Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler

Cassel/Ponder Thread

Since we are going into a BYE week, and not all of us live in Minnesota, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where people can post updates and links to stories on whether Cassel will get the next start or if Frazier has gone insane and sticks with Ponder.

I truly appreciate this site and you locals/web gurus that keep people like me in the loop, and this is one story I want to keep up on.

Just for the record, before I completely buy into "Cassel is the answer!!", I would like to see him play at least one more game, preferably 2. Hell, even Ryan Leaf could look good in ONE game...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well, I will start out by saying that while Cassel might not be the answer his performance was enough to prove that ponder certainly isn't and while he may turn out to not be enough in the end to solidify the position we can rest assured that we need to go a different direction than waiting for Ponder to heal and watch some more tape. So if nothing else we at least have an idea of what the team can do with a marginal improvement under center and we should now focus on whether cassel can come in and take things up a notch or whether that is going to have to come from a 3rd option because clearly going back to Ponder would be going backwards at the position.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well, I will start out by saying that while Cassel might not be the answer
    Depends what the question is. Quarterback of the future? Hell no. Quarterback for the rest of the season? Yeah, I think it's worth a shot.
    his performance was enough to prove that ponder certainly isn't and while he may turn out to not be enough in the end to solidify the position we can rest assured that we need to go a different direction than waiting for Ponder to heal and watch some more tape. So if nothing else we at least have an idea of what the team can do with a marginal improvement under center and we should now focus on whether cassel can come in and take things up a notch or whether that is going to have to come from a 3rd option because clearly going back to Ponder would be going backwards at the position.
    A rusty Cassel who has spent offseason and 3 weeks throwing to backups was able to come in and look better than Ponder against the #3 pass defense in the league with minimal time to get in sync with his receivers.

If that is this week, I think he can look actually pretty good given two weeks to prepare for Carolina. As long as we give him first team reps this week, there's no reason he can't have a pretty damn good game.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    There should be no question that Cassell will be the starter. Even Ponder had to be watching that game going, "I am SO on the bench".....

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If Fraizer spends more than this week worrying about which QB to start week 6, he should spend the next week worrying about which HC will start week 7.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Depends what the question is. Quarterback of the future? Hell no. Quarterback for the rest of the season? Yeah, I think it's worth a shot.

A rusty Cassel who has spent offseason and 3 weeks throwing to backups was able to come in and look better than Ponder against the #3 pass defense in the league with minimal time to get in sync with his receivers.

If that is this week, I think he can look actually pretty good given two weeks to prepare for Carolina. As long as we give him first team reps this week, there's no reason he can't have a pretty damn good game.
    We have seen guys come in and look good for a game and then fall apart so like i said, I am not going to jump on any bandwagons at this point. I hope he can come in and get the job done because even that level of performance yesterday was enough to have us at 4-0 against who we have played this year. But can he build on it or not? Some guys get better, some guys get figured out by the defense and regress. The jury is still out but it was a welcome change.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Only Question that matters is:Will Leslie Frazier have the guts to throw his Qb under the bus and start. Cassel?
    El underdog.

rednorsk is offline Rookie
    Frazier already said Ponder is our QB.
    None

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rednorsk View Post
    Frazier already said Ponder is our QB.
    Yes, but he said it immediately in the post game, and later on in the same press conference he said that he would have to watch tape and they would have to make decisions as a team. He said that "without looking at any tape" Ponder was the starter.... but he left that open.

Cassel will be starting against Carolina. Mark my words.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Cassel won the game for the Vikings. Hopefully after the Bye Week, the team will decide if Cassel is worthy to start another game.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast