Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tdawg0002 is offline Rookie

Can Hovan Play Up to His Potential

"howln4u" wrote:
    I say trade him know with O Smith or Moe Williams to Miami for Ogunlye. Switch to a 3/4 with Udeze, Ogunlye and WIlliams at the front 3 and move Mixon and Johnson as a pass rushing.

We would have a top tier young line and good young linebackers. We wouldnt have to worry about Hovans contract, we can spend the money on a proven lineman in Ogunlye.

That is quite possibly the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Ogunleye isn't any better than Hovan. Now that Hovan has gotten back to his slimmer self, he will be at the top of his game and the Vikes D-line will be one of the best in the league.

Also, going to a 3-4 is a terrible idea. Our biggest weakness this year is going to be the play of our linebackers. They are young and inexperienced. Linebacker is one of the hardest positions to adapt to in the pros. Why put an extra linebacker on the field when that is our weakest position to begin with?
    Protect our future...Keep your kids out of the reach of any Green Bay Packers.

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

I also agree that is was the dumbest thing I have heard. Ogunlye isn't proven he had one good year so did Hovan so how does that make him a proven player he could come in here and stink up the joint as well and why don't we wait and see what kind of year Hovan has before you start trading him. If he doesn't play better this year he won't be a viking and if he end up still being a viking next year after a sub par year it won't be for the money that would be considered over paid because if he doesn't play well most likely no one will over pay for him. Like Mike Tice said if Chris plays well this year he will be a rich man if not they will have to wait it out and see what happens.

tdawg0002 is offline Rookie

Thank you little redhead, my thoughts exactly! :wink:
    Protect our future...Keep your kids out of the reach of any Green Bay Packers.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Gottta agree with both of you (Tdawg & Little Redhead), no way we should trade him now, wait and see if he can produce.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"little redhead" wrote:
    I also agree that is was the dumbest thing I have heard. Ogunlye isn't proven he had one good year so did Hovan so how does that make him a proven player he could come in here and stink up the joint as well and why don't we wait and see what kind of year Hovan has before you start trading him. If he doesn't play better this year he won't be a viking and if he end up still being a viking next year after a sub par year it won't be for the money that would be considered over paid because if he doesn't play well most likely no one will over pay for him. Like Mike Tice said if Chris plays well this year he will be a rich man if not they will have to wait it out and see what happens.

Also, ogunleye is a pass rushing DE. He is fit for a 4-3, not a 3-4. 3-4 DE's need to be able to stop the run as well and ogunleye can't. Udeze would fit well in a 3-4 though. Kevin Williams isn't a nose tackle that you need in a 3-4 either. He would fit better at DE in a 3-4. This seems like a rediculous thing to do, just because hovan is a FA at the end of the year.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Exactly how much value would you get for a loudmouth, underachieving defensive lineman (assuming he doesn't put up the number you guys expect from him)? You sure wouldn't get O-Gun for him without a high draft choice attached.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

I actually think that Hovan would almost draw another draft pick from Miami along with O-gun. Of course he would need to have the type of year that we know he is cabable of, but just looking at what he has done and what he brings to a defense, I would have to say that either the trade would be even or we would get more. But of course my opinions are one sided since Hovan is one of my favorite players, but that's my story and I'm sticking too it! One more thing LOS, Since when was being a loudmouth a bad thing for a D lineman? That attitude goes with the position.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know why you think Ogunleye can't stop the run. Personally I don't watch alot of Dolphin games, but he probably holds his own a little better than Jason Taylor. Besides you don't keep players on the field 100% of the time if he has such a blatant weakness.

Hovan is a very talented player who has had one bad year for us. To get rid of him any time soon would be stupid, we spent a first rounder on the guy a few years ago, you don't just cut him, he's not Jamal Reynolds.

That being said he should get a new contract in the range of the 10-20th best DT in the league, not bettter.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Very good point there Stallion!!!!!!! Hovan really has only had one bad year, but this year will be the true test. If he doesn't have a good year this year with all of the other talent on our D-line I don't see how you can still call him a top 10 D-lineman in the league? But if he does finally step up then I don't see how you can't. This year will be a turning point in his career one way or the other. He desprately needs to step up, for the team and himself!
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I don't know why you think Ogunleye can't stop the run. Personally I don't watch alot of Dolphin games, but he probably holds his own a little better than Jason Taylor. Besides you don't keep players on the field 100% of the time if he has such a blatant weakness.

Hovan is a very talented player who has had one bad year for us. To get rid of him any time soon would be stupid, we spent a first rounder on the guy a few years ago, you don't just cut him, he's not Jamal Reynolds.

That being said he should get a new contract in the range of the 10-20th best DT in the league, not bettter.

Although this doesn't mean everything about ogunleye, I have seen some stats of rushes to right and left sides of nfl teams. The dolphins were extremely weak against the run to ogunleye's side. This doesn't totally reflect on him, but it does some. I have seen ogunleye play and he is a lot like KGB when playing against the run. He is in no way a DE for a 3-4 D, not at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12