Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I was calling for a new GM and a 3-4 defense a few years ago but was told that would never work.

I was also calling for a coach that would install a vertical passing attack with AP lined up 8 yards deep instead of the WCO. Any takers on that now?

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I was calling for a new GM and a 3-4 defense a few years ago but was told that would never work.

I was also calling for a coach that would install a vertical passing attack with AP lined up 8 yards deep instead of the WCO. Any takers on that now?
    Coach yes, GM, I'm still on the fense about. I was with you on the coach topic. This team should've been designed to stretch the field from the start. Drafting Ponder didn't make any fucking sense in doing that. Basically, it feels like we've messed up almost every meaningful move we've made since we brought Favre back in 2010. I think Speilman has brought in some good talent, but does all that talent work well together? Hard to say it does. Then again, we may never know since our fucktarded coaching staff refuses to give most of our young players any run.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I'm with Zeus. Both the 4-3 and WCO are outdated. Frazier is living in the past. We need to be getting the ball to Peterson in space. Can he not catch a pass?

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    I'm with Zeus. Both the 4-3 and WCO are outdated. Frazier is living in the past. We need to be getting the ball to Peterson in space. Can he not catch a pass?
    He's never been very good a catching the ball, but it's not like we ever try it that much either. I agree, we need to make some changes. Musgrave's patented Run Run Pass Punt offense tragically isn't a winning recipe'. Who would have thought?
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We have no DB on our team by the name of Rodgers.

I'm not sure how you can make that claim. He completed 73% of his passes. He did have two bad throws that got picked, but he also had 3-4 passes on target that were flat out dropped by the receivers that were accurate throws and another catch made by Rudolph that would have been called complete and a TD had he kept both feet in. 32 of 44 (73%0 is what he had. 36-37 of 44 (82%-84%) is what it should have been.
    I meant Rhodes.

I can say that, I just didn't say it the right way. 73% is good. He over threw WRs in situations that demanded more accuracy. The one overthrow led to an INT. Our WR didn't have a chance to even make a play on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post

I have to admit that since I formed that take I have actually changed my mind a bit on the whole thing.

As far as the defense goes, I was listening to Ray Lewis talk about the playoffs last year when they played the bronco's and he said that he went back and watched all of the playoff games that Manning played in and what he found was that every team that beat him used a zone defense to do it. He went on to say that Manning is so good at reading defenses that every time he faced a team playing man coverage he beat them because he knew exactly where to go with the ball but the teams that ran the zone successfully were able to disguise the coverage's and that caused him to make mistakes or be less effective and that is what Baltimore used to beat denver in the playoffs last year.

Now, I understand that Manning beats zone defenses regularly too but it does give an indication that the zone defense is valid if you have the right coaching and the right talent. But you need speed and smart players and i don't think we have done a good job at supplying those things. Plus the 3-4 is really more effective at stopping the run and since this is a passing league that seems to be less than ideal the majority of the time. That being said either a 4-3 or a 3-4 can be a great defense if you get the right personnel and have the right coaches.

Then there is the WCO.

Denver, New England, Green Bay, Seattle and San fran all run a WCO and they are among the top offenses in the league year over year. You can still have a WCO and have a great team if you have the right coaching and the right personnel to run it.

That gets back to we need better coaches ad we need to do a job of putting the players in situations they can excel in.

And we need a franchise QB.

Everything else is pretty much window dressing.

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Remember when we drafted Moss? He was in the game plan from day one. This coaching staff does not believe in doing things like that, but instead they want to slowly bring the rookies in due to...actually, I don't know why.

-Patterson should have been our star WR on day one, but instead he was relegated to kick off returns.
    -Floyd should have been put into our starting D, and allowed to make the mistakes he needed to make so that by this time, he was becoming a force to be dealt with.
    -Rhodes seems like the only rookie we have played with regularity, and he is the one that seemed to need more time. Go figure.

In the end, it isn't the person who drafted these guy's fault that they have not been used effectively. We need a coach with his own staff to make the Vikings legitimate again. Something tells me that a team with AD, Patterson and Greg Jennings, not to mention all the other up-and-comers should draw a coach who is licking his chomps to succeed with those players.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    BTW, I AM an optimist, and it is hard not to look at the Vikings and feel like there is a future with our team.

That sunnyside disposition ends there; until we remove the front office people who are not helping, we will continue to under perform.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    As long as we have the owners we have we will continue to get the same types of coaches they have already given us.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I have to admit that since I formed that take I have actually changed my mind a bit on the whole thing.

As far as the defense goes, I was listening to Ray Lewis talk about the playoffs last year when they played the bronco's and he said that he went back and watched all of the playoff games that Manning played in and what he found was that every team that beat him used a zone defense to do it. He went on to say that Manning is so good at reading defenses that every time he faced a team playing man coverage he beat them because he knew exactly where to go with the ball but the teams that ran the zone successfully were able to disguise the coverage's and that caused him to make mistakes or be less effective and that is what Baltimore used to beat denver in the playoffs last year.

Now, I understand that Manning beats zone defenses regularly too but it does give an indication that the zone defense is valid if you have the right coaching and the right talent. But you need speed and smart players and i don't think we have done a good job at supplying those things. Plus the 3-4 is really more effective at stopping the run and since this is a passing league that seems to be less than ideal the majority of the time. That being said either a 4-3 or a 3-4 can be a great defense if you get the right personnel and have the right coaches.

Then there is the WCO.

Denver, New England, Green Bay, Seattle and San fran all run a WCO and they are among the top offenses in the league year over year. You can still have a WCO and have a great team if you have the right coaching and the right personnel to run it.

That gets back to we need better coaches ad we need to do a job of putting the players in situations they can excel in.

And we need a franchise QB.

Everything else is pretty much window dressing.
    This is the voice of reason.
    It doesn't matter what scheme you run if you have a GM in synch. with the coaches, who know how to get the most out of their players. That is the successful formula, GM gets the players the coaches need to make their schemes work. That is why giving the GM the power to hire and fire coaches works.
    And the owners have to let the GM do his job.
    Sounds simple, but this is the formula for success.
    A GM is a guy who knows football. An owner is a guy who knows how to make money.
    Owner medaling is a formula for failure, as evidenced in Dallas, Redskins, and the latter years of Al Davis.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast