Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Can The Minnesota Vikings Win The NFC North in 2009?

[size=13pt]The Minnesota Vikings Are Still The Team To Beat The NFC North[/size]

The Minnesota Vikings have made several key roster changes for the 2009 season, but it is still the reigning NFC North champions...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: The Vikings Are Still The Team To Beat The NFC North

A couple nice reads there, I especially liked the article on Tyrell. Tyrell and Madi are going to be a great safety tandem.

The only way we don't repeat as NFCN Champs, is if the injury bug hits us. The Bears might start out as a challenger, but that defense is getting older and slower, I'm gonna miss watching JA smash baby face Orton, but I am really gonna enjoy the Cutler crush even more. ;D

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleTide" wrote:

A couple nice reads there, I especially liked the article on Tyrell. Tyrell and Madi are going to be a great safety tandem.

The only way we don't repeat as NFCN Champs, is if the injury bug hits us. The Bears might start out as a challenger, but that defense is getting older and slower, I'm gonna miss watching JA smash baby face Orton, but I am really gonna enjoy the Cutler crush even more. ;D
    I'm still not sold on tyrell being a star...

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]The Minnesota Vikings Are Still The Team To Beat The NFC North[/size]

The Minnesota Vikings have made several key roster changes for the 2009 season, but it is still the reigning NFC North champions...
    Wow... that article... hmmm... what's the word... sucked?

Seriously, it's nothing but a bunch of statements, no back-up.
    It's almost like a management report with too many sentences.

The Vikings lost "several" starters... Birk and Sharper make "several"?
    Ryan Cook is going to battle for the RG spot?
    He mentions we have a tackle playing tackle but doesn't mention who that is or really the impact of the draft on any team.
    No mention of EJ and Udeze returning from injuries?

Goodness... anyone with a keyboard I guess...
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

"PurpleTide" wrote:

And last year we were supposed to sweep the NFCN too in most people's opinions (here).

Bears D is pretty solid, their success will depend on Cutler.
    Teams know their only weapons are their TEs and Forte.
    Bears still have a weak O Line and really no receiving corp outside of Hester who's only real weapon is speed.
    If D's can marginalize Forte and the TEs, the Bears will struggle.
    If D's can't, or if the Bears O Line and WRs step up, the Bears will be solid.
    They are old on D and injury prone which could be the wild card for them.
    Another wild card is their ST which year in and year out seems to be solid and has won them games over the past several seasons.

GB also has a solid D, great receiving corp, and adept QB.
    If they can develop more of a running game and get better blocking, they are a dangerous team.
    I believe last years record was more of an anomaly then a representation of their talent.
    They have a great pass D but are switching schemes this year because of inability to stop the run I believe.
    They fired their entire D coaching staff following last year's inability to hold a lead.
    How that switch works out and the ability of their over the hill CBs to stay healthy will likely dictate how well the team does this year.
    Their O is going to score points, if their D holds a team under 20 they'll win a lot of games.

The entire NFCN is on the rise.
    I think the Vikings can beat any team in it, any team in the NFL, but these are solid teams that could put a whoopin on us if we don't bring our A game.
    We're nice and young at critical positions where the Bears and Pack are getting a bit older in those spots (we have an old CB and DT where as they have an old MLB or both CBs).
    Vikings are definitely going to continue to improve, not just this year but into the future.
    How the Packers and Bears work to replace those key vets will likely dictate their future competitiveness.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    And last year we were supposed to sweep the NFCN too in most people's opinions (here).
    No one (except the 85 Bores) can sweep the NFCN...... ;D

Bears D is pretty solid, their success will depend on Cutler.
    Teams know their only weapons are their TEs and Forte.
    Bears still have a weak O Line and really no receiving corp outside of Hester who's only real weapon is speed.
    If D's can marginalize Forte and the TEs, the Bears will struggle.
    If D's can't, or if the Bears O Line and WRs step up, the Bears will be solid.
    They are old on D and injury prone which could be the wild card for them.
    Another wild card is their ST which year in and year out seems to be solid and has won them games over the past several seasons.
    Bores D isn't as solid as most think.
    Age and injuries will again limit them.

If I was Cutler I would be worried about that OL.
    Pace (LT) and Williams (RT) have injury issues.

When that OL gets Culter hurt, who steps up Basanez?
    Hanie?

Long story short, they have some good looking front line players but that team is old and it doesn't have any depth.
    Can we project injuries?
    No but they will happen.
    The good teams have the depth to plug that whole, the Bores don't.

GB also has a solid D, great receiving corp, and adept QB.
    If they can develop more of a running game and get better blocking, they are a dangerous team.
    I believe last years record was more of an anomaly then a representation of their talent.
    They have a great pass D but are switching schemes this year because of inability to stop the run I believe.
    They fired their entire D coaching staff following last year's inability to hold a lead.
    How that switch works out and the ability of their over the hill CBs to stay healthy will likely dictate how well the team does this year.
    Their O is going to score points, if their D holds a team under 20 they'll win a lot of games.
    I have big issues (well not really cause I like the issues) with GB's defense.
    GB had a decent defense last year but it wasn't good enough, thus the scheme change.
    That scheme change alone will take that "Decent" defense and render it inconsistent.

The entire NFCN is on the rise.
    I think the Vikings can beat any team in it, any team in the NFL, but these are solid teams that could put a whoopin on us if we don't bring our A game.
    We're nice and young at critical positions where the Bears and Pack are getting a bit older in those spots (we have an old CB and DT where as they have an old MLB or both CBs).
    Vikings are definitely going to continue to improve, not just this year but into the future.
    How the Packers and Bears work to replace those key vets will likely dictate their future competitiveness
    Again, I don't think the Bores and PUKERs took a step forward at all.
    Infact I think other than the QB positions on both teams, they took steps backwards.
    Bores for not addressing thier WR position and PUKERs for changing thier scheme.

The Lions on the other hand, I believe, actually got better all the way around.
    They will struggle with inconsistency because of the wholesale gut/rebuilding of the team but they won't be the Lions of old as most suspect IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Again, I don't think the Bores and PUKERs took a step forward at all.
    Infact I think other than the QB positions on both teams, they took steps backwards.
    Bores for not addressing thier WR position and PUKERs for changing thier scheme.

The Lions on the other hand, I believe, actually got better all the way around.
    They will struggle with inconsistency because of the wholesale gut/rebuilding of the team but they won't be the Lions of old as most suspect IMHO.
    You're silly, you repeated most of what I said :P
    Fact is, Bears and Packers both have "potential".
    The Bears potential could be limited by age causing injury and O Line and WR issues (all noted in my discussions and yours) and Packers by their D changes (against noted in my discussions and yours).

You are far too astute to assume the changes those teams are making are automatically going to fail.
    Especially after watching the rise of the Falcons and Dolphins last year.
    Flash in the pan short term success is the expectation set in today's NFL.

As for step forward... what step forward have the Vikings taken?
    We barely squeaked by the Bears to win the NFCN, it wasn't a shoe in by any stretch.
    How are we better this year?
    Two new starters on our O Line?
    A 2nd year Safety?
    Winfield another year older?
    Our Pro Bowl DT's facing 4 game suspensions?
    Have we solved our QB "issue" with the trade for Seth?
    Is Percy Harvin really going to be that big of a game changer in our offensive scheme?

Seriously, what step forward have the Vikings taken beyond the "hope" that the team continues to mature and gel together?
    The talent exchange was more a less a wash this year for the Vikings IMO.
    If the team doesn't execute better as a unit, watch out.

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    You're silly, you repeated most of what I said :P
    Fact is, Bears and Packers both have "potential".
    The Bears potential could be limited by age causing injury and O Line and WR issues (all noted in my discussions and yours) and Packers by their D changes (against noted in my discussions and yours).
    I guess I did sorta/in a way now didn't I...... Great minds think alike.....;D

You are far too astute to assume the changes those teams are making are automatically going to fail.
    Especially after watching the rise of the Falcons and Dolphins last year.
    Flash in the pan short term success is the expectation set in today's NFL.

As for step forward... what step forward have the Vikings taken?
    We barely squeaked by the Bears to win the NFCN, it wasn't a shoe in by any stretch.
    How are we better this year?
    Two new starters on our O Line?
    A 2nd year Safety?
    Winfield another year older?
    Our Pro Bowl DT's facing 4 game suspensions?
    Have we solved our QB "issue" with the trade for Seth?
    Is Percy Harvin really going to be that big of a game changer in our offensive scheme?
    What steps did we really need to take?

My biggest issue with this team isn't its talent level but rather its ability to be consistent day in and day out.
    When you can field almost the same starters (almost everyone of them should be better this year) as well as backups you will increase the consistency factor.

Am I concerned over the C and S position?
    Sure, I would be silly not to be, however, I am more concerned over depth at DT (Williams Wall issue) and if Rice/Allison are ready to take the next step.

Percy, I kindof consider him a "Nice to have" kindof player.
    A "Wildcard" if you will.
    He doesn't have to come in and be a game changer/instant star to make us better.
    He just has to contribute a little bit here and there when asked.

Seriously, what step forward have the Vikings taken beyond the "hope" that the team continues to mature and gel together?
    The talent exchange was more a less a wash this year for the Vikings IMO.
    If the team doesn't execute better as a unit, watch out.
    See my comments above.
    All teams lose players during the offseason.
    The good ones have a guy in the wings ready to step up.
    Reps by STJ give me a warm and fuzzy that he will be "Good Enough" and I think that if Sully wins the C job Hutch will help in the Line Calling area.

Again, those 2 issues are slight when one considers what GB has done with thier D and the Bores efforts (or lack thereof) to improve thier aging defense and OL.
    Seriously, Pace?
    Do you think he will be there for all 16 games?
    Williams, nothing better than a T with a perenial bad back....... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    My biggest issue with this team isn't its talent level but rather its ability to be consistent day in and day out.
    When you can field almost the same starters (almost everyone of them should be better this year) as well as backups you will increase the consistency factor.
    The issue becomes what can our coaching staff do to improve the consistency?
    Our D will be solid I believe, I think enough talent exists to overcome the shortcomings of Frasier.
    But our O Coaching staff hasn't really shown the ability to mature players.
    Have we seen Allison or Rice improve?
    Did Berrian's production go up or down as the season progressed and teams learned to jam him?
    AD's been in the league 2 years and still can't block?
    We have an O Line completely unable to execute a screen play?
    Ryan Cook has started for 2 years and still has issues?
    Three years into the league and TJ is still playing with a limited play book only being allowed to use half the field?

I mean, I understand most football players aren't rocket scientists but I seriously question our staffs ability to increase the execution level of our team's talent.
    I'm not talking Chilly, though I believe he's responsible for his assistant coaching staff, but more so the positional coaches working with players on a day to day basis to improve their execution of their assignments.
    You're apparently most optimistic then I am regarding their abilities to do just that.

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The issue becomes what can our coaching staff do to improve the consistency?
    Our D will be solid I believe, I think enough talent exists to overcome the shortcomings of Frasier.
    But our O Coaching staff hasn't really shown the ability to mature players.
    Have we seen Allison or Rice improve?
    Did Berrian's production go up or down as the season progressed and teams learned to jam him?
    AD's been in the league 2 years and still can't block?
    We have an O Line completely unable to execute a screen play?
    Ryan Cook has started for 2 years and still has issues?
    Three years into the league and TJ is still playing with a limited play book only being allowed to use half the field?

I mean, I understand most football players aren't rocket scientists but I seriously question our staffs ability to increase the execution level of our team's talent.
    I'm not talking Chilly, though I believe he's responsible for his assistant coaching staff, but more so the positional coaches working with players on a day to day basis to improve their execution of their assignments.
    You're apparently most optimistic then I am regarding their abilities to do just that.
    Valid points on the coaching staffs role that I agree 100% with, with one caveat.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that I do think that the players have just as big a role in thier development as the coaching staff.
    My optimism is based on a assumption that they will have come in and did thier due dilegence, right along with the coaches to improve on the areas they were "Inconsistent" at last year.

Again with a gut feeling today (using that a bit) but I think this team is on the verge of clicking in all areas and we will see improvement across the board, even in areas we as fans don't think can be improved upon.

AD and CT will get huge yards this year and it won't be because teams aren't putting 8 in the box because of our improved passing abilities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast