Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Can Vikings Overtake Favre-less Packers?

[size=13pt]NFC North Preview: Can Vikings Overtake Favre-less Packers?[/size]

By Anthony Hall
    mvn.com

August 25th, 2008

In 2007, the Brett Favre-led Green Bay Packers cruised to an NFC North title; they finished the season 13-3, while their nearest competitor, the Minnesota Vikings, could only manage an 8-8 record....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Can Vikings Overtake Favre-less Packers?

Wow, I don't know about this guy... I mean, he predicts that the Bears and Lions will combine for 13 wins.... I personally think double digits there is a little much...

And he has the Packers winning the division. Everyone knows that's crap.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Wow, I don't know about this guy... I mean, he predicts that the Bears and Lions will combine for 13 wins.... I personally think double digits there is a little much...

I don't.

GB will not be a push-over & will prbably be better than most people here expect.

Rodgers has completed 72% of his passes this year & has completed 83% of them in the last two games.

Jackson has completed 68% of his.

Peterson & Taylor are averaging just 2.6 & 2.5 YPC this preseason, while Brandon Jackson is averaging 4.3. No stats on Ryan Grant yet.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

I don't.

GB will not be a push-over & will prbably be better than most people here expect.

Rodgers has completed 72% of his passes this year & has completed 83% of them in the last two games.

Peterson & Taylor are averaging just 2.6 & 2.5 YPC this preseason, while Brandon Jackson is averaging 4.3. No stats on Ryan Grant yet.
    It scares me as well but we still have not seen him play a complete game. Preseason snaps are fine but teams will start to actually game plan for the season. Could be a big difference. Plus I am still in the boat that says Rodgers does not scare defenses like Favre did. All sides of the ball will be hurting. It will make a difference come season time. They might not be a pushover but they will not be better than the Vikings. We will take this division. Thart is if we can stay away from injuries.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I don't.

It scares me as well but we still have not seen him play a complete game. Preseason snaps are fine but teams will start to actually game plan for the season. Could be a big difference. Plus I am still in the boat that says Rodgers does not scare defenses like Favre did. All sides of the ball will be hurting. It will make a difference come season time. They might not be a pushover but they will not be better than the Vikings. We will take this division. That is if we can stay away from injuries.
    But he doesn't have to scare defenses like Farve did. Our defense has made many average QB's look like pro bowlers in the last few years. And they have proven that grant can run well against our defense so he doesn't have to look great, just better than Jackson.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I don't.

It scares me as well but we still have not seen him play a complete game. Preseason snaps are fine but teams will start to actually game plan for the season. Could be a big difference. Plus I am still in the boat that says Rodgers does not scare defenses like Favre did. All sides of the ball will be hurting. It will make a difference come season time. They might not be a pushover but they will not be better than the Vikings. We will take this division. That is if we can stay away from injuries.
    And finding an answer to poor performances by AD when he faces a stacked box.

Berrian was supposed to help in that regard, but his nagging turf toe injury bothers me. He suffered that when he was a Bear. How many regular season games will he miss or be impacted by this re-occurring injury?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I don't.

It scares me as well but we still have not seen him play a complete game. Preseason snaps are fine but teams will start to actually game plan for the season. Could be a big difference. Plus I am still in the boat that says Rodgers does not scare defenses like Favre did. All sides of the ball will be hurting. It will make a difference come season time. They might not be a pushover but they will not be better than the Vikings. We will take this division. Thart is if we can stay away from injuries.
    Injuries are an issue for both Jackson and Rodgers as both haven't had a seeason without some,
    Frerotte does give the Vikes an edge with an experienced backup.
    If needed I could see Gus getting the Vikes a win, I can't say that for the current Packer backups.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Yes we Can ! (<- not an Obama commercial).

We can overtake the Packers. They are solid, but not great. Not unbeatable. Starting a QB with zero experience starting in the NFL is a huge, huge issue.

Also, I still maintain that a lot of Ryan Grant's 2007 yardage came when the defenses were back in max. protect to stop Favre.

Also, I think if we avoid idiotic playcalling like we exhibited in the game last year, when we kept blitzing Favre, we should be o.k.

"singersp" wrote:

I don't.

Just joking around man. I know it'll actually be tough this year. Packers are still the reigning champs and we haven't proved anything yet. I just always enjoy jokes at the expense of the Bears and Lions and decided it wasn't fair to leave out our favorite cheeseheads.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

lukeshkin is offline Rookie

i think at this point the pack has more holes than we do their d-line has questions after for some reason they traded corey williams and the injury concerns of justin harell their linebackers are ok as a unit barnett is good popinga and hawk are just average the packers secondary is getting older especially at conrer and they havent reall done anything to address that yet. i think our only real concerns on D are depth primaraly the D end rotation and S with madieu injured. offensively the packers are weak at both guard spots. ryan grant did show flashes but that was with the threat of a favre led passing game grant should see more 8-9 man fronts because of rodgers and teams gameplanning for him. the strongest part of the packers O is their WR's but it wont matter when rodgers is getting flattened. if we beat the packers week one in lambeau there is no reason we shouldn't sweep them. the division is the vikings for the taking and i think they will capture their first nfc north title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast