Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: The "casper" rule

I'm not remembering the play from last year's playoffs clearly. More specificly, I don't remember how long LJ had the ball. What I think I remember is that LJ got hit almost as soon as the ball got to him. In which case, he never had possesion, and the play would not be considered a fumble. It would be ruled that Mitchell caught a tipped pass. The play on Sunday was on a running play, and was very obviously a fumble.

And the "Casper" does refer to Dave Casper, TE, OAK. There was a play wherehe was attempting to recover a fumble, and couldn't get a handle on the ball, and ended up advancing it into the endzone without ever having possesion of the ball. Someone who has watched a bit more NFL Films can fill in the details, but that was what basically happened.

Del Rio Guest

On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball.

If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball.

If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think it was casper that used to post on here, but is gone....like a ghost! hahahahaha

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I think it was casper that used to post on here, but is gone....like a ghost! hahahahaha
    I suspect that "casper" was Webby in disguise! :razz:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

wow you found something a year old

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball.
    That doesn't sound right. In that case if someone fumbled within two minutes, everyone would have to stand and wait until the fumbling player got back up and recovered it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

PlumPurple is offline Waterboy

Having grown up in San Diego when the incident in question happened, I know it all too well. Yes, it is former Raider tight end Dave Casper. Mind you, I've been a Viking fan since I was five, but ask any San Diego Charger fan around who remembers that play (actually referred to as "The Holy Roller"), and they'll all agree: the Chargers were robbed! Hence, a rule was made to outlaw such travesties.

Ironically, I live in Oakland now and Raiders fans' say the same thing about the playoff game with the Patriots a few years ago when Brady fumbled the ball. I hate 'em both anyway...

So ask you shall receive. Watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jhvNLYiMA

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12