Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Can Ponder navigate the chaos of the NFL?

Can Ponder navigate the chaos of the NFL?

It's too early to declare the Vikings QB a success or a bust, but he faces a stiff challenge in handling the speed of the game.

Reusse: Can Ponder navigate the chaos of the NFL? | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    For the 12th overall pick, someone who was picked because of his intelligence, he sure as hell better pick up the speed of the game. I am not expecting him to be All Pro, especially in his second year. He will have a better line, better targets for short routes (TE, Backs, Slot), he still lacks a group of quality receivers. I am hoping he will be able to manage the game, not make mistakes, and show more progression while staying healthy.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Ponder got worse as the season progressed, primarily due to the injuries and pounding he took.
    Not sure he has the arm strength to make 'all the throws', and the Vikings put him in a tough spot.
    No off season. No pass protection. No targets to throw to. And worst of all, an offensive coordinator who doesn't seem to know how to game plan to protect Ponder.

I think Ponder has the ability to take charge and turn things around, but I get the sense that Webb will be our QB by mid season due to Ponder's inability to stay healthy.
    Hope I'm wrong about that.

I think we will have a better ability to judge Ponder fairly after the pre-season.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Ponder got worse as the season progressed, primarily due to the injuries and pounding he took.
    Not sure he has the arm strength to make 'all the throws', and the Vikings put him in a tough spot.
    No off season. No pass protection. No targets to throw to. And worst of all, an offensive coordinator who doesn't seem to know how to game plan to protect Ponder.

I think Ponder has the ability to take charge and turn things around, but I get the sense that Webb will be our QB by mid season due to Ponder's inability to stay healthy.
    Hope I'm wrong about that.

I think we will have a better ability to judge Ponder fairly after the pre-season.
    I don't know if we can say that Ponder has an inability to stay healthy. He suffered a hip pointer against the Broncos, an injury that was aggravated against the Bears. That isn't really an injury that a person can be "prone" to. He did suffer a concussion against Washington, but started the next week. I tend to think that was more of a preventative benching - the line was letting everyone by and he was getting killed out there.

I would like to see whether or not he stays healthy behind a revamped line. I am really looking forward to pre-season to see how well he does after a true offseason.

And while I like Webb, I still don't see him as a real starter in the NFL. He is a fun person to have as a backup because he plays the game so differently... but as a starter I feel that he is relatively easy to game plan against, and would not be as effective. So I am pulling for Ponder this season not because I am 100% sold on him yet, but because I feel like we have no other viable alternatives.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    The two biggest marks against Ponder coming out of college was his arm (strength/accuracy) and staying healty. Last year, we didnt get answers to these questions, he got injured and made a lot of dumb throws as well as under/over throwing people.

This is his year, we have to see what he can do, we've used the 4th overall pick to get him line help, our line will be better this year, i have no doubt about that, so this is make or break for him imho.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    The addition of Kalil will go a long way in answering this question, but I think Ponder will be fine.

Don't think he'll ever be an elite talent, and he may only make it to one or two pro-bowls in his career, but he'll be good. I said this in another thread, but I think his playing style is very similar to Jeff Garcia.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Always makes me laugh when the favourite player is always the the backup :-) Given the lack of off season time last year, inept play calling which still leaned on AD, a piss poor OL and blocking that my old mother could get past and Ponder still gets little love. Course we all expected him to come out and play like a seasoned pro.
    Maybe if the revamped line has improved and the OC/QB coaches actually help him by teaching him like they're supposed to then he will improve. Then again sure it will allow some to say "see, told you he sucked " and then start doing their mock drafts and look on which QB we can draft next year.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Good article! (unfortunately) I agree with it.
    Ponder has never been "elite" in his career and has never blown people away in college or high school. However, I still believe in him and like his character and flashes of potential. Looking forward to see him play this season with a much better pass protection in Kali.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Wasn't happy where we drafted him.
    Wasn't happy with his arm strength last season.
    Clearly showed that he cannot throw back shoulder throws( the bread and butter of the league) to the far side of the field.
    Late on his reads( can improve)
    Showed great athleticism.
    Was worried that he cannot shake the injury bug. Proved me right. He has not had major career threatening injuries in 3 straight years.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Apparently to some, our OL, WR corp, play calling, & OCing didn't start sucking until after the 2010 season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast