Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Except he wasn't under pressure,...
    Linebacker 57 was blitzing free and clear through the gap right into his face. That is pressure.

he didn't make any reads (he was focused on the same receiver the entire time),
    He saw blitz, and he knew he had to get the ball out and go through progressions. Seeing the receiver get passed the defender, he knew the ball had to be deep and to the outside without going out of bounds. That is a read.

... and he didn't find the open receiver - the receiver was covered the entire time and there was at least one WR who WAS open.
    The receiver had the defender beat at the 20 yard line. Just because a quarterback throws to the primary, and a defender is in the area, does not mean the receiver was not open.

It helped considerably that the defender never turned his head once, never knew that the ball was even in the air. And the WR made a pretty good catch.
    The defender was beat, and he could not recover because the ball was thrown to a spot that only the receiver could catch it. As it was, the receiver almost misplayed the ball.

It was a fun play to watch, to be sure, but it was nothing special. Let's not make it into anything it wasn't, or try and compare it to anything that another QB did or did not do.
    I agree that it was nothing special for an NFL quarterback. My question was if Ponder could take that pressure, make that read, and throw to that spot consistently. So far, I have not seen it.

In similar situations, we have seen Ponder tuck the ball and run or get sacked. If he does get the ball out, it is usually to a short depth receiver often short of the first down and not in stride. Deep passes in those situations have often been off the mark, out of bounds, or intercepted. So the question posed is legitimate: can Ponder make that throw under those conditions consistently?

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    No.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    No.
    Well, that certainly gets to the point.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Show me a Qb going throw his reads, rolling out to buy time and then launching the ball deep to beat coverage and I will say, impressive.
    Mmmmmm Brett Favre.

Yeah really wish we have a QB with those things.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Can Ponder make this pass consistently?

Many teams do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12