Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Can Childress Rebuild Culpepper?

by Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

We know about Brad Childress because of his work with a certain quarterback. We may judge him on his work with another.

What we know about new Vikings coach Brad Childress is that he didn't play college football, but did help a slumbering Wisconsin program reach the Rose Bowl.

He didn't hold play-calling responsibilities in Philadelphia, but did take over those duties on occasion.

He hasn't ever been a head coach, but he has earned the respect and admiration of many of the players and coaches with whom he worked.

He hasn't won a Super Bowl, but did coach in one.

Like most promising coaches, his résumé is a mysterious amalgam of intriguing accomplishment and eye-catching white space.

But what probably got him the job was this:

He helped build the former Pro Bowl quarterback that is Donovan McNabb.

The Vikings need someone to rebuild the former Pro Bowl quarterback that is Daunte Culpepper.

In fact, now that Childress is in place, Culpepper's rehabilitation as a player, team leader and public figure will be the most intriguing aspect of the Vikings' offseason.

Culpepper had me fooled. It will be interesting to see what Childress thinks of him, once he meets him, and the way Culpepper is avoiding all things purple these days, who knows when that will be?

At this time last year, I was referring to Culpepper as a mature team leader. At the end of the preseason, I was calling him a potential NFL MVP.

Back then, Culpepper said the game had "slowed down" for him, as if he were a Jedi Knight.

I was wrong. He was wrong. The Vikings were wrong about him.

Now his career highlights look like the work of a special effects studio, and his career, should he rebound, will be remindful of The Terminator, when the gleaming skeleton crawled out of the burning wreckage.

Let's visit four corners of Culpepper's football world:

1) On the field: He played as if he had never seen a pass rusher before during the first seven weeks of the season, while a promising Vikings team started 2-5. To offer the ultimate insult, Culpepper was almost Favre-like.

2) In the trainer's room: Culpepper had his knee shredded in Game 7, leaving a 260-pound quarterback with a year's worth of rehab work and doubts that a rebuilt knee will effectively carry such mass.

3) In the locker room: He lost credibility with some teammates this season, and had a spat with center Matt Birk after the boat scandal broke.

4) In the public eye: He has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the boat scandal. Even if he wins the case, he has far to go to reestablish his local image as an all-around nice guy.

A year ago, Culpepper was the franchise player. Today, he's the franchise problem.

That's what makes the hiring of Childress so interesting. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has promised to pay Culpepper's roster bonus of $6 million in March.

That indicates the Vikings plan to reinstall him as the starter. But if the Culpepper we saw this year is the real Culpepper, the Vikings should do everything they can to rehab his image and knee, then trade him.

Wilf's stated goal is to win a Super Bowl. If Culpepper is going to wilt when asked to carry the team, then he'll never get Wilf there.

A bizarre group of quarterbacks has reached the Super Bowl in recent years, from Jake Delhomme to Trent Dilfer to Kerry Collins. Exceptional talent is no longer a requirement. Toughness and game management appear to be more prominent common denominators than passing precision.

Ask me today, and I'll take Brad Johnson as my 2006 Vikings quarterback.

The notion that he would be fragile at the age of 37 was proved wrong. He willingly withstood hits in the pocket, and looks stronger and healthier than he was in his younger days in purple.

He is superior to Culpepper in these aspects: Résumé (Johnson has won a Super Bowl), leadership, game management and locker room presence.

Culpepper might return to the field as a shell of his former self, in terms of image and talent.

If Childress can resurrect Culpepper's career, it will be the coach who deserves a generous bonus, the coach who will have proved himself worthy of comparison to mystical science fiction figures.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Can Childress Rebuild Culpepper?

We can rebuild him....nananananana

Prophet Guest

If Daunte buys into Childress and gets the fire in him he will come back strong. He will have to work hard to be the field general under Childress. Childress had McNabb studying playbooks in the limo on the way to his first mini-camp. I'm sure he will have someone working with Cpep's mental preparations as he is rehabilitating his knee this offseason. Wait 'til Childress tells him, "Daunte, I am your Father" PPPPPPHHHHHH SSHEEEEEEE PPPPPPHHHHHH SSHEEEEEEE.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ltrey33" wrote:
    We can rebuild him....nananananana
    Yes with the 6 million bonus I guess that makes him the 6 million dollar man LOL Stronger....faster....able to leap buildings in a single bound. :lol:

WWBGD

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Daunte will be the NEW Six-Million Dollar Man!

http://www.tv-timewarp.co.uk/six_million_dollar_man/Six_Million_Dollar_Man.wav
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Daunte will be the NEW Six-Million Dollar Man!

http://www.tv-timewarp.co.uk/six_million_dollar_man/Six_Million_Dollar_Man.wav
    Man, I haven't heard that in a long time. Funny stuff....we can rebuild him.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

1. Culpepper was playing in a broken offense run by a coordinator that was way over his head
    2. Culpepper can afford to slim up a bit because of the knee and still be just as effective.
    3. Credibility will be easily restored when he leads the team to a few wins.
    4. The boat scandal was a simple mistake and out of character for Culpepper.

Any competent Offensive coordinator is going to put Culpepper in a system that works and maximizes his strengths. Culpepper is going to return to the Pro Bowl next year, and win the Comeback player of the year when he does. I guarantee it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    1. Culpepper was playing in a broken offense run by a coordinator that was way over his head
    2. Culpepper can afford to slim up a bit because of the knee and still be just as effective.
    3. Credibility will be easily restored when he leads the team to a few wins.
    4. The boat scandal was a simple mistake and out of character for Culpepper.

Any competent Offensive coordinator is going to put Culpepper in a system that works and maximizes his strengths. Culpepper is going to return to the Pro Bowl next year, and win the Comeback player of the year when he does. I guarantee it.
    I will hold you to that guarantee...and hope that you are 100% correct, V-Unit!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

It's just a rumor, and an old one, but I just saw dis on ESPN insider:
    =================================================

Cards after Culpepper?
    <Jan. 3> Pro Football Weekly is hearing that the Cardinals are interested in QB Daunte Culpepper, but would consider a trade only if the Vikings' asking price is reasonable. The Cardinals won't overpay for any player, especially one coming off a serious knee injury.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

3 first round picks and fitzgerald and or boldin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast