Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Center John Sullivan shines in his first start

[size=13pt]Vikings center John Sullivan shines in his first start[/size]

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]
    Updated: 09/15/2009 11:58:43 PM CDT

Now that they've beaten Cleveland, the Vikings play four more games this season against teams that line up in a similar 3-4 base defense, including two matchups with Green Bay and games against Baltimore and Pittsburgh....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Center John Sullivan shines in his first start

He had issues with blocking Rodgers for sure. But for a 1st year guy he seems to be holding up well so far.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Sully will get some lumps early this year, but he is a hard worker and will improve every game. By the time we play the Steelers, Packers, and Ravens he should be ready to go.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

Now that they've beaten Cleveland, the Vikings play four more games this season against teams that line up in a similar 3-4 base defense, including two matchups with Green Bay and games against Baltimore and Pittsburgh....

I believe the 49ers also run the 3-4 defense.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

That is incorrect. They run a 4-3.

Also, very good article. I'm certainly impressed with both Sullivan and Loadholt's performance in that first game. The OL did not miss a beat. Sure, the Browns did generate QB pressure, but that was about all that their defense did correctly. They blitzed and in the end their gameplan didn't work. Sullivan went up against a Pro Bowl caliber DT and basically won the battle.

Interesting note on the Browns offensive gameplan. They thought that they could run the ball against us? There are so many things wrong with that theory that I don't know where to begin:
    1. Going against best run D in the NFL
    2. Have an RB stable of Jamal Lewis and ?????
    3. Have an underrated OL, but not that underrated.
    4. Main offensive weapon is at WR, with a speedster accross from him.
    5. Young QB, get the ball out of his hands quick. Get him in a rhythm early. Long 3rd downs certainly didn't help Quinn's cause.

"I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

Wrong, they run a 4 - 3, but their middle LB is so quick and strong it SEEMS like there are two of him out there. ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

Wrong, they run a 4 - 3, but their middle LB is so quick and strong it SEEMS like there are two of him out there. ;D
    That would be a 5-3.....
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

That is incorrect. They run a 4-3.

Also, very good article. I'm certainly impressed with both Sullivan and Loadholt's performance in that first game. The OL did not miss a beat. Sure, the Browns did generate QB pressure, but that was about all that their defense did correctly. They blitzed and in the end their gameplan didn't work. Sullivan went up against a Pro Bowl caliber DT and basically won the battle.

Interesting note on the Browns offensive gameplan. They thought that they could run the ball against us? There are so many things wrong with that theory that I don't know where to begin:
    1. Going against best run D in the NFL
    2. Have an RB stable of Jamal Lewis and ?????
    3. Have an underrated OL, but not that underrated.
    4. Main offensive weapon is at WR, with a speedster accross from him.
    5. Young QB, get the ball out of his hands quick. Get him in a rhythm early. Long 3rd downs certainly didn't help Quinn's cause.

Might want to check your facts on that 4-3 you are so damn sure about.

Try reading this article from last Sundays game. It may be inciteful.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/...iew.php?id=766
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

The 49ers do run a 3-4 base.
    They'll mix up fronts a bit, so you'll see some 4-3 or 4 man fronts in nickle etc., but their base is 3-4.
    Go ahead and check game tape or highlights if you can, but if not just check out their own depth chart (link).

As for Sullivan, I think saying he shined in his first game is a bit of a stretch.
    I haven't gone back and looked at every block he did or didn't make, but there are a few plays that standout that he missed.
    And when the coach praises you by saying you weren't wide-eyed coming to the bench, well... that's not exactly high praise for your individual game performance.
    I seem to remember Tarvaris got a lot of that type of praise.

That being said, it was his first game as a starter against a pretty good nose tackle.
    He didn't get completely run over the entire game, either because he was doing okay or the coaches didn't put him in bad spots.
    So that's good.
    Plus, he's got plenty of time to improve.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

WTF is this kaka del rio. This guy got beat up and down the field, was constantly in the QBs throwing lane and looked like pooh. WTF is this he played well crap. In the gameday chat, I had a running ticker of consecutive plays of him getting blown up. I believe I stopped at 5. Rodgers is talented but not consistant and he dominanted our boy in the middle. The quote that let's me know this is bull pooh is from Childress saying that he after he gave up the sack he was clear eyed...WTF? Why is a Center giving up a sack to a fricken 3-4 defense? Again, some just refuse to admit that we made a mistake in letting Birk go this early. I am having nightmares about what Casey Hampton and Ngata are going to do. In case I wasn't clear...
    Grade: D+

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast