Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Fran Tarkenton: Matt Cassel's first start for Vikings shouldn't be his last

Fran Tarkenton: Matt Cassel's first start for Vikings shouldn't be his last - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    As I said before, I am not on any Cassel Bandwagon but he has shown he can be a winner with NE and his first year in KC. I believe it would take the right environment for that to happen though and that will be the question. Take a look at the change in Alex Smith since going from the 9ers to the Chiefs and their new staff. He has them at 4-0 (Of course Ponder did that too) and is looking much improved from what he was doing in SF.

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Thanks for the articles!! It's good to see the "experts" all seem to be echoing what is being said here.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    As I said before, I am not on any Cassel Bandwagon but he has shown he can be a winner with NE and his first year in KC. I believe it would take the right environment for that to happen though and that will be the question. Take a look at the change in Alex Smith since going from the 9ers to the Chiefs and their new staff. He has them at 4-0 (Of course Ponder did that too) and is looking much improved from what he was doing in SF.
    When Alex Smith was BENCHED for Kaepernick last year, he was the most efficient QB in the NFL and coming off an 18 for 19, 234 yards, 3 TDs and no picks performance in his last full game.

In the game he got hurt in, he was 7 for 8 for 72 yards and 1 TD when he went down.

I don't see that Alex Smith is doing better this year. He's doing the same. And winning - just like last year in SF (record at time of injury was 6-2).

Cassel, OTOH, was a complete train-wreck in KC - except for ONE season (2010 - his 2nd in KC). He regressed in 2011 and 2012.

I'm not saying he can't be successful the rest of the season. But he ain't Joe Freaking Montana. He's barely Gus Frerotte.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    When Alex Smith was BENCHED for Kaepernick last year, he was the most efficient QB in the NFL and coming off an 18 for 19, 234 yards, 3 TDs and no picks performance in his last full game.

In the game he got hurt in, he was 7 for 8 for 72 yards and 1 TD when he went down.

I don't see that Alex Smith is doing better this year. He's doing the same. And winning - just like last year in SF (record at time of injury was 6-2).

Cassel, OTOH, was a complete train-wreck in KC - except for ONE season (2010 - his 2nd in KC). He regressed in 2011 and 2012.

I'm not saying he can't be successful the rest of the season. But he ain't Joe Freaking Montana. He's barely Gus Frerotte.

=Z=
    We can't draft a Franchise QB in the middle of the season; nor can we sign one. What we have is a debate as to who should be leading this team. Hands down it's Cassell.

I bring this up time and time again. What Qbs have with our team should make their mouth water. Teams can really only play cover 3 or man with us. These coverages are easily beaten by the right throw and read. Matt didn't have that in KC and still had a damn good year in 2010. Ponder has had that his whole career and has done squat with it.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We can't draft a Franchise QB in the middle of the season; nor can we sign one. What we have is a debate as to who should be leading this team. Hands down it's Cassell.

I bring this up time and time again. What Qbs have with our team should make their mouth water. Teams can really only play cover 3 or man with us. These coverages are easily beaten by the right throw and read. Matt didn't have that in KC and still had a damn good year in 2010. Ponder has had that his whole career and has done squat with it.
    In 2010, Jamaal Charles was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards and was a first team All-Pro (note I am NOT bringing up the freaking Pro Bowl idiocy). How can you say that Cassel didn't have there what he has now? And the result? First-round playoff loss where Cassel was 9 for 18 for 70 yards and THREE PICKS! Down-right Webb-like performance there.

Cassel is mediocre. His first-half on Sunday was a horrible as ANYTHING Ponder has ever done. He was rescued from his terrible play by bad tackling on Jennings' TD, by the brilliance of AD on the long TD and the inability of Ike Taylor to catch a ball.

I'm NOT saying Ponder is better. I'm NOT saying Ponder should start.

What I am saying is that to portray Cassel as anything other than mediocre ignores the actual numbers in favor of hope and loose observations about intangibles which we have no idea exist or not.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    In 2010, Jamaal Charles was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards and was a first team All-Pro (note I am NOT bringing up the freaking Pro Bowl idiocy). How can you say that Cassel didn't have there what he has now? And the result? First-round playoff loss where Cassel was 9 for 18 for 70 yards and THREE PICKS! Down-right Webb-like performance there.

Cassel is mediocre. His first-half on Sunday was a horrible as ANYTHING Ponder has ever done. He was rescued from his terrible play by bad tackling on Jennings' TD, by the brilliance of AD on the long TD and the inability of Ike Taylor to catch a ball.

I'm NOT saying Ponder is better. I'm NOT saying Ponder should start.

What I am saying is that to portray Cassel as anything other than mediocre ignores the actual numbers in favor of hope and loose observations about intangibles which we have no idea exist or not.

=Z=
    Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting it up in SD, but with the right team and coach, he became a LOT better. I am NOT saying Cassel = Brees... I am saying even someone like Drew Brees can look mediocre on the wrong team.

Was that Cassel's problem in KC? Who knows? But as someone else said, we can't draft a QB right now, and the choice is either Cassel or Ponder. If we can get a few more games to see what Cassel looks like NOW, in THIS environment, we will know how high we need to draft a QB next year.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

=Z=
    Didn't he have a good season in 2008 too, that would be two seasons with 10 wins both with over 3100 yards passing....he might not be Montana but he is looking like he is the best qb on the current roster

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting it up in SD, but with the right team and coach, he became a LOT better. I am NOT saying Cassel = Brees... I am saying even someone like Drew Brees can look mediocre on the wrong team.
    That would be an interesting point if Brees was actually struggling in San Diego. He was still an above average QB for the Chargers, Cassel is not an above average QB.

Brees played fairly well in SD, not great, but decently.

In his first full year as a starter, 3284 yards, 17TD, 16INT, 76QBR. As a first time starter, that's not that bad, better than any QB we've had in their first season as a starter

Second year, he got hurt, but wasn't having a very good year.

third year, 3159 yards, 27TD, 7INT, 104.8QBR, 7.9YPA (Pretty damn good for a young QB. Efficient, limited turnovers, not a ton of yards, but they didn't need that, they had LT in his prime)
    Fourth Year, 3576 yards, 24TD, 15INT, 84.2QBR, 7.2YPA (again, pretty good. More yards, more picks though)

Can we please pretend that Brees was a crappy QB in San Diego, and all of a sudden turned it on in New Orleans? Brees was a good QB, who wasn't asked to be a superstar like Manning or Brees (ironically). He was a decent game manager in San Diego, and really turned it on when they went to a deep passing game in NO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast