Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cassel starting QB Sunday - confirmed

Confirmed that Cassel will be starting in place on Ponder on Sunday - Vikes cite Ponders rib injury as reason

Minnesota Vikings: Matt Cassel will start for Christian Ponder - NFL.com
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is online now PPO Newshound
    The difference must have been that extra injury Ponder suffered. Jennings bruised Ponders ego after stating Cassel was "more commanding" of the team

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    The only problem is that Ponder took the majority of 1st team snaps yesterday. I just hope that Cassel has had enough today to feel comfortable in starting. The only thing to see now will be to see how much help Cassel gets from Musgrave in terms of playcalling - will he still call the same way as in recent weeks or will he trust his QB that little more?

singersp is online now PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    The only problem is that Ponder took the majority of 1st team snaps yesterday. I just hope that Cassel has had enough today to feel comfortable in starting. The only thing to see now will be to see how much help Cassel gets from Musgrave in terms of playcalling - will he still call the same way as in recent weeks or will he trust his QB that little more?
    We saw evidence of that in the preseason. Cassel seemed to be getting calls from a bigger playbook than what Ponder has been.

I'm not saying Musgrave is a great OC by any means, but I believe the limited handful of play calls Ponder has been getting is due to his limited abilities. If you have trouble hitting receivers on the fly on crossing patterns, there's only so much the OC can do to make you successful. One of Ponder's supposed strong points is hitting receivers while rolling to the right. That's why we see several of them. I think the rolling to the left plays we saw was an experiment that failed in an attempt to see if he could have similar success, in that in order to open up more options for him.

We will find out Sunday, what the difference will be in play calling.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Will also throw the Steelers a little bit as they have limited film of Cassel throwing within the Vikes offense. Maybe the edge we need in the battle of the 0-3 teams.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Ugh, I was really hoping we wouldn't see Cassel this year. My prediction: It will be similar to the preseason. He'll be bad but have CP take a dump off 70 yards to the house and everyone will talk about how amazing he his because his stat line was 210-1-1.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Im on board with Cassel starting, even if he sucks (can't be any worse, right?), its not like we're gonna make the playoffs and he isn't the guy we reached for and invested the 12th overall pick in 2yrs ago.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    The scary thing is that if Cassel plays as mediocre as I expect him to he could "earn" the starting spot next year in the eyes of the coaching staff based on his abilities as a "game manager".

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Yes!! I have no idea how much better Cassel is going to be but it was going to annoy the hell out of me if we didn't find out til 0-4.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    The scary thing is that if Cassel plays as mediocre as I expect him to he could "earn" the starting spot next year in the eyes of the coaching staff based on his abilities as a "game manager".
    If Cassel plays as mediocre as some expect then both him and the team won't make the playoffs. In that instance the coaching staff you see now won't be in place next year and I'd expect we would be looking at a QB not on the current roster as starter.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast