Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Can the Vikings run a "Spread" offense?

OK, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the "mechanics" of football, but wouldn't it be smart for the Vikes to be running a spread offense to give AD some more running room? And how about a QB option? As good a runner as T-Jack is and with AD trailing him, would this not be a smart thing to do?
    Inquiring minds want to know?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Can the Vikings run a "Spread" offense?

Wishbone!!!!!!!!

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    OK, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the "mechanics" of football, but wouldn't it be smart for the Vikes to be running a spread offense to give AD some more running room? And how about a QB option? As good a runner as T-Jack is and with AD trailing him, would this not be a smart thing to do?
    Inquiring minds want to know?
    Actually they did against the Packers in the 2nd half when TJ had moderate success.
    They had several 3 WR sets.

From what I've seen... their approach is the normal grind it out take the close, conservative win when possible.
    But when they were down against GB they go to a bit more aggressive style O with the 3 WRs, more throws, and bigger play potential with the appropriate larger risks (i.e. getting TJ killed when a lineman misses his block).
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

We have no reason to run the spread. When we spread out the field with WRs the defense doesn't have the reason to spread out with us. If we had 4 wide I could see a defense using their nickel package. We also don't need 5 WRs running routes because TJ only gets one or 2 reads, usually on one side of the field, on a roll out.

I think the reason most teams avoid the option in the NFL is the risk you are putting your franchise player in. I wouldn't mind seeing it though. It's not like if we lost Jackson we would get much worse. Imagine the damage AD could do if he gets the ball wide open down the sideline as TJ gets creamed by a LB. ;D

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

We need to use more 3 WR sets

Possibly 4 and make sure Allison is in everytime

Seriously we do 2 WR's everytime and all they do is put one guy on each and everyone else in the box

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

There's too much speed on defense in the NFL to run the wishbone or option, TJack would take the beating of a lifetime every game, and we would have very little success. Like I said, teams are just too fast sideline to sideline for us to use players basically as decoys.

The spread, however, does work. Just ask the Patriots last season.

Will it work for us? Definitely not.

At least not yet. It doesn't fit our offensive strengths. ATM we have shit offensive tackles.(shockingly, a center and a guard playing tackle at the elite level doesn't work) If we switch to the spread, where traditionally the splits(distance between linemen) are increased, not only will Hicks and Cook get beat to the outside, they'll get beat to the inside. Besides the blocking aspect, we don't have the quality of receivers to run it effectively IMO. At least not until they learn to get off the damn line. I think they have the potential to do so, but will never learn because we don't show them any press in practice. We love that 6-8 yard cushion so much that I'm sure our corners practice it everyday
    :

We don't really need to open up the run anyway. AD has had some pretty damn good games the past two weeks. So once we establish a run-based play-action scheme like we should be doing anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing us working towards the spread in the future, we just need some wide receiver and oline help, and maybe a coach who can actually handle running that type of offense. It won't be a short pass every single third down, and we'll definitely have to mix it up more.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think our tackles suck.. Ryan Cook has done just fine this year

And Hicks so far has held his own against 2 of the best in the business.. Of course giving up a play or 2

When we ran 3 wide it gave us just enough protection to hit on the quick stuff

Throw another in there sometimes and let them know we aren't scared.. You don't need much time to set up slants and things like that..

I think Allison could even get deep enough for a deep post before Tarvaris even gets close to getting hit

Make this happen coaches

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr" wrote:
    There's too much speed on defense in the NFL to run the wishbone or option, TJack would take the beating of a lifetime every game, and we would have very little success. Like I said, teams are just too fast sideline to sideline for us to use players basically as decoys.

The spread, however, does work. Just ask the Patriots last season.

Will it work for us? Definitely not.

At least not yet. It doesn't fit our offensive strengths. ATM we have pooh offensive tackles.(shockingly, a center and a guard playing tackle at the elite level doesn't work) If we switch to the spread, where traditionally the splits(distance between linemen) are increased, not only will Hicks and Cook get beat to the outside, they'll get beat to the inside. Besides the blocking aspect, we don't have the quality of receivers to run it effectively IMO. At least not until they learn to get off the gol 'darnit line. I think they have the potential to do so, but will never learn because we don't show them any press in practice. We love that 6-8 yard cushion so much that I'm sure our corners practice it everyday
    :

We don't really need to open up the run anyway. AD has had some pretty gol 'darnit good games the past two weeks. So once we establish a run-based play-action scheme like we should be doing anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing us working towards the spread in the future, we just need some wide receiver and oline help, and maybe a coach who can actually handle running that type of offense. It won't be a short pass every single third down, and we'll definitely have to mix it up more.

Although i would love to see a more wide-open offense... can we execute the one we have??..
    on another note, the one we have sucks.. so i welcome any changes... i'd like to see more wr screens to the slot guy ala wes welker, more of AP running short routes as an extension of the running game, hitch and go's, seem routes, running the ball out of 3 receiver sets, and AA in the game more.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    I don't think our tackles suck.. Ryan Cook has done just fine this year

And Hicks so far has held his own against 2 of the best in the business.. Of course giving up a play or 2

When we ran 3 wide it gave us just enough protection to hit on the quick stuff

Throw another in there sometimes and let them know we aren't scared.. You don't need much time to set up slants and things like that..

I think Allison could even get deep enough for a deep post before Tarvaris even gets close to getting hit

Make this happen coaches
    Cook definitely looked better this last week than he did against the Pack, you're right about him improving. But I seriously believe Artis Hicks is one of the worst players in the NFL. He's truly awful. And spreading out their splits, will make him(and Cook) even worse.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

We would never run a true spread offense anyways. You can't really call yourself a spread offense if you don't take 75% of your snaps out of the shotgun. We could never pass up on just handing it off to AD up the gut and seeing what he makes of it.

Not to mention the key to the whole offense is a good QB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast