Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    purpledoom is offline Starter
    I have a deep seated fear that Ponder will start in two weeks despite what the tape says. Cassell showed more confidence more arm and apparently if you listen to AD more command in the huddle. It would also seem, reading between the lines that his teammates liked that.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    On the first play I went, "WTF was that a slant!?"

On the next play I said, "Holy Shit! Was that 2 first down completions in a row!???"

And then we stalled out and kicked a long FG, and I thought, ahh, just a glimpse of difference, but not really all that much...until Jennings took off with his first catch for a 70 yard score!

Seriously tho, Cassel has way, way, way more zip on his throws and averaged roughly twice the yards per attempt than Ponder has throughout his career...there shouldn't even be much conversation about who should start. And, the team seemed to respond better to him too, they were actually trying to win instead of just going through the motions.

Lucky for us, I think a broken rib near the heart should be excuse enough to give Cassel at least a few more starts before really making that decision...I hope
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I suspect (hope) that Ponder's ribs will be sore for a while. Cassell earned the right to start against Carolina. The offense looked much better yesterday than in the first three games.

Not sure of Frazier's motivation to claim that Ponder is our QB. But no matter the motivation or rationale, I think the Vikings need to put Cassell in against Carolina at a minimum. The only thing I can try to rationalize is that they still have hope that Ponder is a long term answer and if they bench him now they are essentially saying we have moved on and that answer is a hard one to swallow. Or, they really don't have much faith in Cassell as more than a band aid.

Backup quarterbacks quite often come in and provide a spark that can turn things around. I would like to see how far he can take it.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    IMO, only acceptable time to boo, when we punt when we should be going for it, kicking a field goal from the 1, Coach makes a serious screwup (challenging a non-challengable call), knee to end a half/go to OT when it takes two knees to run the clock out. Things like that. ponder trotting out of the field, isn't it. Support your team.
    Sorry, brother of the purple, but you and I just disagree here. This isn't high school football, this is first and foremost a business to these guys on the field, and THAT is something they all emphasize. If the Bears offer any of them more money, they will peel off the purple in a heartbeat.

We pay too much for the tickets, too much for the gear to represent, and too much so we can see our team if we don't live locally. Since they are willing to suck every penny they can for their "business", we have the right to criticize them if they do not put out the best product for our consumption.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Sorry, brother of the purple, but you and I just disagree here. This isn't high school football, this is first and foremost a business to these guys on the field, and THAT is something they all emphasize. If the Bears offer any of them more money, they will peel off the purple in a heartbeat.

We pay too much for the tickets, too much for the gear to represent, and too much so we can see our team if we don't live locally. Since they are willing to suck every penny they can for their "business", we have the right to criticize them if they do not put out the best product for our consumption.
    You buy the ticket you have the right. I'm not much of a boo'er myself (except for at that refs who always seem to get on my nerve), but don't have a problem with people booing if they aren't happy with what they are seeing. It's all part of the game, if you can't handle public scrutiny, find a different way to make a living.

I just want to point out I don't think it would EVER occur to a Vikings fan to bring 'D' batteries to throw at their team if they stunk up the field. Eagles fans are rabid animals that make humanity look bad.

Hell, they even make soccer fans look respectable...

OK, that might be going too far...

Maybe...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If there is no shame in charging what they do and placing that particular product on the field then there is certainly no shame in voicing your opinion of said product.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    If Ponder is a decent human being he should fake and ACL from now till 2019 at least
    El underdog.

Didn't Big Ben have the same type of rib injury last year late in the middle part of the season? I am almost sure of it, I had him as a starting QB on one of my fantasy teams. Since it is close to the heart, and it being broken could KILL the man, they kept him out for like 4 games.

If it is the same type of injury, we might see Cassel again next game for safety issues alone; we all might not like Ponder's game time skills, but I do not think anyone wants him to bleed out due to a big hit.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    If Cassel plays well enough, this rib injury may not heal until January !
    Even if Ponder were the franchise QB the Vikings have been looking for, he can't stay healthy.
    He runs more than he needs to and takes too many hits.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast