Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Carter, Randle among 17 HOF finalists

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-finalistsannouncedfo&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Shall we discuss?

Of course, I think it is a travesty that Cris Carter was not a first ballot inductee...or for that matter, a second ballot inductee. And this year, he's up against Jerry Rice!

Got to believe the all time leading receiver and rusher (Rice and Emmitt Smith) make it on the first ballot. After that, I think Carter is the best of the rest. How about the others?

Well, as a seniors candidate, have to like Dick LeBeau. Many people forget what an outstanding player he was. Over a 14 year career with the Lions (including the entire decade of the 60's), LeBeau had 62 interceptions. He also started 171 consecutive games at CB, which according to his Wiki page is a NFL record for a CB. He's spent 36 seasons as a coach in the NFL, and has been the defensive coordinator of two teams that went to the Super Bowl four times during his time there, winning two. The "zone blitz" was a creation of LeBeau's.

Of the defensive line candidates, it's hard not to like John Randle. 137.5 sacks in 14 seasons (took Dent one more year to have the same amount of sacks, and Dent was a DE while Randle primarily a DT), 7 time Pro Bowler and 6 time first team AP All-Pro (Dent was a 4 time Pro Bowler and 2 time first team All-Pro). What Randle doesn't have is a ring, and that may be where a guy like Dent or Charles Haley edges him out. Haley has 5 SB rings to go with his 5 Pro Bowl selections (twice first team All-Pro) and his 100.5 sacks in 12 seasons. Haley played quite a few seasons at OLB for the Niners, which might have kept his sack numbers lower than what they might have been if he had been a DE his entire career. I'd think both Randle and Haley are deserving of induction, just not sure which one (if either) will make it this year.

Shannon Sharpe was the first TE in history to reach 10,000 receiving yards, was an 8 time Pro Bowler (four time first team All-Pro) and has 3 SB rings. He also has 62 career TDs. He should be a no-brainer, if not this year, then soon.

I also think Don Coryell is worthy of a spot in the Hall of Fame. His passing attack, particularly with the Dan Fouts-era San Diego Chargers, pretty much revolutionized the game into being what it is today...a pass-oriented league.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Carter, Randle among 17 HOF finalists

Carter WILL get snubbed again.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

VOTE!

Let your voice be heard!

http://www.fanschoice.com/vote.aspx

Let's let our voice be heard and move Randle and Carter up a notch. They both deserve to get in.

On another note, I was watching NFLN this morning and they were doing a special on the HOF and the finalists. They were nice enough to supply Michael Irvin for his commentary on the WRs. :X :unsure:

Mike went on to say that Reed deserves to get in and that Carter was good, but was slow and only had good hands. This guy is a biased jackass. First he is backing another Mia Cane and second, Carter was better than him and rivaled him while he played. Oh and his other reason for Reed was because Reed played in 4 Super Bowls. The only reason that Mike got in before Carter is the Super Bowl victories, which he didn't win by himself. Reed deserve to be in, but him and Carter are not better than Carter.

I don't think I am biased here. Carter is the fifth player on the voting at this time. I think 5 is fair considering Rice and Emmitt are in the mix.

Current Top 5....
    Smith
    Rice
    Haley
    Too Tall Jones
    Carter

Not surprised, that it is Cowboy, 49er, 49er, Cowboy, Viking

Lets vote a lot!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

snowinapril wrote:
    VOTE!

Let your voice be heard!

http://www.fanschoice.com/vote.aspx

Let's let our voice be heard and move Randle and Carter up a notch. They both deserve to get in.

On another note, I was watching NFLN this morning and they were doing a special on the HOF and the finalists. They were nice enough to supply Michael Irvin for his commentary on the WRs. :X :unsure:

Mike went on to say that Reed deserves to get in and that Carter was good, but was slow and only had good hands. This guy is a biased jackass. First he is backing another Mia Cane and second, Carter was better than him and rivaled him while he played. Oh and his other reason for Reed was because Reed played in 4 Super Bowls. The only reason that Mike got in before Carter is the Super Bowl victories, which he didn't win by himself. Reed deserve to be in, but him and Carter are not better than Carter.

I don't think I am biased here. Carter is the fifth player on the voting at this time. I think 5 is fair considering Rice and Emmitt are in the mix.

Current Top 5....
    Smith
    Rice
    Haley
    Too Tall Jones
    Carter

Not surprised, that it is Cowboy, 49er, 49er, Cowboy, Viking

Lets vote a lot!
    ugh.. they took the worst idea possible and made it reality.

giving fans a vote

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

We (the fans) just get to weigh in the back of the minds of the people that do get to vote.

Just think about the people that do get to vote..... sports writers. Really, the guys that play the game get disgusted by these guys on a daily basis. What do today's sports writers really know about football other than what others tell them. Doesn't make them much better than the fans in the area of expertise.

Who should be voting? Players..... do you really want Michael Irvin voting? Everything in life is political in one way or another. They sit in a room and vote and other people lobby for players. Everyone has an agenda, that is life.

Why limit it to only 4 or 5 guys going in....? The class of 1971 that Sabol thinks was the best class of inductees ever, had 7 guys go in to the HOF.

BTW:
    I honestly believe that Ray Guy deserves a spot in the hall. He was a player. Don't cut him out because he was a punter.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Why does Chris Doleman get so little respect? His career was better than many Hall of Fame DE's.

With Rice up, and a sure first ballot HOFer, would it be better to see Carter go in next season as the best WR in the class?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

snowinapril wrote:
    They were nice enough to supply Michael Irvin for his commentary on the WRs. :X :unsure:

Mike went on to say that Reed deserves to get in and that Carter was good, but was slow and only had good hands.
    and there was me thinking that was a 'must have' for a WR - guess it's different for WRs in Dallas where the ability to snort cocaine rates higher on the list.
    Still I suppose hanging onto your brothers crackpipe and so getting by the police - again - is one way of showing that you don't let go of items once you have them eh Michael :woohoo:

Back on topic though I would like to see Carter get in as sign that players turning their careers around do get the recognition they deserve. Randle also should get again for his career and service but both are missing SB rings so that will be the big knock on them
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:

giving fans a vote
    What he said.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Erinnn is offline Starter

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

giving fans a vote
    What he said.
    Good thing the fan vote doesn't really count, I can't even imagine how horribly wrong that would go.

Announcement comes tomorrow at 4 p.m. on the NFL Network.

I won't be surprised to see Carter left off to keep Rice as the only receiver in the class. Since Randle is my all-time favorite I'll always think he should get in, but more than likely he'll have to wait several years before being honored.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Carter, Randle among 17 HOF finalists

lol Charles Haley
    Semi-NSFW link about Charles Haley No offensive pictures, but the text is pretty obscene... still hilarious.

He can not go before Randle or Doleman without the HoF becoming an official scam. Although he was a Cowboy, so it's to be expected.

Tim Brown was great, but better than Carter? Probably not.

With Rice and Emmitt Smith on the list, don't expect our guys to get in this year.

#3 on the All-Time sacks list, #1 in sacks among DTs, and the second best receiver of all-time getting snubbed once again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast