Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Center John Sullivan shines in his first start

"Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    WTF is this kaka del rio. This guy got beat up and down the field, was constantly in the QBs throwing lane and looked like pooh. WTF is this he played well crap. In the gameday chat, I had a running ticker of consecutive plays of him getting blown up. I believe I stopped at 5. Rodgers is talented but not consistant and he dominanted our boy in the middle. The quote that let's me know this is bull pooh is from Childress saying that he after he gave up the sack he was clear eyed...WTF? Why is a Center giving up a sack to a fricken 3-4 defense?
    A rookie Center in his first game goes against an elite DT and you still want to stomp all over him? Please. He did his job and contained the man even though he was overmatched. Rogers was silent for a large portion of the game. He may have room to improve, but nonetheless this is a great starting point.
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.
    3) Rodgers is not an ELITE DT. At this point he is a good DT but is very up and down like he always is.
    4) http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...64-yard-TD-run
    Who blew his block on this play! I'm not trying to stomp on the guy but lets not say that he played well like this article is trying to sell. He didn't play well now did he "SHINE". Are you guys serious?
    That is your definition of a blown block? Haha. Rogers didn't even lay a finger on AD. Was it a pancake? No, but his chip got the job done. Come to me with a clip where his guy tackles AD in the backfield, then we'll talk.

AD doesn't get touched until he's 8 yards downfield, and you want criticize OL performance on that play? Please. The man let up one sack, and had one penalty. We have seen much much worse.
    I think it's perfectly fine to criticize players for missed assignments, even if the play works out.

I also think Sullivan did an okay job here, while Herrera and Loadholt looked poor compared to what I would expect.

Herrera and Loadholt need to get a move on when the play starts and take their tracks on zone plays.
    They take an initial step left, but both of them then look to catch someone.
    It looked like Herrera might have thought the LB over the top of him was going to blitz, and Loadholt expected to take on the DE.
    They both stood in place instead of taking their tracks and going after the first person they ran into.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at Kleinsasser on that play.
    He's lined up just outside of Loadholt.
    He takes his first step left, keeps his shoulders parallel to the line, and keeps his feet moving left as he engages the DE.
    His block looks easier before the play than Herrera's because the DE is in the gap instead of head up on the guy next to him, but the DE attacked straight into the gap while Rodgers went towards Herrera's gap.
    Sullivan also got a pretty good chip on Rodgers to help Herrera out.

Loadholt just ends up wandering around lost.
    He probably should have either gotten the first shot on the LB that Sullivan picks up, or been downfield looking for a DB (he might have had an outside shot at the guy AD had to toss to the ground).

Now, the backside isn't usually as important, and wasn't on this play.
    But AD likes to cut it back from time to time.
    Also, you just want them to do a good job every play.
    So I figure it's fair to question.
    But Sully looked okay on that play in my book.
    The chip was not performed. He has to help Herrea get there. That's the purpose. Even the announcer mentions it. He nearly cause that play
    to go for a lost. HOW IN HELL IS IT ANTHONY's fault? He is lined up outside shoulder of Rodgers and the play is going to the left. Are you telling me you expect Herrea to beat him to the play side? Go to 1:43 seconds on the video. Sully is hat on hat on Rodgers and does a poor job of chipping. His saving grace on this play is that he got to the LILB on this play but that is easy to do when you let you man go cleanly. Clearly, he didn't SHINE on that play.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    WTF is this kaka del rio. This guy got beat up and down the field, was constantly in the QBs throwing lane and looked like pooh. WTF is this he played well crap. In the gameday chat, I had a running ticker of consecutive plays of him getting blown up. I believe I stopped at 5. Rodgers is talented but not consistant and he dominanted our boy in the middle. The quote that let's me know this is bull pooh is from Childress saying that he after he gave up the sack he was clear eyed...WTF? Why is a Center giving up a sack to a fricken 3-4 defense?
    A rookie Center in his first game goes against an elite DT and you still want to stomp all over him? Please. He did his job and contained the man even though he was overmatched. Rogers was silent for a large portion of the game. He may have room to improve, but nonetheless this is a great starting point.
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.
    3) Rodgers is not an ELITE DT. At this point he is a good DT but is very up and down like he always is.
    Who blew his block on this play! I'm not trying to stomp on the guy but lets not say that he played well like this article is trying to sell. He didn't play well now did he "SHINE". Are you guys serious?
    I think your assessment of play is off.
    Watch how Mayock disects the play. Sully was to chip Rodgers so Herrera could pick him up, then seal off the backside linebacker.
    When Rodgers jumps the gap to Sully's right, he move to the LB.
    Rodgers was Herrera's man at that point.
    I think you are being harsh on the first time starter.
    He did not chip and he left Herrea in a terrible spot. Had AD not hit the hole like only he can, this is a tackle for a lost. Watch it again. Herrea barely gets a hand on Rodgers and it's only AD's speed that egts him to the hole and helps him avoid an ankle tackle.
    Sullivan getting to the second level quickly is the difference between a 5 yard gain and getting AD in open space, which led to a 64 yard TD scamper. If you would rather have him get a better chip than make sure the LB gets blocked, you need to question play design and not Sullivan's performance.

In the end, he did his job.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=53246.msg996441#msg996441 date=1253202992]
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.
    That is your definition of a blown block? Haha. Rogers didn't even lay a finger on AD. Was it a pancake? No, but his chip got the job done. Come to me with a clip where his guy tackles AD in the backfield, then we'll talk.

AD doesn't get touched until he's 8 yards downfield, and you want criticize OL performance on that play? Please. The man let up one sack, and had one penalty. We have seen much much worse.
    I think it's perfectly fine to criticize players for missed assignments, even if the play works out.

I also think Sullivan did an okay job here, while Herrera and Loadholt looked poor compared to what I would expect.

Herrera and Loadholt need to get a move on when the play starts and take their tracks on zone plays.
    It looked like Herrera might have thought the LB over the top of him was going to blitz, and Loadholt expected to take on the DE.
    They both stood in place instead of taking their tracks and going after the first person they ran into.

He takes his first step left, keeps his shoulders parallel to the line, and keeps his feet moving left as he engages the DE.
    His block looks easier before the play than Herrera's because the DE is in the gap instead of head up on the guy next to him, but the DE attacked straight into the gap while Rodgers went towards Herrera's gap.

He probably should have either gotten the first shot on the LB that Sullivan picks up, or been downfield looking for a DB (he might have had an outside shot at the guy AD had to toss to the ground).

With all due respect, I think you are being way too over critical.

1. They are on the backside of this play. Their main job is to stop pursuit into the backfield. This explains their initial step to the left, ensuring that any gap shooter will be denied from getting AD in the backfield. This also explains their "look to catch someone". Not all run blocking involves FB style lead blocks. Mayock even says this when analyzing Rice's block at the end.

2. Sauce does the same thing that Herrera and Loadholt do. The only difference is that he has to reach for the DE, who is lined up on the play-side gap. He realizes that in order to stop backside pursuit he'll have to get off the ball quickly, and so he does. You yourself noticed this.

3. Loadholt has nobody to block. Their number two priority is to not commit a penalty. Why would he block Sullivan's man towards the play? Why would he risk a block in the back on that LB on a DB downfield?

4. Minimal backside pursuit. No dumb unnecessary penalty. With both jobs done, I'm happy. I'm sure you can understand that OL roles vary from play to play. As long as each OL takes care of business we'll be fine, even if Loadholt does nothing while Hutch has to seal the hole.

5. There was no missed block on this play. You talk about how AD likes to cut it back, but a lot of cutbacks are actually by design. The OL creates options and cutback lanes for the RB on purpose. Pause that video at exactly 2:00 and tell me that a cutback lane does not exist.

In the end, it is not whether they did a good job, it is how we define a good job where we differ. And also, you might want to find a play where things actually went wrong if you want to criticize.
    [/quote]

I think you are mixing him and I up V. I posted the videos and just because we scored doesn't mean that the play cannot be critiqued. Coaches have and will chew a player out on a scoring play. Sometimes 1 players godly effort overcomes a mistake. Do you pretend it didn't happen because we scored? In the end his block almost caused the demise of the play. I can go and find plays of him getting blown up but I suspect we will see enough of that this season. He simply doesn't seem to be strong enough. I want Cook to start at center for us.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.

I'm going to cut Loadholdt a break.
    I'm sure the zone blocking on run plays isn't easy for him to pick up, besides he's not the right size for the scheme anyway.

Also, he is a rookie in his first NFL game and going up against a 3-4 with LB's blitzing.

It can't be easy for the guy.
    I'm going to hold my judgement till I see how he progresses.
    Also, he's better than Cook.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Ranger is offline Coach

"kevoncox" wrote:
    WTF is this kaka del rio. This guy got beat up and down the field, was constantly in the QBs throwing lane and looked like pooh. WTF is this he played well crap. In the gameday chat, I had a running ticker of consecutive plays of him getting blown up. I believe I stopped at 5. Rodgers is talented but not consistant and he dominanted our boy in the middle. The quote that let's me know this is bull pooh is from Childress saying that he after he gave up the sack he was clear eyed...WTF? Why is a Center giving up a sack to a fricken 3-4 defense? Again, some just refuse to admit that we made a mistake in letting Birk go this early. I am having nightmares about what Casey Hampton and Ngata are going to do. In case I wasn't clear...
    Grade: D+
    Ngata usually plays on the end, so he'll be thumping against our guards and tackles.
    Their nose guard is big Gregg.

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.
    Watch how Mayock disects the play. Sully was to chip Rodgers so Herrera could pick him up, then seal off the backside linebacker.
    He did not chip and he left Herrea in a terrible spot. Had AD not hit the hole like only he can, this is a tackle for a lost. Watch it again. Herrea barely gets a hand on Rodgers and it's only AD's speed that egts him to the hole and helps him avoid an ankle tackle.
    Sullivan getting to the second level quickly is the difference between a 5 yard gain and getting AD in open space, which led to a 64 yard TD scamper. If you would rather have him get a better chip than make sure the LB gets blocked, you need to question play design and not Sullivan's performance.

[/quote]
    He can block Rodgers and still get to the second level. He left early and did not give our RG a chance to get on the guy. You guys can continue to pretend that he didnt but it's clear and the NFL announce agrees with me( or me with him, you choose)
    [move]It's clear as you see Rodgers chasing down AD playside!!!!!![/move]
    When executed right, he would have chipped properly and still get on the LILB. Getting to the second level is a bonus. Almost any OG can get to the second level if they basically ignore their primary resonsibility and that is Blocking any one Lined up Hat on Hat with you. You see it all the time with RBs that are suppose to chip longer and then peel out to the flats. It's a fine line and Sully did not do it correctly. We were lucky that AD turned on the burners like he did. Everything else playside was great.

"Ranger" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    WTF is this kaka del rio. This guy got beat up and down the field, was constantly in the QBs throwing lane and looked like pooh. WTF is this he played well crap. In the gameday chat, I had a running ticker of consecutive plays of him getting blown up. I believe I stopped at 5. Rodgers is talented but not consistant and he dominanted our boy in the middle. The quote that let's me know this is bull pooh is from Childress saying that he after he gave up the sack he was clear eyed...WTF? Why is a Center giving up a sack to a fricken 3-4 defense? Again, some just refuse to admit that we made a mistake in letting Birk go this early. I am having nightmares about what Casey Hampton and Ngata are going to do. In case I wasn't clear...
    Ngata usually plays on the end, so he'll be thumping against our guards and tackles.
    They rotate them with frequency. Sometimes Ngata is inside. sometimes outside. It depends on down and distance. Gregg is the run stuffer not the penetrator.

This is from what I have noticed watching their games in the DC, VA area.

Ranger is offline Coach

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    They rotate them with frequency. Sometimes Ngata is inside. sometimes outside. It depends on down and distance. Gregg is the run stuffer not the penetrator.

It's where I live too, homeskillet.
    You near Leesburg?
    I'm just outside of there now, moving to King George's soon, sadly.
    The People's Republic of Maryland.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=53246.msg996445#msg996445 date=1253203368]
    1) He is not a rookie.
    2) He got dominanted.

[/quote]
    He can block Rodgers and still get to the second level. He left early and did not give our RG a chance to get on the guy. You guys can continue to pretend that he didnt but it's clear and the NFL announce agrees with me( or me with him, you choose)
    [move]It's clear as you see Rodgers chasing down AD playside!!!!!![/move]
    When executed right, he would have chipped properly and still get on the LILB. Getting to the second level is a bonus. Almost any OG can get to the second level if they basically ignore their primary resonsibility and that is Blocking any one Lined up Hat on Hat with you. You see it all the time with RBs that are suppose to chip longer and then peel out to the flats. It's a fine line and Sully did not do it correctly. We were lucky that AD turned on the burners like he did. Everything else playside was great.
    [/quote]

I understand that he did not do a great job on the play. I am simply saying he did good enough, as AD reached the second level untouched.

In any event, using this play to come to the conclusion that "Sully played like crap" is ridiculous. He got a B- for his blocking on a 64 yard TD run. Please come to me with something else, because whining about a missed chip when he still sealed his LB and AD still got into the open field is not going to work. Saying he got saved by luck is not going to work. Show me a play where he gets beat and the QB gets sacked, or where the DT blows up the running play in the backfield, and I will surely agree that Sully didn't do his job. AS of right now, the good far outweighs the bad, and that is very positive for a player that is as unexperienced as he is.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"Ranger" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

It's where I live too, homeskillet.
    You near Leesburg?
    I'm just outside of there now, moving to King George's soon, sadly.
    The People's Republic of Maryland.
    I'm in ashburn! Small world!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast