Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    When you say that Billick "favors the pass over the run", you are just making a description of modern NFL head coaches, and they all favor the pass over the run. Also, I might add that as a Walsh/Holmgren "disciple", Childress "should" also "favor the pass", because the west coast offense is about throwing the ball to running backs and using short passes to control the game (rather than running).

    The vast majority of NFL coaches favor throwing. I think that the idea that "you can only control the clock by running" is B.S. Or do you not think that teams like the Colts "control the clock" ?

    Most NFL teams come out throwing downfield, and only use the running game to solidify the lead in the 3rd quarter. Watch almost any good NFL, and they do that. They come out and attack you vertically. Very few, or no teams will "establish the run" anymore and try to win that way.

    The pass is king in the modern NFL.

  2. #22
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    I like Childress. I like what he has done with this team, and I hope he succeeds. And he's my dad.

    But if for some reason he were canned...








    [size=6pt]Mike Holmgren[/size]

  3. #23
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    "The" wrote:
    I like Childress. I like what he has done with this team, and I hope he succeeds. And he's my dad.

    But if for some reason he were canned...








    [size=6pt]Mike Holmgren[/size]
    Lol why do keep saying he's your dad, and I think I saw this in another thread?

  4. #24
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think it would be unfortunate to see Childress not be able to get this team on the winning track this season. I think since Childress has been coach he's brought about Character Football players and enforced accountability and disipline. I think that with his philosophy comes patients but in time this pays off. The past two years we have for the most part been in a rebuilding mode, assembling players that fit our scheme and our standard as a player and person. Some of them which we already had. I think it would be unfortunate not to be able to see Jackson, Rice, Berrian, Allison and Peterson grow together as a offense under Childress. We are still so very young and new offensivly, Peterson, Rice and Allison are essentially in there rookie seasons age wise and we just got Berrian.

    IMO Wilf will have patients with Childress but a completely unexeptable season could result in some difficult decisions for our owner. My biggest concern with Childress is all about Motivation, because with this type of talent there is no reason to be lossing but at the same time we're yet to see this. Its a long season, granted we lost the first game its one that we could have easily of had. IMO a win this weekend can set off a string of confidence that grows throughout the season. With the type of atmosphere Childress has created among our team I find it diffucult to believe that loosing will become a normal activity.
    Wilf is a business man.
    I don't think when he bought a 9-7 team he thought it would take more than 2 years to get to the playoffs.
    He's totally open the pocket book to fill in the positions that were the constant excuses for NOT winning, i.e. DE/QB pressure, WR, DB's.

    I think if the Vikes don't at LEAST make the playoffs, something has to happen.
    In business if you have all the right pieces to be successful then it has to be leadership if you don't succeed.
    Wilf's a smart Business man hence his success and I don't think he'll be making any rash decisions and he's said this first hand. Like I said if its an unexeptable season he could face some tuff decisions, wether you believe that will happen or not is all up to your concous.

    By the way I've been pleased with the pass rush so far, we did and exelent job of taking the pocket away from Rodgers on almost every passing play in the first game together.

    I also think it comes down to injuries, if we loose Hutchison and Kevin Williams on sunday this is gonna have a huge impact, fact is if we go 9-7 or 8-8 with mass injuries its likely we will see coach Childress in 2009-10. So much can happen I think its difficult to say this or that for sure. I think the most important thing for Childress to do is show that his team has improved by taking the next step foward and I think it will happen.
    A rash decision would be canning Chilly the first season when he took a 9-7 team (that was on a shoe string) to 6-10.
    But watching him for 3 years, pumping tons of money into it.
    Canning him would NOT be rash.

    I think most of us agree that Chilly's next step is the playoffs.
    Wilf want/needs a stadium and people are not going to be excited about paying taxes for a marginal team.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  5. #25
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    I like Childress. I like what he has done with this team, and I hope he succeeds. And he's my dad.

    But if for some reason he were canned...








    [size=6pt]Mike Holmgren[/size]
    Lol why do keep saying he's your dad, and I think I saw this in another thread?
    Because it made you laugh out loud. And me too.

  6. #26
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    "gagarr" wrote:
    A rash decision would be canning Chilly the first season when he took a 9-7 team (that was on a shoe string) to 6-10.
    But watching him for 3 years, pumping tons of money into it.
    Canning him would NOT be rash.

    I think most of us agree that Chilly's next step is the playoffs.
    Wilf want/needs a stadium and people are not going to be excited about paying taxes for a marginal team.
    I see your point but Mentally I've moved on from a win that should have been ours, I havn't let this loss shake my expectations nor do I think Ziggy will have a reason to fire Childress after this season. With a Healthy crue there is no reason not to make the playoffs and I agree this is the next step, especailly after nearly making it last year.

  7. #27
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    When you say that Billick "favors the pass over the run", you are just making a description of modern NFL head coaches, and they all favor the pass over the run. Also, I might add that as a Walsh/Holmgren "disciple", Childress "should" also "favor the pass", because the west coast offense is about throwing the ball to running backs and using short passes to control the game (rather than running).

    The vast majority of NFL coaches favor throwing. I think that the idea that "you can only control the clock by running" is B.S. Or do you not think that teams like the Colts "control the clock" ?

    Most NFL teams come out throwing downfield, and only use the running game to solidify the lead in the 3rd quarter. Watch almost any good NFL, and they do that. They come out and attack you vertically. Very few, or no teams will "establish the run" anymore and try to win that way.

    The pass is king in the modern NFL.
    The pass is king only because the rules have continued to make it so.
    i.e. QB and WR's being treated like babies

    But a GOOD coach goes with what he has.
    Billick in MN was pass happy.... who wouldn't be with Moon, Cunningham, Carter, and MOSS.

    But in Baltimore, Billick had Dilfer, Jamal Lewis, and Ray Lewis and Company.
    He wasn't pass happy, he played a good ground game, move the sticks, TOP, field position game.
    Just like the Vikes should be playing NOW.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  8. #28
    MetalMike-LoudVike's Avatar
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,291

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    There is a small window to build a winner I agree. The talentis there to play like those Ravens. Ever since Childress's 1st season as HC and people have been salivating to put his head on a platter and smother it in a condiment of their choice.
    I just get a kick out of the the sky is falling brigade after 1 week, Another 15 have yet to be played.
    I have a feeling no playoffs this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Childress get axed.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

  9. #29
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    After 1 game?


    Throwing in the towel that early we would be the laughing stock of the NFL.

  10. #30
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

    No fucking way.

    He is not the coach I would want to bring in if the current one doesn't pan out. There are much better options out there if it comes to that.


    Let's see. He was an offensive Guru who took over a team with a great defense and spent nearly a decade taking an anemic offense and a kickass defense
    and transforming it into an anemic offense with different talent and a decent defense.

    Where have I seen that before.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Billick to the booth?
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
  2. Get Billick...who's with me?
    By kjdaddy in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 05:35 AM
  3. (Merged) Brian Billick
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
  4. Dilfer still pissed at Billick
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 09:55 AM
  5. Eagles FA's and UFA's.....Does Childress try to bring any in
    By NordicNed in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •