Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Can Hovan Play Up to His Potential

I found this article about Chris Hovan and how much he talked last year with out backing it up on the field. I along with mostly all Vikings fans expected big things from Hovan last year and was pretty disapointed that he didn't perform. Now trust me I am as big a fan of Hovan as anyone, and think that he has the athleticism and fire to be a GREAT tackle, but 2 sacks and 36 tackles isn't gonna cut it. In my opinion this year is very important for Hovan. If he doesn't perform this year he will be cut. There is too much talent on the line now for him to be double teamed every play like the last couple of years, so there's no more excuses! Just Results. Do you guys think that Hovan will have his breakthrough season this year or will he flounder under the pressure? I personally am predicting 10+ sacks and 40+ tackles for my boy this year. I hope that I am right. Heres the link. GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS?
    EVEN YOU ASS PACKERS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1850099
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I'll be the first to admit that he probably got some double teams last year, and that limited him.

On the other hand, the truly great DLmen don't make excuses about being double teamed.

He also didn't get double teamed every single down, and he still didn't make that much of an impact.

I lose a lot of respect for players who toot their own horn and don't back it up. I don't care which team they play for. The fact that Hovan went with his Favre obsession didn't endear me to him any more.

I don't think he will do that well this season. He will still probably draw the double teams until some of your other DLmen demand equal coverage, and I don't know if the young'uns will do that in their rookie or first seasons.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

I think he'll finish with around 8 sacks and thats ok with me. If he isnt double teamed he must finish with atleast 11 sacks..

DoyleRulz84 is offline Rookie

I see him getting 6 sacks its harder for DT to get sacks than DE
    4ee016e435d4da86194a9f140c831959

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Although it is not all about the numbers he did other things last year that made some impact on the defense he did not have the year that everyone expected including him. I agree that you shouldn't be too cocky unless you can back it up and he got caught up in the hype last year but it is funny as I was replying to this I am listening to KFAN and they just had Mark Rosen on who is a local tv sports caster for those of you not in Minnesota and he they were asking him his thoughts about what he has seen so far in training camp and the first thing he brought up was how good Hovan was looking. He made a comment that gives us all hope that Chris will have a better year if he keeps it up during the regular season Mark Rosen's comment was that by far from what he has seen the last couple days that Chris has been the fastest of all the lineman so far and that he has been making the most plays in camp anyway and that it appears that Chris's head is really in the game. If that carries into the regular season which I am sure that it will I am thinking he will have a incredible year and will get the stats that everyone wants as well as still do the other things that makes him valuable to this team.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Hovan needs to have a great year not a good year,
    is he overated or is it that the he was double teamed? I personal would watch the line play to see how often he was double-teamed and it was not every play.

He needs to produce or he will be gone! He Needs to be around 10 sacks and 50 tackles.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Hovan needs to have a great year not a good year,
    is he overated or is it that the he was double teamed? I personal would watch the line play to see how often he was double-teamed and it was not every play.

He needs to produce or he will be gone! He Needs to be around 10 sacks and 50 tackles.

The real problem with hovan last year, was that he got too big. He gained too much weight over last offseason and was slow during last season. When you think of hovan in his first 2 years, what do you think of? Quickness. He was always the first guy off the ball. He lost his quickness and his best attribute last year. In this offseason, he lost that weight he gained, and now is looking quick again. He will return to his form of a few years ago, mark my words. I won't predict double digit sacks, just that he will be harassing QB's a lot more this year.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

With the kind of money he is going to want at the end of the year, he needs to prove himself and justify the big salary.

If he doesn't produce do we risk that kind of money on someone that has been hit and miss, or do we go find someone for less money and use the money we save to resign other players?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

If hovan doesn't produce, cut him and sign someone who will, it's as simple as that. I do like Hovan and hope he plays well this year but I'm beggining to have my doubts.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

howln4u is offline Rookie

I say trade him know with O Smith or Moe Williams to Miami for Ogunlye. Switch to a 3/4 with Udeze, Ogunlye and WIlliams at the front 3 and move Mixon and Johnson as a pass rushing.

We would have a top tier young line and good young linebackers. We wouldnt have to worry about Hovans contract, we can spend the money on a proven lineman in Ogunlye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast