Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Can we all agree, it wasn't the coaching ?

People have been saying that Tice and his coaching staff were at fault for the losses. I personally didn't really know, but I was starting to get convinced. From seeing the team play under Brad Johnson, I can say that I think the issue was not the coaching.

I think the issue was: Lack of Moss, and Culpepper not responding to that, and taking WAY too much time in the pocket, and not reading the defense and receivers not helping him out, and C-pepper holding the ball too long, resulting in many, many holding penalties that would not have occurred with Brad in there, throwing off a 2 or 3-step drop.

Lack of "gel": the team was just too new and had not played enough as a team, especially on defense. Now that they have played together, it is coming together.

But let's just say it, it was not the coaching. If someone argues that it was the coaching, I think that they would be hard-pressed to explain exactly how the coaching has gotten so much better in the past 4 games. I think it is obvious that it wasn't the coaching. It was the new QB and the team gaining experience on the field with each other.

... or was it ? What do you think ?

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Can we all agree, it wasn't the coaching ?

I think that the coaches did a piss-poor job of preparing the offense for life without Moss. They tried searching for an identity when, in actuality, very few changes were needed. Culpepper tried to do too much, and coaches were too busy trying to determine an offensive philosophy to actually institute one.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Yes. It was coaching.

The coaching staff did not have Daunte prepared for "life after Moss".

Remember Tice saying that they changed the offense slightly to fit Johnson? IMO, they adjusted it to fit the team.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i just think we should have kept the offense the way it used to be and now with Koren i think we could have the old offense back although it wont be in full force.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

BBQ, that's so funny that you said "life without moss" cause I was thinking the same thing when I was typing up my post. :grin:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The coaching was a big part of that early mess...they should have recognized that Daunte was not doing the things that he needed to do in order to succeed...and corrected them. If Daunte wouldn't listen, they should have benched him and put Brad in...failure to do this means that they didn't really have control of the team...Tice included. Loney is way too green and Cottrell should have simplified the schemes until the defense started to jell...so they should have to shoulder at least some of the blame for the slow start. Tice should have stepped in much sooner and seized control of the team...and of course, the level of opposition early on was much tougher than it is right now. Fortunately, even though our schedule still has a few tough teams left in it, we are in a much better position to play those teams then we were if we would have had to play them at the beginning of the season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

PpE hit it right on the dot.. BBQ too cuz they said like the same thing.. Also our D has been underachieving because Cottrell's system sucks!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I don't think it was the coaching. You could have the best coach in the world but if the player doesn't play, nothing will work. It all comes down to the player executing the plays and making the plays. IMO

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Can we all agree, it wasn't the coaching ?
    NO! :razz:

WWBGD

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I do agree that part of the blame has to be put on C-Pep he didnt look comfortable in the pocket, tried to hard which caused TO's, and wasnt reading defenses.

(okay, I must have missed Canjun's post because he basically says the same thing I do here....so I just agree with him!)But I still blame the coaching staff for not adjusting to this. Anyone could see that Daunte was struggling and instead of putting shorter passing routes in or running more screens they just hung him out to dry. Their lack of adjustment throughout the first part of the season was driving me insane.

What I think the biggest problem was lack of communication between all our coaches. Tice wasnt even paying attention to what going on on the defensive side of the ball the first half of the season. he also got more involved in the offensive play calling. All of this forced the coaches to work together instead of have basically 3 different entities to the team.

whatever it was that got it all working I am so excited and happy for us as fans but more importantly the players. Keep it up Vikings!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast