Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Norseman The Cassel-Jennings Connection

Inside The Film Room: Cassel-Jennings Connection

Matt Cassel started 6 out of 16 games in 2013 (7 games if you count the win against the Bear). MInnesota is naturally a run-heavy team with the best running back in the NFL so Cassel naturally won't get a huge amount of attempts.

Greg Jennings' stats for 2013: 68 receptions, 804 yards, 4 touchdowns.

This is where it gets interesting. 59% of Jennings receptions, 61% of his yards, and 100% of his TD's, all came from Cassel. That's remarkable considering Matt Cassel only started 37% of the games.

What if Matt Cassel was the starter from week one?

If we take Cassel's numbers and project them as if Cassel started all the games in 2013. His total stats would be 29 TD's, 24 INT's, and 4818 yards. All those would be career high numbers despite his successful break-out season in New England and Pro Bowl-season in Kansas City. The high number of turnovers is bad, but the projected yards would place him 3rd among QB's last year, while the TD's would place him 6th.

Think how much better Greg Jennings' stats would have been with Matt Cassel under the center from day one.

Fun fact: Greg Jennings played in all but one Vikings game in 2013. Guess you can say he silenced the durability criticism.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Not only did Jennings look better with Cassel, but I thought it was pretty obvious that the whole team played better and tried harder with the vet under center.

Cassel started 6 games and played most of one other, CHI at home, where he attempted 33 passes. We won 4 of those 7 games and damned near beat the Ravens on the road and that was without Peterson for 2 games and with AP totaling only 28 carries over 3 of the other games Cassel started/played most of. Not to mention all of the other, specially defensive, injuries that we had piled up by the end of the year...I mean we were literally starting pickups off the street at CB at the end there.

For the most part, I think we know what Cassel is, a good but not great QB, because his stats have been very consistent. In his 5 years of being a starting QB, he has completed between 55 and 63.4% with a career average of 59%. Last year as a Viking he completed 60.2%. What we're going to get is about 60% completions, not good, but decent given his higher average per completions. He may miss some of the more routine throws, but he tends to hit the deeper passes far more often than Ponder, and that is important because it is how we can take advantage of the defense' focus on Adrian Peterson.

Unfortunately, the other thing you get with Cassel is turnovers. He has thrown 64 INTs in 68 starts and fumbled the ball away 18 times. We are likely to get similar TD to turnover ratio as his career numbers (not including his first 3 as a non-playing backup in NE): 91/84. Definitely not good, but if we can limit our dependence on him with a healthier, more productive Peterson, it might be good enough to upset a few better teams and end up on the edge of the playoffs.

Cassel has also absorbed well over 2 sacks/game average over his career and could very likely be helped by better blocking up front too.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I',m really hoping Cassel can get some help from the new coaching staff on his turnovers. We all have heard, time and again, how a player made certain mistakes over and over, only to find a coach who who FINALLY teaches something that STICKS. After that life lesson, the player is just... better.

I'm hoping Turner can do that for Cassel. If he cuts his TOs in half, which is not really asking for the world, we are a playoff team. If he doesn't... well, I think we might be picking #8 in next year's draft as well unless we get a stud QB on May 8th.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    im a cassell fan ,he is a savy vet .he needs to get reps with the starting team and not get jerked around .he can lead this team ...so thats why we wait on a qb til 3rd or 4th round ...all depending who is available in the top 3rd round .we can add a lot of quality players in this years draft .

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Well I thought Matt Cassell made Musgrave look like he could call a game a little better. LOL that's saying a lot. I thought Cassell should have been starting. But Frazier and Co had a great plan in place. Sarcasm is running deep. But all in all we were a much better offense with Matt, more explosive. Im really excited for this season, I think Matts strengths play well in Norvs offense. In order for Norvs offense to be top notch, Qb has to make quick reads and decisions. Norv has never had a RB like Peterson to play with. Cant wait.....

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage4Order View Post
    Well I thought Matt Cassell made Musgrave look like he could call a game a little better. LOL that's saying a lot. I thought Cassell should have been starting. But Frazier and Co had a great plan in place. Sarcasm is running deep. But all in all we were a much better offense with Matt, more explosive. Im really excited for this season, I think Matts strengths play well in Norvs offense. In order for Norvs offense to be top notch, Qb has to make quick reads and decisions. Norv has never had a RB like Peterson to play with. Cant wait.....
    Didn't he have Emmitt Smith? And I say that in agreement, that Dallas team was unstoppable.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Didn't he have Emmitt Smith? And I say that in agreement, that Dallas team was unstoppable.
    Also had LT in San Diego.

But I agree with the original post about Cassel.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

The Cassel-Jennings Connection

Cassel was being toyed wit last season and he still played decent and i think wit turner as OC i can see Cassel playing like he once did in NE and KC wit tha type of weapons we have on offense and hopefully Zimmer can bring a much improve defense
    Last edited by 313zoe; 04-24-2014 at 08:10 PM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I',m really hoping Cassel can get some help from the new coaching staff on his turnovers. We all have heard, time and again, how a player made certain mistakes over and over, only to find a coach who who FINALLY teaches something that STICKS. After that life lesson, the player is just... better.

I'm hoping Turner can do that for Cassel. If he cuts his TOs in half, which is not really asking for the world, we are a playoff team. If he doesn't... well, I think we might be picking #8 in next year's draft as well unless we get a stud QB on May 8th.
    You mean like Turner did with Weeden? 9 TD's, 9 INT's & 6 fumbles.

What about Jason Campbell? 11 TD's, 8 INT's & 3 fumbles.

What about his OC stint with the 49ers & Alex Smith? Oh yeah, that's right, he had 16 TD's & 16 INT's & 6 fumbles.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-26-2014 at 04:50 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    You mean like Turner did with Weeden? 9 TD's, 9 INT's & 6 fumbles.

What about Jason Campbell? 11 TD's, 8 INT's & 3 fumbles.

What about his OC stint with the 49ers & Alex Smith? Oh yeah, that's right, he had 16 TD's & 16 INT's & 6 fumbles.
    Your leaving out the good one just to point out the crappy ones.
    Kerry Collins under Norv for 2 yrs.
    7254 yds 41 TDs 32 Ints. Nothing Great but then again were talking about Kerry Collins.

Troy Aikmans 2 yrs under Norv 92-93
    6545 Yds 38 Tds 20 Ints while throwing a career low of 6 ints in 93 and his career high in rating.

Phillip Rivers 2007-2012 under Norv
    24,355 Yds 176 Tds 83 Ints..

Do you guys notice a little trend about each of these 3 Qbs that had their best years under Norvs offense. Each one of these 3 qbs had strong arms and were pocket passers. Not to mention each one of these offenses were near the top of NFL. With exception of Giants under Collins not sure on where they ranked those 2 yrs.
    Last edited by Rage4Order; 04-26-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast