cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Camp Notes: Tuesday morning

Tuesday morning, the most physical yet

Two things stood out for me today. The first is how much new stuff keeps being installed in the offense, and second how nasty this defense is.

The offense over the last four or five days has really turned up the heat in terms of homework and classroom stuff. Everyday they come out and I'm seeing minimum five new sets and personnel packages, as well as a whole bunch of new plays. Having a QB like Brad Johnson is never more important than right now.

"It seems like we've had install everyday," said Johnson. "So you're adding 7 or 8 runs, 25 passes a day. Different formations, different shifts, different looks, different motions, different personnel groupings. So you're always kind of on the go."

"What you learned yesterday you kind of have to put in your back pocket and four or five days from now it might rehash itself and come up again. So everyday it's a lot that's being thrown at you, and so guys' attention span has gotta be pretty tight, espcially in the meetings and being able to retain from day to day."

One guy who gets overlooked in terms of being in the right place and knowing the offense is WR Koren Robinson. Robinson was in the West Coast offense under Mike Holmgren in Seattle, and having him as the #1 guy can only help the offense.

On the other side of the ball, the defense put on a clinic today. It was the first time the starting front four practiced all together with the return of Kevin Williams, and they must have been excited to see one another because they got after it. Constant pressure was the theme as the 1st team defense completely shut down the offense on several occasions.

In one particularly inpressive stretch, the D-line sacked J.T. O'Sullivan and Mike McMahon on three consecutive downs. A lot is being written about just how good the offensive line should be, but I think there needs to be more attention given to the D-line. Sure they have health concerns up front, but when the four of them are together it is downright scary for the offense.

-The single most impressive guy at practice today had to be E.J. Henderson. He filled the holes and was blowing guys up left and right.

"He's having a great camp," said Antoine Winfield. "He's making a lot of plays for us, real aggressive. You just watch on film and he looks like a man among boys. He's hitting the fullback, getting in the backfield. Just making a lot of plays for us."

Right now Henderson is taking the necessary steps to keep himself in front of rookie Chad Greenway at weak side LB.

-Ryan Cook was out early today working on his footwork with the O-line coaches. While he hasn't been moved full time to tackle, the team is interested in exploiting his ability to play several postions.

"We felt like Ryan had position flexibility," said coach Childress. "You can say that you're going to train a guy to be a center and make that guy a center, it's another thing to have done it for a long time."

"He's big enough, he has a long enough reach and good enough feet to play tackle and we wanted to see what he can do. Is it natural for him? No. Has he gotten better every rep he's taken? Yeah, he has. There may be a point that we try him at left tackle. I just wanna know what he can do, how far can we push the envelope with him."

-CB Devonte Edwards was back on the field today after aggrivating his groin yesterday.

-The bulk of today's work on offense centered on short yardage and saw the offense show a lot of different looks. The key to it all is the offensive line influencing the defense into seeing one thing and having the offense do another.

There are so many little details involved it would be hard for me to get into everything I see. But as a tip if you plan on being at camp, watch the weak side of the offensive line, and watch how they try to influence the back side of the defense. There is a lot of false keys being given by that side of the line, and with the number of play action plays in short yardage it's imperative that they sell those things.

-Mewelde Moore is still struggling in pass protection and has to be constantly reminded where his eyes are and what he's looking for. I think he will get it, but his problems there make the gap between him and Chester Taylor just that much more wide.

-As for Taylor, he had a very strong practice today making several good runs with decisive cut backs. His vision seems good and he's shown better explosion than I expected to see.

-Tarvaris Jackson is going to break someone's hand before it's all said and done. His velocity is flat out impressive and he continues to progress as a QB.

"You try to overload those guys (QBs), he (Jackson) hasn't been able to be overloaded," said coach Childress. "He's a guy that's steely-eyed, that if you tell him one thing, one time, one tip, what I'm talking about, giving him little nuances. He can put it into play the next time that play gets run. That's what I'm seeing from him. I'm not seeing him overloaded."

-TE Richard Angulo and DE Jayme Mitchell played the fued again today, this time it was little more interesting. The two locked up for a minute or two and even took some shots at one another before it was broken up. I never understood why guys hit each other while wearing helmets.

-Marcus Robinson had a strong practice today, catching a long pass from J.T. O'Sullivan over CB Tony Beckham and CB Dustin Fox. It was a terrible, late decision from O'Sullivan, but Robinson bailed him out.

-Quick to not make the same mistake twice, Jason Carter was out bright and early for kick return work. He was late yesterday and heard it from the coaches.

-Matt Birk seems to be rounding into form, getting into it with rookie DE Ray Edwards. The two had a little shoving match and talked a little smack to one another. Nice to see the youngster go at a veteran like Birk, and nice to see Birk with that kind of tenacity this early in the pre-season.

-E.J. Henderson is stealing the headlines, but quietly Dontarrious Thomas is having a nice camp. Today he picked off Brad Johnson in the end zone after correctly diagnosing a play action pass.

-It wasn't all defense however, one pitch to FB Tony Richardson went for six points with big Steve Hutchinson leading the way. Hutch engulfed the defenders and looks great in space.

-Today was the first time the run game has looked better than the passing game. Not sure what the difference was, but it was nice to see the O-line step up and play well. They've been a little handcuffed not being able to cut block or do too much helping on already blocked players.

-I've been talking up the 2nd string O-line, but today they had it handed to them. Going up against the #1 defense in full contact work, they just couldn't handle the rush with any consistency and routinely found themselves beat.

I will again be skipping the special teams workout, so that's all for today. Be sure to check in tomorrow and listen to P.A. and Dubay live from right here in Mankato.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Camp Notes: Tuesday morning

On the other side of the ball, the defense put on a clinic today. It was the first time the starting front four practiced all together with the return of Kevin Williams, and they must have been excited to see one another because they got after it. Constant pressure was the theme as the 1st team defense completely shut down the offense on several occasions.

In one particularly inpressive stretch, the D-line sacked J.T. O'Sullivan and Mike McMahon on three consecutive downs. A lot is being written about just how good the offensive line should be, but I think there needs to be more attention given to the D-line. Sure they have health concerns up front, but when the four of them are together it is downright scary for the offense.
    In light of all the talk of the D-line, this quote suggest that they are excelling out there.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Speaking of Dovonte Edwards, does anyone know what happened to Laroni Gallishaw?? He was doing great in camp last year and made the team, and then got hurt and was put on the IR.

He isn't on the Vikings camp roster, and I couldn't find anything on Google. Did he get cut?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

ranasrule is offline Rookie

man T-Jackson seemd to have been nothin but awesome in camp.....i think we have our QB of the future....

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Good to hear that the D Line is together again & blowing people up. Real impressive & I like how they are referred as "Scary"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Very excited to hear how dominant our D-line is when everyone's in place. Our defence will not work if those four (Udeze, Phat Pat, Kevin Williams and James) can't get the pressure on the QB.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ranasrule" wrote:
    man T-Jackson seemd to have been nothin but awesome in camp.....i think we have our QB of the future....

I was watching the Huddle Up show on FSN from yesterday and they were showing some highlights from the KC scrimmage and showed a pass from T-Jack and he really throws a nice pass it reminded me of Daunte's passes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Good read. It's nice to hear of our d-line talked about with that kind of respect.
    -Sno

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Speaking of Dovonte Edwards, does anyone know what happened to Laroni Gallishaw?? He was doing great in camp last year and made the team, and then got hurt and was put on the IR.

He isn't on the Vikings camp roster, and I couldn't find anything on Google. Did he get cut?
    Gallishaw was released on may 18th. The same day we traded Baskett for McMullen.

Roster Moves

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"ranasrule" wrote:

Also, it looks like O'Sullivan is most likely on his way out of Minny.. It said O'Sullivan made a bad last second decision, but M-Rob bailed him out.. He makes to many more bad decisions, especially with the way T-Jack is prgressing, he is history..