Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Can you Smell what the Vikings are Cooking?......

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "VikingD24" wrote:
    The fact that the Vikings have been so quiet in FA just adds to my theory that Brad Childress, for some odd reason, seems like he is trying to build this team to win 2 years from now. They didnt take a shot at Drew Bennett, nor Michael Lewis...gave a TE $18M even though he never been better than a backup. Add that in with the fact that Childress wants to roll into 07 with only T-Jack and Bollinger as his QB's...does this guy think he has the ultimate job security? He better pull it together on draft day. I belive the team can win now...I know all of my Viking Comrades belive they can win now...

Wake up Brad...I say your gone after this season if you dont win now.
    And either Cowher or Schottenheimer will be taking his place!!!
    As long as we are throwing names in the hat for Chilly's replacement, I am going to add Parcells and Jimmy Johnson(Not the NASCAR guy).

oh yeah, add Dungy too. Not sure why but it looks cool
    Jimmy would NEVER coach in a northern city...so he's out.
    Parcells is DONE...and Dungy has got it made where he is.
    Cowher and Schottenheimer, on the other hand, are unemployed and could have interest if they got complete control...which is tricky...but much better than what we have right now!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Chilli's leash is short.
    I can understand not over paying in f/a for second tier players, but at the same time Wilf has to understand that the fan base is restless and if he wants that stadium, winning now is the only option.
    We can't sit around developing "O" players through the draft to catch up to the performance of our aging "D".

Worst of all, I got the feeling they are viewing the next season as a "throw away" season, through their lack of activity in the f/a so far.
    If they are and act as such, the fan base (along with season ticket sales) will dwindle to the point where it will take a decade to recover ... just my two cents.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I sense a few things out of winter park, some i'm confused about, others not so much.

Childress and co. are taking their "build through the draft" Philosophy to heart. The organization also believes that the players that they got in the draft last year have potential. I see Ryan Cook, Cedric Griffin, Tarvaris Jackson, and Chad Greenway as starters next year and Greg Blue a starter in the future. Childress obviously thinks the draft is the best way to find talent.

Now the thing I don't understand is the lack of Childress finding talent to, at the very least, fill our roster. How the hell are we going to field a team next year with 1 WR under contract? Now that leads me to believe (hopefully) that we're waiting until next week or the week after when the pricetag drops to sign our big name free agents (stallworth, hackett?).

Does the lack of free agent moves as far as wide receiver goes mean that Childress is targeting Calvin Johnson? Maybe. I think there's no doubt that Spielman and Childress will be picking up a WR in the first three rounds for the sake of fielding a team if nothing else.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I sense a few things out of winter park, some i'm confused about, others not so much.

Childress and co. are taking their "build through the draft" Philosophy to heart. The organization also believes that the players that they got in the draft last year have potential. I see Ryan Cook, Cedric Griffin, Tarvaris Jackson, and Chad Greenway as starters next year and Greg Blue a starter in the future. Childress obviously thinks the draft is the best way to find talent.

Now the thing I don't understand is the lack of Childress finding talent to, at the very least, fill our roster. How the hell are we going to field a team next year with 1 WR under contract? Now that leads me to believe (hopefully) that we're waiting until next week or the week after when the pricetag drops to sign our big name free agents (stallworth, hackett?).

Does the lack of free agent moves as far as wide receiver goes mean that Childress is targeting Calvin Johnson? Maybe. I think there's no doubt that Spielman and Childress will be picking up a WR in the first three rounds for the sake of fielding a team if nothing else.
    I can respect the "build through the draft" philosophy...BUT we still need a LEGIT #1 WR to show our young guys the ropes...and if he is healthy, Joe Horn is the MAN to do it!
    I would be OK with starting Ryan Cook at RT and Marcus Johnson at RG next season also, but we still need to bring in a veteran backup to pick up the slack, especially at RT.
    I am also comfortable with going with Erasmus, Darrion, Kenechi and Edwards at the DE spots, but would still like to see us take a shot at a veteran MLB to solidify the defense.
    I would also like to see us bring in a proven vet to at least tutor TJack if he is gonna be the starter.
    In our case, I think that the difference between a bad team and a pretty good one is only a few players...and that we can't expect the draft to provide all of those players this season....all one has to do is look at New Orleans to see what a few players can do to vastly improve a team with decent talent.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with building through the draft and taking untapped under the radar talent to add to the roster BUT you then have to have the staff in place to be able to develop these players and teach them how to do their job.

Now last year I was not impressed with the coaching staffs ability to do any of that with the exception of the run defense and the run offense. but the rest of the team pretty much got blown out by the teams we played that also had first year head coaches. That tells me that unless we do something different with the way we coach these draft and free agency players we will not be any better this year than we were last year and to me that is not an acceptable result. I know that they have been working day and night at winter park trying to perfect that turd polisher, but as far as I know it is still being beta tested in version 1.0 so I don't expect to see it's operating system installed this year.

We did get productivity out of Hutch last year(Although if they ran a different blocking scheme we may have gotten more) and Chester but when you look at the supposed diamonds in the rough like pinkston, McMullen, O'sullivan,McMahon... we had plenty of flops so to be cautious as a fan seems perfectly reasonable.

jackal is offline Training Camp

building through the draft is fine

however your aren't going to completly revamp
    our wide outs and get a great pasher in one draft
    we need both of these things without question.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456