Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Can Robinson deliver?

Robinson Being Counted On
    By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jul 7, 2004

Much of the discussion of off-season acquisitions has centered around Antoine Winfield and Kenechi Udeze. But, many around Winter Park believe Marcus Robinson could be the difference maker on offense.

When Mike Tice introduced fans (and defensive coordinators) to the Randy Ratio, he likely didn't envision the kind of season the Vikings would have in 2003.

In the second year since the departure of Cris Carter, the Vikings again failed to adequately replace him. The two guys they brought in to be that player -- Derrick Alexander and D'Wayne Bates -- were awful and eventually both were released. The numbers from last year speak volumes as to why Marcus Robinson will be under the microscope (and hopefully not an arthroscope) this year.

Last year, Moss caught 111 passes -- exactly the same number as the next two leading receivers combined. The problem with that? Those two players were Moe Williams (65 receptions) and Jim Kleinsasser (46).

When it came to other wide receivers, the Vikings were nothing short of awful. Nate Burleson, Kelly Campbell and Bates combined to catch just 69 passes. Robinson alone is expected to catch that many passes -- and likely equal or better the seven touchdowns the three players combined for last year.

Coach Mike Tice and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan were aggressive in going after Robinson, after the Ravens turned their backs when they thought they had Terrell Owens wrapped up. Now is his chance to finally try to help the Vikings put Carter behind them and move ahead in 2004.

Alexander clearly didn't work. Bates simply didn't have the speed or talent to get the job done. While Robinson has some major injury concerns, this will be his chance to erase the bad memories of the last two seasons and get the Vikings moving ahead in the right direction.

----------------------------------------

I live in Chicago, and thus I remember Marcus Robinson ripping us apart in 1999/2000. Can he do it again? Can he overcome his injuries to give us the best one-two receiver punch in the league? Thoughts?

Personally, I think he can - in fact, I think this may even be his breakout year. I expect him to have 75 catches for 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Can Robinson deliver?

Personally, I think Campbell and Burleson will get too many touches for stats like that to ever materialize, unless we pass the ball most of the time, which we shouldn't and won't.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Can Robinson deliver?

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Personally, I think he can - in fact, I think this may even be his breakout year. I expect him to have 75 catches for 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns.
    ahem ... let's not forget moss plays opposite robinson ... no #2 WR ever has those type of stats unless they are the only targets ... and let's not forget we have moe williams, jimmy k, moore, kelly campbell and nate burleson

personally, i can see robinson going for about 45-50 catches and 600-700 yards with a good 5-7 TDs

wyviking is offline Rookie

Can Robinson deliver?

robinson should be a big part of drawing defenders way from moss and if not, moss drawing defenders way from robinson so how i see it we should have better time this year going deep
    theres no MOSS in wyoming just sagebrush

Can Robinson deliver?

"wyviking" wrote:
    robinson should be a big part of drawing defenders way from moss and if not, moss drawing defenders way from robinson so how i see it we should have better time this year going deep
    AHMEN not only do we have a great combination of air delivery but we have a Back field that is going to Roll ON, not to forget the Big D what does it look like :?:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

bitterbruce is offline Waterboy

Receivers ran poor patterns last year

Robinson is somebody that can get open. Chris Carter was the best I've ever seen in purple at finding the seems and getting open but Robinson is very very good from what I've heard. Last year the receivers did not do a real great job at getting open and running patterns. I think Robinson will do real real well in the red zone in jump ball situations and by just flat out making teams pay for doubling Randy. Burelson has the skills to be a very good number two guy eventually but the receiver position is the hardest of any for a rookie to just come in and be special. He showed in college he has the tools and having Robinson as another deep threat can only help both Moss and Burleson in their games.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Can Robinson deliver?

I just hope that Robinson stays healthy. I think if he stays healthy he will put up between 500 and 700 yards and probably 4 to 7 touchdowns! We just have too many people to throw to with Bennett, Burleson, Campbell, Moe, Moore, Jimmy K, and Wiggins. Lets just hope eveyone stays healthy and we make a good run this season!! I don't care who gets the stats, lets get the most important things, the W's!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

AngloVike is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Can Robinson deliver?

Robinson will hopefully provide a genuine threat which will stop our #2 WR being ignored and so allowing Moss to be double teamed.
    I thought that Bates would do that but he never quite made it which was a pity, eventually you may see Burleson or Campbell come to that spot but they need at least another season before they could be classed as the #2.
    You know that he's not going to get as many passes his way as Moss but if he can make the catches needed to keep the chains moving then he will be doing his job just fine.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Can Robinson deliver?

I think, regardless of who is next to him, Moss should always be double covered. You have to do that too him, because he that good. Defenses, i think, have relized that, and he is going to get double teamed. What our offensive play callers need to realize is, that doesn't matter. The guy had 111 catches for 1600+ yards and 17 TDs when Jimmy K was in the top-3 of our WRs. He can out jump anyone in the league, you don't need a favorable match-up. We need to get back to just Tossing it up to him Deep and letting him go get it.

I think, any failures of our passing game has to be palces squarely on the shoulders of Scot Linehan. Daunte Culpepper is among the best in the NFC, Moss IS the best in the game. We don't have to be sneaky, we don't have to be conservative, we just have to call the right plays, and have the right timing.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

Can Robinson deliver?

i agree 100% with vikeman.

lets open up our weapns on offense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast