Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We saw evidence of that in the preseason. Cassel seemed to be getting calls from a bigger playbook than what Ponder has been.
    Same playbook he just doesn't get stuck on his first read.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    At least it will be something different. Personally, I'm tired of watching Ponder screw the pooch so badly. He is not a good quarterback to watch play the game from a fan's standpoint. I watched Peyton the other night and man was that a revelation as to how bad Ponder is. If Cassell falls on his face, maybe Bethel guy can come in and be the next Kurt Warner.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Prediction:
    If Ponder started:
    16-27 237 yds. 1 TD, 2 Int, 1fumble lost
    Cassel
    19-25 275 yds. 2 td 1 int

Not much difference in my estimation except that Ponder is such a bad QB and he is unable to hit open receivers or throw the long ball, teams play 8 and 9 man fronts all day against the Vikes. Cassel (if he has anything left) can hit open guys and teams will have to relax and allow AD to run the rock

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I think the move makes sense. Expectations are not real high, but hopefully his experience will at least lead to more confidence in his play. If the rest of the team continues to fail then not sure better QB play will be enough to make it up.

Maybe the injury is real:

Fantasy Football News - NFL.com

Ponder has a fractured rib and will not play Sunday against the Steelers, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "They just made a decision for what's best for me and my health and this team," Ponder said. "It stinks but it is what it is. But I'll be back for Carolina."

Impacts: Matt Cassel Will start with Ponder out. A CT scan showed the broken rib is near Ponder's heart, so doctors were worried about him doing more damage. As a result, it doesn't seem a given he'll be back in two weeks, plus it's possible he could lose the starting job if Cassel plays well.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

I'm surprised that they didn't give him a scan prior to leaving Minneapolis on Monday as that sounds an injury that is not too good to have. Can't believe they waited until getting to England before thinking " lets give him a scan "
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    I'm surprised that they didn't give him a scan prior to leaving Minneapolis on Monday as that sounds an injury that is not too good to have. Can't believe they waited until getting to England before thinking " lets give him a scan "
    Apparently the CT scan was done on Monday. I assume it was before they left?

I just googled "when did the vikings leave for England" and got a whole different answer than I was looking for

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The difference must have been that extra injury Ponder suffered. Jennings bruised Ponders ego after stating Cassel was "more commanding" of the team
    HaHa! But seriously, this team lacks a leader so bad! Frazier doesn't say/do much, Ponder sulks by himself on the sidelines, it wouldn't take much for the team to rally around a guy. Hopefully, maybe, Cassell gets a lil more belief in and effort out of the rest of the offense, specially the OL.

Or should I just root for a top-five pick now?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Look, Cassel might be just as bad as Ponder, but the difference will be we KNOW that now. It will make the undeniable case that the Vikings need to draft a QB next year.

I was horrified when a friend of mine suggested that Ponder might get this whole season to stink up the field, and they signed Cassel to 2 years, so he gets NEXT year. Just imagine THAT without vomiting a little in your mouth...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

Injury may be real - it may not be. Doesn't matter.

What matters is this is a golden opportunity for Cassel. And maybe a chance (albeit a small one) for the Vikings to right the ship a bit.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast