Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Can Ponder make this pass consistently?

This pass is from MBT against the Bills. Can Ponder, as the Vikings starter, make this pass consistently.

NFL.com

Minnesota Vikings quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson to Rodney Smith for a touchdown - NFL Videos

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    It wasn't that impressive a throw. He just hoisted it up.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    '
    Maybe that's Ponder's problem. He won't just throw one up once and awhile. You will never complete a long pass if you never throw one.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Seriously? Its called touch buddy. And for a guy like MBT to make that pass is even more impressive. Did you not watch that whole drive?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Can Ponder make this pass consistently?

Even if it wasn't a great pass it was something we have not seen from a QB in nearly a decade except the one year Farve was worth a crap.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quarterback under pressure, reads the deep receiver open, throws it to the outside and in bounds ... not impressive?

Ponder missed a receiver ten yards deep in a similar situation. I would take the deep TD over a missed throw and an interception.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    YOu guys should know that I'm not a Ponder fan but I don't think this play will make canton. Show me a Qb going throw his reads, rolling out to buy time and then launching the ball deep to beat coverage and I will say, impressive. I would give you it was impressive for MBT. He is not the answer. Really wish we had drafted Bray in the 7th.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    YOu guys should know that I'm not a Ponder fan but I don't think this play will make canton. Show me a Qb going throw his reads, rolling out to buy time and then launching the ball deep to beat coverage and I will say, impressive. I would give you it was impressive for MBT. He is not the answer. Really wish we had drafted Bray in the 7th.
    He went unsigned. Nothing exciting to write home about........

Tyler Bray, QB for the Kansas City Chiefs at NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Quarterback under pressure, reads the deep receiver open, throws it to the outside and in bounds ... not impressive?

Ponder missed a receiver ten yards deep in a similar situation. I would take the deep TD over a missed throw and an interception.
    Except he wasn't under pressure, he didn't make any reads (he was focused on the same receiver the entire time), and he didn't find the open receiver - the receiver was covered the entire time and there was at least one WR who WAS open.

It helped considerably that the defender never turned his head once, never knew that the ball was even in the air. And the WR made a pretty good catch.

It was a fun play to watch, to be sure, but it was nothing special. Let's not make it into anything it wasn't, or try and compare it to anything that another QB did or did not do.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Except he wasn't under pressure, he didn't make any reads (he was focused on the same receiver the entire time), and he didn't find the open receiver - the receiver was covered the entire time and there was at least one WR who WAS open.

It helped considerably that the defender never turned his head once, never knew that the ball was even in the air. And the WR made a pretty good catch.

It was a fun play to watch, to be sure, but it was nothing special. Let's not make it into anything it wasn't, or try and compare it to anything that another QB did or did not do.
    But he did it against an exotic defense. I hear they're tough to read.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast