me into the player that I became. Basically, I owe being here to him. He took me as a safety and taught me how to play linebacker, through the fundamentals such as how to play the gaps and play physically. He taught me very well."

We should expect a lot of Chad Greenway supporters here in Minnesota, wedged in between the place you grew up (Mount Vernon, SD), and the place you went to college (University of Iowa), right Chad?

"I thought it was a really good spot for me, because I grew up so close, and went to college so close, and it is close for my family to be able to come and watch games. It was just a nice spot for me to go."

Having experienced the first week of your opening NFL training camp, what are a few things you forgot to bring this time that we'll see in 2007?

"Actually there is nothing, really. I'm pretty good. I forgot an extra pillow, but I got that taken care of - my wife brought it down. Pretty much everything is in tact. You just basically need your body and your playbook. That's it."

Which NFL linebacker is someone after whom you have modeled your game?

"I think the one guy, once he started playing linebacker - because he didn't play there until college - was (Chicago Bears MLB) Brian Urlacher. I have a similar body type to him, and I like to emulate him a little bit in the style that he plays. Obviously, I'm not him yet, and I have to keep working towards that level. I played safety in high school, so I looked up to (former San Francisco 49ers safety) Ronnie Lott. I was a big fan of his and how he used to light people up."

How much are you learning from linebackers coach Fred Pagac?

"His day-to-day teaching has been great. I'm trying to learn on the fly everyday, from playing lower to just about everything. He stays on you every day to maintain what you have done and keep pushing at the things you need to work on."

Did you realize you would be spending your first few weeks after being married at training camp in Mankato?

"My wife and I were only married about a week and a half before training camp, but it was great. It was a nice step and a good transition for us; there has been a lot of change going on this year, so it just seemed right to change that too. It's a whirlwind."

What's your dad's worst go-to joke?

"Actually, my dad's not much of a jokester. You won't hear too many out of him."

You grew up on a hog and crop farm. Tell us, what exactly does that mean?

"We raise livestock, pigs and cattle. Then, there is the crop farm. We farm corn, beans and some wheat, and we just do a lot of work. (TE) Jim Kleinsasser does some farming...I don't know if he would trust me to do business with him."

What could your high school peers expect to see you wearing in high school, circa 1999?

"I'm just a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy. I'm pretty simple - no cowboy boots or anything like that. I don't really have a go-to t-shirt either. I went from large to extra large to double extra large, so I've gotten rid of everything that was good back in the day."

We hear you are quite the South Dakota and Iowa historian, so here's a quick one: Tell us about Custer's last stand...

"He got murdered."

Which recording artist is most likely to be heard playing in your car stereo?

"George Strait, Gary Allen, or Garth Brooks. All country. Garth is probably still my favorite. "The Dance," "Rodeo," or "Friends in Low Places" are some of my favorites. I don't get too much air-time in the locker room, just straight in the dorm room on Limewire. That's the only way to get it."

Vikings Profile: Chad Greenway

We hear you are quite the South Dakota and Iowa historian, so here's a quick one: Tell us about Custer's last stand...

"He got murdered."
    He's a guy of few words, but get's his point across.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

He's struck me as a very solid character guy - he knows his abilities but he's not cocky.

He seems as if he'd be a nice guy to meet off the field. (But he wouldn't be nice to meet on the field)

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

haha some of his replies to the questions are pretty funny. I hope that he can play well in the preseason and get a starting job by the time regular season comes around.

Christie is offline Starter

Chad is a very nice guy to meet off the field. I grew up with him in the very small town of Mt. Vernon.
    he is very down to earth and will do anything for anyone.
    He did a signing in Mt. vernon before training camp and he is just awesome with the kids.
    My son who is 5 thinks the world of him every since he was signed with the Vikings. Chad personally took time to hunt him down at Mt. Vernon's centennial this summer to talk to him and sign things.
    my 7 year old wasn't a Viking fan but since he has meant a real NFL player he has converted to the Vikings.
    Feel proud to have him as a role model to kids.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I'm excited to see how involved he gets with the community around here. It sure sounds like he's a stand-up dude...
    -Sno

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I knew he was a country boy, but you would think he would throw some other artists in there..

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I look forward to him playing in the Purple and Gold for years to come!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

yep my only complaint is all he talked about for music is country :-X

If this guy is as solid on the feld as he is in his interviews we're in for a treat!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast