Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Carl Eller: A withering icon

"Schutz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Wow. What is "fourth degree drunk driving?". Just curious. Is that when you are arrested and you are thinking about a drink ?

BTW - just one note on this. Did you know that the cell phone industry gives MADD - Mothers Against Drunk Driving free cell phones every year ? Wonder why that is ? Could it be that the cell industry knows that studies have shown that dialing while driving is just as dangerous as DUI, and yet, goes mostly unpunished in the U.S. ? (the free cell phones are a, ahem, 'incentive' to MADD to not talk about this ???) ... not to mention texting while driving...
    Wait,, did you just say that drunk driving isn't really that bad?
    Maybe you didn't, but that is what it sounds like.
    I'm confused the the cellphone reference and everything, because if you're defending what Eller did I would have to disagree with that.
    I think he's saying that DWI is illegal because of the dangers/threat one poses to others while they are driving, What he's asking is what is the difference between a first, second & third degree DWI as opposed to a fourth.

What he is saying about the cell phones is that they can pose the same dangers & threat that a DWI can if people are using them to text while driving, yet laws aren't being passed/enforced to outlaw the practice to the extent DWI laws are.

I haven't seen the numbers, so I don't know how many accidents are caused each year by careless cell phone users, but I get the impression they are quite high also.

He's also saying that the cell phone industry is doling out free cell phones to MADD to deter them from bringing up the fact that texting while driving is just about as dangerous as DWI's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Formo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "There But for the Grace of God go I"

All very sad my friends.
    Very sad indeed.
    :'(
    Amen to that.

If I had a spreadsheet, you would've been bumped up.
    lawl
    To paraphrase what my good friend Singer says (well kindof).

All of us have "demons", some of have dealt with some of them and can understand what Carl is going through and what he needs to do to get over those "demons".

In my case it was drugs.
    Luckily the Navy had a substance abuse program that was a good start for me.
    The follow on was my recognizing I needed help, changed my lifestyle and found a good support group (Wildwoman is the base of that group).

Do I still struggle at times (1981 I attended the program), Yes.
    Do I still have vices, Yes.
    Can I control those vices?
    Yes.

I just choose to stay away (life style change) from the things/vices "Demons" I can't control.
    And its a team effort by the way.

Again, "There But for the Grace of God go I".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is very sad that he cannot kick his substance abuse problems.
    I hope he gets the help he needs.
    Maybe jail time would do him some good. :'(
    Jail time doesn't fix the problem, it only puts a temporary hold on it. He would need to get the help he needs while he's in there.
    I agree.
    But sometimes it can be a wake up call.
    A friend of mine once told me that many people can't to begin to recover until they hit rock bottom.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is very sad that he cannot kick his substance abuse problems.
    I hope he gets the help he needs.
    Maybe jail time would do him some good. :'(
    Jail time doesn't fix the problem, it only puts a temporary hold on it. He would need to get the help he needs while he's in there.
    I agree.
    But sometimes it can be a wake up call.
    A friend of mine once told me that many people can't to begin to recover until they hit rock bottom.
    That's the case a lot of times. Once the consequences out weigh the problem, it starts to sink in. But it's such a gradual problem that it doesn't hit you like a ton of bricks until you've hit bottom.

Perhaps jail time would give him time to reflect & realize he needs to get some help. It's a tough thing to have to admit that to oneself.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12