Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by APRunsAD View Post
    Certainly the coaching staff deserves some of the blame for the terrible play. However, the coaches are not the ones on field missing tackles, overthrowing receivers, not picking up the blitzing defender, not blocking well to open holes for AD, giving receivers too much cushion, etc. Do you think Frazier coached the Vikes D this week to tackle poorly so a Panthers guy can run through 4-5-6 tackles on his way to the end zone? Of course not. That failure is all on the guys on the field, the guys who have been shown how to tackle thousands and thousands of times since they were children.
    Players do matter, and good coaches cannot make up for bad players, but coaching matters more than most football fans believe.

Look at Seattle and San Francisco. They did have a few new players, but it was the coaching staff that made the big difference. Look at the Saints with Sean Payton and without him. Look at Kansas City and Philadelphia with or without Andy Reid. Look at the Vikings offense when Billick left. Look at what Jon Gruden did for quarterbacks everywhere he coached. Look at Walsh, Grant, Madden and any Superbowl team.

I know that the coaches prepare the team, but they are preparing PROFESSIONAL athletes. The guys they're preparing are full-grown adults who oftentimes know darn well how a particular set of plays should be run. However, the PLAYERS need to execute.
    They are adults, but what does that mean? Better coaches teach better techniques and better discipline, and better coaches can prepare players for each game with better gameplans. Some players, like Tarkenton, Favre, and Manning know the game. Many players need coaching than more than others, but all need good coaches for success.

The Vikings were 8-8 under Bud Grant in 1983. It was a down year in player personnel because of years of low drafts (because of so many wins). When Grant left, the Vikings went 3-13. Grant came back for one season, in 1985, and the team went 7-9. Same players, different head coach, much different records.

Again, a good coaching staff cannot make up for poor players, but a good staff can get better play and more wins out of the same player personnel.

Now, play calls do usually rest on the coaching staff (or at least at the feet of the coach who's actually calling the plays). However, when things aren't going well or something doesn't work, it's easy to blame the coaching staff for poor play calls.
    The gameplan, play calls, and the plays themselves are questionable. The WCO works because of high percentage gains. Musgrave often calls low percentage plays and does not attack defensive weaknesses. I wonder if he ever watches game film.

The defensive gameplan did not work under Frazier, and it has not worked under his minions. The Tampa 2 is outdated and difficult to have success with even with veteran players. With rookies, castoffs, and mediocre personnel, the defensive scheme is abysmal. It is a disadvantage before a single snap is played.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Outcoached and outplayed in all phases. This team has more problems than a new QB can fix. It's just a shame that Peterson is going to go down like Sanders- a superlative back that never won a SB because he played for bad teams.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    I'm excited to get the entire coaching staff out of purple. They are imbeciles. Same stupid looks on their faces game in, game out. No adjustments, fire, or intensity.
    This quote mirrors my thoughts exactly. Frazier always has that dumb look on his face as he says, "I thought we did some good things... we'll have to go back and look at the tape."

Musgrave is just Childress 2.0. Some moron who thinks he's smarter than he actually is and can't figure out a way to get his best players involved. Hope he never coaches again in the NFL, he's a fraud.

We cannot hire from within again. We need to make a splash and get a coach who has a winning resume... no more settling for mediocre coaches and being satisfied with revenue sharing from the league to bring in money.

Honestly, I hope the Wilfs sell the team. F*ck those crooks.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by acman1 View Post
    John Carlson had another above average game.
    Let's give him another $5M!!!

Worst FA signing ever. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not sure how you can make that claim. He completed 73% of his passes. He did have two bad throws that got picked, but he also had 3-4 passes on target that were flat out dropped by the receivers that were accurate throws and another catch made by Rudolph that would have been called complete and a TD had he kept both feet in. 32 of 44 (73%0 is what he had. 36-37 of 44 (82%-84%) is what it should have been.
    Well... that's really only looking at half of it. He averaged 5.4 Y/A, which is pitiful. Pretty sure most of us could average an 82% completion rate if we're only throwing 5 yards each time. Past that, Cassel was inaccurate and ineffective.

Also, 5.4 Y/A is a full 1.5 yards less than Ponder was averaging this season. Simply awful.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Defense is really got me concerned, letting the Panthers have a long 15 play opening drive, holding penalty that wipes out a sack, a couple of 4th down conversions. Later guys mixing up their zones in coverage (per Frazier post game comments) and Greenway and Rhodes getting wiped out by blocks thrown by lightweight heavy hitters like Smith and Ginn Jr....then roll in some half hearted tackling.....someone should mention to big Kev Williams and Jared Allen that they are in contract years and show casing their skills to 31 other GMs unless they think the Vikes are going to roll another 20 mill back to them next year again....at least Singletary and Frazier can lean on their SB linage and get the LB's and secondary rolling :'(

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    I'm excited to get the entire coaching staff out of purple. They are imbeciles. Same stupid looks on their faces game in, game out. No adjustments, fire, or intensity.
    I think that sums it up best: No Adjustments. No Fire. No Intensity. It looks like they either just don't care, or sometimes, almost like The Plan is to tank it this year for an early pick next spring...

Credit where its due tho, the Carolina Defense is way better than I thought. They were the 3rd best defense in BOTH yards and points allowed coming into this game.

Also, I feel too much blame gets thrown on our defense. They have been hampered by injuries and our Offensive Inability to sustain any drives all season. Our D has 10 sacks, 7 picks and 5 fumble recoveries and yet our offense has managed to balance that out by giving the ball to the other team 12 times as well and that doesn't even count for the Time of Possession. If you give the other team enough chances, eventually, they will beat your defense, and we have been giving the enemy way, way, way too many chances with our lack of first downs.

But it looks more and more like the whole team is giving up on this season, and that blame ultimately lies at the top with the coaches. The same zone-blitz that clogs running lanes and pressures whatever sorry passing game we trot out there has been fucking us for years without an answer, while other teams adjust and can beat this blitz, we continue to try the same ole shit with the same ole crappy results.

It is time for some passion and intensity at head coach and to take a chance on some new, innovative offensive coordinator with a whole different scheme. Do we dare try Singletary at HC and bring in somebody looking for a job like perhaps, Lane Kiffin?

Or, maybe just continue to tank it this year so we can draft a decent young QB next spring and hire some new coaches to rebuild then...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think that sums it up best: No Adjustments. No Fire. No Intensity. It looks like they either just don't care, or sometimes, almost like The Plan is to tank it this year for an early pick next spring...

Credit where its due tho, the Carolina Defense is way better than I thought. They were the 3rd best defense in BOTH yards and points allowed coming into this game.

Also, I feel too much blame gets thrown on our defense. They have been hampered by injuries and our Offensive Inability to sustain any drives all season. Our D has 10 sacks, 7 picks and 5 fumble recoveries and yet our offense has managed to balance that out by giving the ball to the other team 12 times as well and that doesn't even count for the Time of Possession. If you give the other team enough chances, eventually, they will beat your defense, and we have been giving the enemy way, way, way too many chances with our lack of first downs.

But it looks more and more like the whole team is giving up on this season, and that blame ultimately lies at the top with the coaches. The same zone-blitz that clogs running lanes and pressures whatever sorry passing game we trot out there has been fucking us for years without an answer, while other teams adjust and can beat this blitz, we continue to try the same ole shit with the same ole crappy results.

It is time for some passion and intensity at head coach and to take a chance on some new, innovative offensive coordinator with a whole different scheme. Do we dare try Singletary at HC and bring in somebody looking for a job like perhaps, Lane Kiffin?

Or, maybe just continue to tank it this year so we can draft a decent young QB next spring and hire some new coaches to rebuild then...?
    Have you seen the Vikings schedule for the rest of 2013? It looks tough to me. At this point, I see at least 3 consecutive losses coming up for the Vikings (at NY Giants, vs. Green Bay, and at Dallas). Remaining schedule also looks tough to me (vs. Washington, at Seattle, at Green Bay, vs. Chicago, at Baltimore, vs. Philadelphia, at Cincinnati, vs. Detroit).

Given how the Vikings are currently playing (and I unfortunately agree with your comments on the team's lack of fire, passion, intensity, and ESPECIALLY adjustments), I cannot see how Spielman and the entire coaching staff survive beyond the end of 2013. At this point, this season seems lost. A very high draft pick seems likely, and I'm honestly not sure that this pick should be on a QB. Perhaps a trade-down to start overhauling our leaky defense might be in order?

Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    Given how the Vikings are currently playing (and I unfortunately agree with your comments on the team's lack of fire, passion, intensity, and ESPECIALLY adjustments), I cannot see how Spielman and the entire coaching staff survive beyond the end of 2013. At this point, this season seems lost. A very high draft pick seems likely, and I'm honestly not sure that this pick should be on a QB. Perhaps a trade-down to start overhauling our leaky defense might be in order?
    I guess we'll have to see how Freeman works out. At this point, if the entire coaching staff was fired, I'd look at this season as a success.

Get those hacks out of here.

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    I'm concerned about our ability to get decent FA's with this coaching staff. It's becoming so painfully obvious what the issue is. We have issues with our roster. No doubt about it, but getting our asses handed to us by the Panthers has got to be a red flag for anyone this off-season.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast