Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415

    Can Ponder make this pass consistently?

    This pass is from MBT against the Bills. Can Ponder, as the Vikings starter, make this pass consistently.

    NFL.com

    Minnesota Vikings quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson to Rodney Smith for a touchdown - NFL Videos

  2. #2
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    It wasn't that impressive a throw. He just hoisted it up.

  3. #3
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    It wasn't that impressive a throw. He just hoisted it up.
    '
    Maybe that's Ponder's problem. He won't just throw one up once and awhile. You will never complete a long pass if you never throw one.

  4. #4
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    It wasn't that impressive a throw. He just hoisted it up.

    Seriously? Its called touch buddy. And for a guy like MBT to make that pass is even more impressive. Did you not watch that whole drive?

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Can Ponder make this pass consistently?

    Even if it wasn't a great pass it was something we have not seen from a QB in nearly a decade except the one year Farve was worth a crap.

  6. #6
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    It wasn't that impressive a throw. He just hoisted it up.
    Quarterback under pressure, reads the deep receiver open, throws it to the outside and in bounds ... not impressive?

    Ponder missed a receiver ten yards deep in a similar situation. I would take the deep TD over a missed throw and an interception.

  7. #7
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    YOu guys should know that I'm not a Ponder fan but I don't think this play will make canton. Show me a Qb going throw his reads, rolling out to buy time and then launching the ball deep to beat coverage and I will say, impressive. I would give you it was impressive for MBT. He is not the answer. Really wish we had drafted Bray in the 7th.

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    YOu guys should know that I'm not a Ponder fan but I don't think this play will make canton. Show me a Qb going throw his reads, rolling out to buy time and then launching the ball deep to beat coverage and I will say, impressive. I would give you it was impressive for MBT. He is not the answer. Really wish we had drafted Bray in the 7th.
    He went unsigned. Nothing exciting to write home about........

    Tyler Bray, QB for the Kansas City Chiefs at NFL.com

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Quarterback under pressure, reads the deep receiver open, throws it to the outside and in bounds ... not impressive?

    Ponder missed a receiver ten yards deep in a similar situation. I would take the deep TD over a missed throw and an interception.
    Except he wasn't under pressure, he didn't make any reads (he was focused on the same receiver the entire time), and he didn't find the open receiver - the receiver was covered the entire time and there was at least one WR who WAS open.

    It helped considerably that the defender never turned his head once, never knew that the ball was even in the air. And the WR made a pretty good catch.

    It was a fun play to watch, to be sure, but it was nothing special. Let's not make it into anything it wasn't, or try and compare it to anything that another QB did or did not do.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Except he wasn't under pressure, he didn't make any reads (he was focused on the same receiver the entire time), and he didn't find the open receiver - the receiver was covered the entire time and there was at least one WR who WAS open.

    It helped considerably that the defender never turned his head once, never knew that the ball was even in the air. And the WR made a pretty good catch.

    It was a fun play to watch, to be sure, but it was nothing special. Let's not make it into anything it wasn't, or try and compare it to anything that another QB did or did not do.
    But he did it against an exotic defense. I hear they're tough to read.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •