Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Centers and Vikings Don’t Easily Separate

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Centers and Vikings Don’t Easily Separate
    [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size]

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Apr 11, 2008

With Matt Birk entering the final year of his contract and the team making little effort to get an extension done now, it’s possible the Vikings could have a new center in 2009. Given the Vikings’ history at the position, the next starting center could be around a long time as well.

http://min.scout.com/2/745464.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Centers and Vikings Don’t Easily Separate

wow, 5 fulltime starters over 45 seasons...

we've been spoiled

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    wow, 5 fulltime starters over 45 seasons...

we've been spoiled
    I mentioned that in the Birk thread.

With the exception of Schreiber in 93, the Vikings have always had a stellar starting center corp.

You saw what happened to Culpepper in 2005 with the absence of Birk & you just may see it again after he's gone.

I'd rather have Birk in there at not a full 100% than I would most of the centers in the league.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Centers that were drafted by the Vikes......

1961-1969 None
    1970 Rnd 11 286 Godfrey Zaunbrecher
    C Louisiana State
    1971-1973 None
    1974 Rnd 3 77 Scott And
    1977 Rnd 2 55 Dennis Swilley
    C North Texas erson
    C Missouri
    1985 Rnd 3 59 Kirk Lowdermilk
    C Ohio State
    1991 Rnd 5 119 Chris Thome
    C Minnesota
    2007 Rnd 2 51 Ryan Cook
    C New Mexico

Birk was listed as a T when he was drafted.......
    1998 Rnd 6 173 Matt Birk
    T Harvard

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...3000&type=team
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

IMO get an OT and prep Cook for C.

And Mick should have HOF after his name.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:

Cook is just to tall.
    (Probably have to eat my words on that one by the way.
    ;D)

Mozes will be groomed to take Matts place or they could draft another C this year as there are quite a few in this draft that might work out if given some time to grow.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

Cook is just to tall.
    (Probably have to eat my words on that one by the way.
    ;D)

Mozes will be groomed to take Matts place or they could draft another C this year as there are quite a few in this draft that might work out if given some time to grow.
    Mark my words. You will see the Vikings draft a center at some point in the draft.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:

I don't think Cook will be moving back to Center, at 6foot6 330 pounds he's got the body of a Tackle. He's also got the skill sets to be a tackle, he moves really well for a guy that big. While I do think him at center would be an absolute anchor I believe we drafted him with the second round pick to be a Tackle because he possesed the talents and work ethic to make the transition and eventually be a very solid RT. Not to mention our QB is 6foot2, having a center that much taller could cause some issues. I felt Cook made some very good strides in becoming our future RT, at times last year he did struggle but he was only a second year guy practicly learning a new position. I beleive we drafted him because he has a great work ethic and attitude, just what it will take to make this a succesful transition. He is also a big part of our running success last year. He didn't earn the name hitman for nothing.

I do believe we should draft at Tackle very soon in this draft, hopefully we already got a guy picked out that we really like and think we can get with one of our selections. A future puzzle peice, as I would like nothing more than to get rid of McKinnie and his lack of production and commitment to his Profession and his team.

I believe Dan Mozes fits our scheme like a glove, I beleive Dan Mozes needed to find a home where he fits in with what is being accomplished. From what I've heard and read Mozes has a deep determination and work ethic teamed with our coaching staff and training program will propel him into the starting Center position after this season. If not I trust our orginization to find a replacement.

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

I don't think Cook will be moving back to Center, at 6foot6 330 pounds he's got the body of a Tackle. He's also got the skill sets to be a tackle, he moves really well for a guy that big. While I do think him at center would be an absolute anchor I believe we drafted him with the second round pick to be a Tackle because he possesed the talents and work ethic to make the transition and eventually be a very solid RT. Not to mention our QB is 6foot2, having a center that much taller could cause some issues. I felt Cook made some very good strides in becoming our future RT, at times last year he did struggle but he was only a second year guy practicly learning a new position. I beleive we drafted him because he has a great work ethic and attitude, just what it will take to make this a succesful transition. He is also a big part of our running success last year. He didn't earn the name hitman for nothing.

I do believe we should draft at Tackle very soon in this draft, hopefully we already got a guy picked out that we really like and think we can get with one of our selections. A future puzzle peice, as I would like nothing more than to get rid of McKinnie and his lack of production and commitment to his Profession and his team.

I believe Dan Mozes fits our scheme like a glove, I beleive Dan Mozes needed to find a home where he fits in with what is being accomplished. From what I've heard and read Mozes has a deep determination and work ethic teamed with our coaching staff and training program will propel him into the starting Center position after this season. If not I trust our orginization to find a replacement.
    So did T-Will.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

So did T-Will.
    Got 'em

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast