Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    benjamite is offline Training Camp

Can Childress, bring in Billick.

I know I know I know this is extremely early for talk of firing our head coach, but hypothetically speaking, if we blow it this season and get rid of Childress (and hopefully T-jack, or at least bench him), I say we bring in Brian Billick.

What does everyone think? He was our offensive coordinator when we went 15-1 and had one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL in 98. He won a superbowl, has an overall record of 85-67, which is significantly better than Childress and better than Tice's, rationally speaking. Remember,
    two years ago in 2006 he went 13-3. Nevermind last season, you can't blame him totally for the Ravens horrendus season. They had no weapons on offense and were injury riddled the whole season. He would be comfortable in Minnesota and is familiar here, he knows how to get an offense working efficiently, again, he's won a superbowl. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to the NFL with another head coaching job, either. What do you say?
    wamp wamp.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Can Childress, bring in Billick.

I think they should fire the whole coaching staff and any player the blows an assignment after every game.
    That is what free agency is for.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

No... Brian Billick sucks
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Billick has a ring. I would think about him. I also would consider Jim Fassel and Schottenheimer.

To be honest, I don't care who the coach is, if he can do a couple of things:

a. Get Peterson in space (throw the screen, etc.)
    b. Have a focus on winning this Sunday and being competitive (rather than a focus on "building")
    c. Not make weird personnel decisions based on his "system". Just bring in good solid players and then get them into situations where they can play well (rather than: "he is developing in my system, bla bla bla).

Lombardi knew that football was about two things: blocking and tackling. It is not that complex. You have to do some simple things right. I like coaches who don't make things too complicated. The sign of genius is not complexity, but making things simpler.

I like coaches like Bill Cowher who just get along well with the players and they want to win on Sunday.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Can I make an "Official Can-a-Coach Thread," this is getting annoying.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Whatever it takes to win.
    Billick has been there, I can't decide if Chili can get there or not.

Bah, wait the season out a bit and then start to worry.
    Maybe Wilf has him on speed dial already. I'd like Cowher too, and now that we have some weapons...but he's the type of coach that would hate our QB scenario I am sure.

Yes, I pulled that from my ass and I am proud of it because it sounded very neeto.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

I'm totally for bringing Billick in if Chilly doesn't make the playoffs.

Billick in his first HC job took a 6-10 Raven team to 8-8, then 12-4 (SB win) in his 2nd season.

Billick worked with what he had, he didn't totally revamp the team to fit what the offense did in MN, because it couldn't.

Ravens had great D players that could win that side of the ball.
    Billick knew his offense was going to have to be built on a running game NOT the high flying passing game in MN.

The only down side to Billick is I think he gets his players to excell with emotion.
    This is why he had up and down years.
    Emotion can't be sustained for long, especially after an SB.
    Thus, the drop to 7-9 after the SB.

But I think Billick could come in to MN and take the existing team, possibly even with TJ, and make a deep drive into the playoffs, if not the SB, almost right away.
    Just like what Gruden did in Tampa by instilling emotion into a good team assembled by Dungy and energized by Gruden.

Just don't expect Billick to create a dynasty, only get a good shot at an SB.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I agree Webby whatever it takes, get Ziggy hooked to PP.O only to realize everything he ever needed was here, he could then assemble a coaching staff out of the members and we can win the SB in 2009!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Webby" wrote:
    Whatever it takes to win.
    Billick has been there, I can't decide if Chili can get there or not.

Bah, wait the season out a bit and then start to worry.

Maybe Wilf has him on speed dial already. I'd like Cowher too, and now that we have some weapons...but he's the type of coach that would hate our QB scenario I am sure.

Yes, I pulled that from my ass and I am proud of it because it sounded very neeto.
    I'd like Cowher more.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

I think we all know that Chilly will be gone this season if we don't make the playoffs. I cant stand another season without the Vikings in the playoffs!!!
    THAT OLD LADY IS NOT ME..HAHA

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast