Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cedric Griffin May Play Week 1

Traveling_Vike wrote:
    I'd have to believe that, after dragging himself up out of the turf the third or fourth time, Bress would be inclined to veto the 4-wide sets. And if he's smart, so would Payton.

Won't help in the long run, though. We'll still get to him.
    After a burning Abdullah, Lito, and Asher a few times for big plays and TDs. They will continue to go with the 4 wide.

If our first line of CB's was Winfield, Griffen, Cook and Asher, I think they would back off a bit. But Winfield, Asher, Lito, and Abdullah just makes Payton will be licking his chops to go downtown with 4 wide.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't think he had any chance of playing, probably a smoke screen. We need him back so badly.
    We're bringing purple back.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather have Griff sit and heal completely than rush back and possibly prolong his injury.

If the risk of him prolonging his injured state is high, stay on the bench. Sure, we're disadvantaged by playing the other guys, but they're on the roster for a reason...make 'em show us WHY.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

gagarr wrote:
    "Best" doesn't mean "Good"

I still think the Saints are going to test him early with 4 WRs. Success will make for a long day if the pass rush isn't getting to Brees fast enough.
    He didn't do to bad in the 3 games he played CB last year.....

Just saying.

Familiar with the scheme. Has the skill set to play both S and CB (alot of our Secondary can do that by the by).......

I think we will be fine with him back there. Even if they brought in the best CB avialable, is there anyone out there that is either a) Better than Hussien? or b) Able to just jump into the scheme and produce.

From looking at the waiver wire, not much out there.

Walter Football CB FA's

Shawn Springs.....Smoot.....Paymah?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

I still think the Saints are going to test him early with 4 WRs. Success will make for a long day if the pass rush isn't getting to Brees fast enough.

Just saying.

Familiar with the scheme. Has the skill set to play both S and CB (alot of our Secondary can do that by the by).......

I think we will be fine with him back there. Even if they brought in the best CB avialable, is there anyone out there that is either a) Better than Hussien? or b) Able to just jump into the scheme and produce.

Walter Football CB FA's

I'm not saying there's a better option, my comment was directed at midgensa who wrote:

No team goes 4 wide that often because it gets QBs killed. They went 4 wide like an average of 4 times a game or something like that last season.
    Which IMO the Saints will use 4 wide early and often to put as much pressure Abdullah as possible, until it stops working.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

NodakPaul wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    If they go 4 wide, we're getting to Brees. Believe that.
    This ... I don't know what people are so scared of "4 wide."

No team goes 4 wide that often because it gets QBs killed. They went 4 wide like an average of 4 times a game or something like that last season.

The depth problem is not "what do we do when they go 4 wide" it is what do we do when they go three wide and we have to play ALL of our corners EVERY play.
    I imagine since we have a 3rd sting safety covering the 4th wide out they would be smart to go to 4 wide. This is unless Griff is back. Brees is more than capable of avoiding pressure to get it to an open WR for a big play.
    Not if we play them tight. Jam at the line, it throws off everyone's timing. The 1/2 second we get from that will make the difference.

4 Wide sounds scary, but it's not. 4 WRs mean either one back, or one TE, who MUST be in protection against us.

3 corners + a safety over the top, plus linebackers in coverage, and the quality of our pass rush makes a pretty favorable matchup for me IMO.

My only concern, shared by Midgensa, is 3 guys playing all game.

We have to keep our D off the field.

Do I think Brees won't make a play against us? Certainly not, but I do believe in 4 wide we have the advantage.
    I think we will see our DL being rotated HEAVILY in this game to keep them fresh. That will up our pass rush and hopefully keep the entire defense off the field.
    This may be one area of advantage we will have. It is very humid down there today, and it will be hot in that dome.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

Just saying.

Walter Football CB FA's

I worry more about Lito Smoot than anyone else back there.Was less than impressed by him in the preseason.

Also would mention that Johnson played well against the Saints last year.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

Just saying.

Walter Football CB FA's

I worry more about Lito Smoot than anyone else back there.Was less than impressed by him in the preseason.

Also would mention that Johnson played well against the Saints last year.
    I'll take your word for it on Lito. So if he doesn't play well the Vikes are even in worse trouble. Let's just hope everyone plays above themselves and slows Brees down at least a little.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

If we can get through tonight relatively unscathed we will be fine as Cook is due back by week 2 or 3, Grif looks ahead of schedule. IF we struggle I would look for the Pay-mah-rent tour to return to MN.

I think that based on where the teams are and the fact that it is week 1, we will be fine.

slavinator wrote:
    If we can get through tonight relatively unscathed we will be fine as Cook is due back by week 2 or 3, Grif looks ahead of schedule. IF we struggle I would look for the Pay-mah-rent tour to return to MN.

I think that based on where the teams are and the fact that it is week 1, we will be fine.
    Even if the Vikes struggle, I don't see Paymah being any solution, because of his short team pickup.

I would stand pat, because the Fins and Lions aren't going to go 4 wide much if at all and Paymah would only be that last CB if they do. After the bye Vikes will be at full strength. Although I doubt the Vikes will need much DB's for the Jets as I expect Sanchez to implode under all the expectations and hype, the Jets are dishing out.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast