Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Can The 2010 Season Get Any Worse?

It can get worse, but we have to see if this will play out like the last season with Jerry Burns, Mike Tice, Dennis Green, or Les Steckel.

Burns and Steckel were fired after the season was over, while Green had his contract bought out during the season.

Zygi Wilf fired Mike Tice just an hour after the last snap of a 9-7 season. The Vikings have already reached that loss total this season.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Minniman wrote:
    It can get worse, but we have to see if this will play out like the last season with Jerry Burns, Mike Tice, Dennis Green, or Les Steckel.

Burns and Steckel were fired after the season was over, while Green had his contract bought out during the season.

Zygi Wilf fired Mike Tice just an hour after the last snap of a 9-7 season. The Vikings have already reached that loss total this season.
    Tices contract ended, he wasnt fired.

I think that Tice could have ended up doing much better than 9-7 and not get extended, seemed that decision was already made by the ownership back then.

Wilfs wanted to go in another direction with all the offield stuff.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Culpepper_4717 wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Apparently, it can!

Herrera May Be Lost For Season.

Honestly, at this moment we can play Tarvaris Jackson out there for all I care. The season is lost anyway.
    Screw TJoke. I want to see what Joe Webb can do.
    The idea that Joe Webb can do anything against first-string NFL defenses is ludicrous.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    The idea that Joe Webb can do anything against first-string NFL defenses is ludicrous.

=Z=
    That, along with the "We want Leslie as the Interim HC" crowd just mystifies me my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    Culpepper_4717 wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Apparently, it can!

Herrera May Be Lost For Season.

Honestly, at this moment we can play Tarvaris Jackson out there for all I care. The season is lost anyway.
    Screw TJoke. I want to see what Joe Webb can do.

=Z=
    not really, after performance of some of the players yesterday then no other team needs to put their first stringers out against us. Least Webb will only be playing against a backup defence .. :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    That, along with the "We want Leslie as the Interim HC" crowd just mystifies me my friend.
    On both topics:

1: On a losing team, the best QB is the one on the bench. Remember how people screamed for Jackson in '05 when Johnson struggled? And every completion was like a sign from God that Tarvaris was going to be the savior of our franchise...

until '06, when he sucked.

Oh sure, a couple of people said, "Don't put him in yet, you'll ruin him"...but no one listened to us.

I'll say it again, if Webb is to EVER have a legitimate shot at being a decent QB, LEAVE HIM ON THE BENCH THIS SEASON. Let the kid develop. This TEAM is dysfunctional right now, this is the WORST possible environment to put him into.

And while I don't see him being our actual long-term solution, I see no reason to trash the kids career to prove that. They did that to Jackson.

2: Putting Frazier in I actually agree with. We lose nothing by doing it, and he gets to pad his resume for his next coaching interview...which should NOT be with us. We need a Cowher/Dungy type of coach...one who will IMMEDIATELY inspire confidence in our team. Frazier doesn't have THAT kind of credibility.

We also need a Cowher/Dungy type so that they can get Wilf to pull his fingers OUT of the mix, and leave it to football guys. Frazier can't demand that, Cowher/Dungy can.

But, in the interim, give Frazier a shot. Let him have something he can point to on his resume that says, "I did this" that isn't tainted by the Chiller. After all, the season is done for us - unless the rest of the NFC suddenly melts down. There is ZERO point in keeping Chiller - who is as good as fired (Or had BETTER be after yesterdays debacle), and no point in NOT giving Frazier a few weeks to show what he can do.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    On both topics:

1: On a losing team, the best QB is the one on the bench. Remember how people screamed for Jackson in '05 when Johnson struggled? And every completion was like a sign from God that Tarvaris was going to be the savior of our franchise...

until '06, when he sucked.

Oh sure, a couple of people said, "Don't put him in yet, you'll ruin him"...but no one listened to us.

I'll say it again, if Webb is to EVER have a legitimate shot at being a decent QB, LEAVE HIM ON THE BENCH THIS SEASON. Let the kid develop. This TEAM is dysfunctional right now, this is the WORST possible environment to put him into.

And while I don't see him being our actual long-term solution, I see no reason to trash the kids career to prove that. They did that to Jackson.

2: Putting Frazier in I actually agree with. We lose nothing by doing it, and he gets to pad his resume for his next coaching interview...which should NOT be with us. We need a Cowher/Dungy type of coach...one who will IMMEDIATELY inspire confidence in our team. Frazier doesn't have THAT kind of credibility.

We also need a Cowher/Dungy type so that they can get Wilf to pull his fingers OUT of the mix, and leave it to football guys. Frazier can't demand that, Cowher/Dungy can.

But, in the interim, give Frazier a shot. Let him have something he can point to on his resume that says, "I did this" that isn't tainted by the Chiller. After all, the season is done for us - unless the rest of the NFC suddenly melts down. There is ZERO point in keeping Chiller - who is as good as fired (Or had BETTER be after yesterdays debacle), and no point in NOT giving Frazier a few weeks to show what he can do.

Caine
    So your logic this week is, ....."Lets loose with Leslie so we can get rid of him"?

WOW.

I think the move is much like they've done in Cleveland. Bring in a Holmgren/Tuna kindof guy. Let him hire his staff, especially a GM.

Then the Chiller could go back to being just HC, focusing his efforts on improving the players the FO pukes give him.

Clearly, he can't do both. Very few can.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    On the Cowher/Gruden (not Dungy - he'll never coach again, of that I feel certain) thing, Peter King says this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/21/monday-morning-qb-week-11/index.html?eref=sihp

You're an owner, and you want to make a coaching change for 2011. Here's what you're thinking about as this disappointing (presumably) season winds down:

1. There's a very good chance the new coach won't have access to the players beginning in March, when a potential lockout would happen. He may not have access to the players until a new labor deal is signed, which seems more and more like it won't happen until at least the summer. And that's being optimistic.

2. The new coach won't be able to work with his new staff very much either, because most teams will put assistant coaches on varying part-time contracts. The new coaches won't be in the building much, if at all, during a work stoppage.

3. The big-name coaches -- Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden -- will be in play. But will you want to lock them in at a big number for 2011 if you're not sure when or if you'll be playing football?

"What all that means,' one head coach not on the hot seat told me Friday, "is an advantage for the in-house candidate unlike there's ever been. Financially and functionally, the top coordinator makes sense more than it ever has.'
    I am with you in that I don't think Frazier is the answer. But I would like to see a "try-out" at this point of him (and why no one thinks Bevell is an option is mind-boggling to me).

The uncertainty of the 2011 season, however, is a big huge freaking deal and should not be ignored in this discussion.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

The 1970 Marshall team and 2008 Lions come to mind.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

It can always be worse. You could be a Packer fan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast