Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Be Careful What You Wish For

So, after last season's wailing and gnashing of teeth how you don't get any respect, how no one like the Vikings, how you hate Pete Prisco because he always hates the Vikings...looks like you guys are getting what you wanted.

Now, almost EVERYONE is picking the Vikes. A lot of media people like the Vikes. PETE PRISCO loves the Vikes.

And you all love Pete Prisco. ukeright:

Just a note...not trying to be cocky, just thoughtful:

1) High regard brings high expectations. I personally don't like it when the media tries to make more out of something that is there. I hated the whole "Team of Destiny" thing last year...it seemed to put more on the Pack than what was there. Somebody gets to be the annointed team every year, and looks like maybe that's the Vikes.

2) The higher you are, the harder the fall. 4th and 26 made the whole "Team of Destiny" thing hurt. Bad.

3) High Regard brings high motivation. Expect opponent's "A" games each week. No one is going to overlook you.

4) Media Darlings have fickle beeyatches. How did the Packers go from a team of destiny to a team with question marks, according to the prognosticators? Once bitten, twice shy, and don't expect it again if you pull a collapse like last year.

5) Every person who has given the Vikes high marks have given it for one reason...the talent on the offense and rising defense. No one has mentioned Tice in all of this. Think of one Super Bowl champ in the last several years where the coach wasn't highly regarded before they even got there. There's a lot of teams in the history of the NFL that were loaded to bear with talent but never got a ring because the coach was a maynard.

Not trying to pop holes in your balloons. As a fan, I always try to keep a bit of perspective before I believe all the press. This is the same press that condemned the Vikes, even when they were undefeated last season, so take it with a grain of salt and let the team play the games, and let the chips fall where they may.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hear ya los! How often do predictions come true? When choosing division winners, sure it happens, but with all the correct picks there are just as many (if not more) incorrect picks!! This sums it up best "take it with a grain of salt and let the team play the games, and let the chips fall where they may." GO VIKES!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Obviously the media is full of sh*t. After years of hearing about how there is no real competetion in the north, and how the Packers will win and will always win, you can see why we are happy people are realizing what we hope for every year. That is that the Vikes will do well.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Oh, no doubt...be happy. Just don't believe your own press until you actually accomplish something, because you're 0-0 right now.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Tell that to the Patriots. Every article I read has them winning the bowl again.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Big Daddy is offline Starter

Man I'm just tired of all the predictions and analysis by the media, can't we start the season tonight so we can see some football. I could care less what people are saying and who they are predicting because it means NOTHING. Lets just play some FOOTBALL!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Err, lots of people still aren't picking the Vikes

And no one knew about John Fox until the Panthers made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Be Careful What You Wish For

"LosAngelis" wrote:

And you all love Pete Prisco. ukeright:
    Not quite.

I really hope the Vikes meet all these expectations. But even as a fan I'm more skeptical than a lot of these people picking the Vikes to go all the way. There are a lot of things the Vikings still have to prove and get done on the field before they get that far. I don't really get that excited when I see these predictions, we've seen them before hell we saw them last year. I'm a diehard fan but I've been one long enough to know better than to get giddy whenever the Vikes are pegged as champions before the season starts.

And I think that after four Super Bowl losses, three NFC championship losses (one at the end of a record breaking season) and many losses in the playoffs, we're pretty much aware that higher expectations can set you up for a harder fall. Here's a pretty good article on that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neyer/040518
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Los we Viking fans alwas have high expectations.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Err, lots of people still aren't picking the Vikes

And no one knew about John Fox until the Panthers made it.
    Very Very Very good point i like that.

I dont much care what people think and i said that in an ealier post, as far as tice is concerned, I'm not concerned he knows how to get his players ready i believe in tice, he can do it. Not only can he do it but Cottrell is a very good game planner and can wins games with his defensive plans, i'm very pumped about cotrell, he should be a NFL head coach.

Los to tell u the truth i dont even know pete prisco is, I dont know many analysis by name, but i do know sterling (he's a moron). I feel my opinion about the upcoming season is just as important as theres and i disagree with them all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast