Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can Fox start?

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Can Fox start?

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Corey Chavous could not cover a tight end or tackle a running back if his life depended on it. The student of the game thing DOES work: Corey is always in a POSITION to make a play, that doesn't mean he DOES IT though. I'd like to see B-Will covering TE's and lighting up running backs, personally.
    actually he could, and he does.
    He can't, actually.

I can cite two examples off the top of my head: in the Christmas game (I believe?) Bubba Franks burned him, and then, when Favre underthrew the ball, Bubba caught it and trucked Corey into the end zone.

In the Indy game, Corey bounced off of Marcus Pollard and Edgerrin James with regularity.

If you watched the 1 hr replay of the Colts game on the NFL network's Game of the Week last week, all of the slow motion highlights involved Corey Chavous attempting to finger tackle someone and then ending up on the ground watching the rest of the play.

I like Corey, I really do, but he's a joker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Fox is a FS, so no he isn't gonna start at SS if chavous demands more money. Offord would definitely be the guy then, and I wouldn't be too upset with that. Offord is a better athlete and did a good job in the playoffs last year. With sharper, we still would have a vet leader at safety.

I would rather have chavous starting at SS for the contract he is currently under, but if he demands more money, he has to go and offord isn't a bad backup plan.

I am sure we would take another look at darious also if that happened.

I really don't see chavous looking for more money though. He is in a contract year, so if he goes out and plays good this year, he is gonna get his big money somewhere.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

And I don't want brian williams to be switched to SS either. That would weaken the strength of our D, our CB's. We need williams at nickel CB because kenny irvin is old and who knows how well he can play after his injury.

I would much rather go with offord at SS and leave brian williams at nickel back, then move brian williams and be stuck with no depth at CB again. I injured CB and we would be screwed like last year. Leave brian williams where he is.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I definitely think that the Vikes should try to keep Chavous, he's only one year removed from an 8-int Pro-Bowl Year, so he's no bum. On the other hand, he did play very badly last year, so he's got something to prove this year. I can't understand how he can be demanding more money. If he really thought he deserved it, last off-season would have been the time to do it. You just don't hold out after you had a bad season where you were injured. If he wants to play for $2 million, go ahead, prove that you just had a bad year, and then you'll get your money, either from us or from some other team. If he comes back and continues to play like he did last year, we can cut him then and put offord in instead. But Chavous can't be serious about a long-term holdout. The worst that could happen is that he could end up skipping an OPTIONAL mini-camp.

As for Fox starting, it won't happen. He's the backup at FS, not SS. If Sharper got injured, then you might see him playing. But if Chavous gets hurt or just simply plays bad, it will be Offord that goes in. After all, he played pretty well last year after Chavous went down.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Let's see...Dustin Fox was a 3rd round pick (thought by most "experts to be a slight reach) taken after 8 other guys at the position and he didn't play safety full-time in college. I don't know about you, but that just doesn't sound like a good combination to me. I'm thinking more along the lines of a great athlete who will take a year or two to learn the subtlties of the position before he starts.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

I dunno if Fox can start.....but this might tell ya something....

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/maasx003/Vikings/020813.html

Its a report and pix of the DBs in mini camp....

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"fred3105" wrote:
    I would be very upset if we started this guy. He was a terrible pick and he isnt that good exept at blocking field goals. We shouldnt be starting 5th round talent.
    i heard that he is a great tackler
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I like Corey Chavos, and he is one of the better safeties in the league. He struggled a little bit last year with an underachieving Linebackers, Dline, CB and FS. Yet he still put up impressive stats.

He is also one of the smartest if not the smartest guy in teh league, I was watching him on Total Access after the draft and this guy knows as much as Mel Kiper and he is a player. He knows about all the players present today, future tomorrow and a lot of the old, retired guys.

At first I thought he was a must keep. With all the defensive changeover we needed to keep a couple very good and grounded players around for chemistry reasons especially. But if Chavous is going to holdout, I say trade him. Donovon Darius is still unhappy in jacksonville and a Chavous/draft pick for Darius trade might work out real well.

All those Chavous bashers out there don't know what they are talking about. Corey is an excellent Safey and I don't want to get rid of him, but I hate Hold-outs.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I like Corey Chavos, and he is one of the better safeties in the league. He struggled a little bit last year with an underachieving Linebackers, Dline, CB and FS. Yet he still put up impressive stats.

He is also one of the smartest if not the smartest guy in teh league, I was watching him on Total Access after the draft and this guy knows as much as Mel Kiper and he is a player. He knows about all the players present today, future tomorrow and a lot of the old, retired guys.

At first I thought he was a must keep. With all the defensive changeover we needed to keep a couple very good and grounded players around for chemistry reasons especially. But if Chavous is going to holdout, I say trade him. Donovon Darius is still unhappy in jacksonville and a Chavous/draft pick for Darius trade might work out real well.

All those Chavous bashers out there don't know what they are talking about. Corey is an excellent Safey and I don't want to get rid of him, but I hate Hold-outs.

Wow, you read my mind man....agree with you whole heartedly! I've been saying this all along...Chavous and a pick for Darius....also, I do like Chavous, and he is a player...but he's gotta realize that not everyone can holdout for more money...he's not T.O., and at this point, his is replaceable...however, I don't support replacing him with Offord...if you're gonna replace a guy like Chavous, do it with a good, proven vet, like Chavous.

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Don't worry - Chavous will be back. The team will renegotiate his contract and give him a bit more money. He'll have to prove himself in training camp though cuz he had a bad year last year. If he can't perform, Offord will start. Fox won't be starting unless we have seeral injuries, because he's really raw.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234