Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Camp Battles: Wide Receiver

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Finally, a lil fight to make the roster at WR!? I like Webb as the multi-backup/X-factor, but I don't see us using him much as that X guy, so it seems his chances are slim unless he really shows something as a returner. Burton, bah, had some chances. Childs, sorry brother, maybe take a year of PUP/IR and see how it heals? That leaves Thielen who would not only be a nice local story, but seems to have good hands having caught 74 balls for over 1100 yards last fall, and good size at 6'3" and 200 lbs.

Maybe, hopefully, Webb can make it as our no.1 return man, and Thielen sneaks on as the 5th WR and STer...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The way I see it we are pretty much set at WR anyway. You have 5 OL, Ponder/Cassel at QB, Peterson at RB. Then you have Rudolph at TE and either Felton at FB or Carlson at the other TE and that leaves 2 spots. One will be Jennings and the other could be Simpson or Wright and on the rare occasion they pull the FB or 2nd TE then you can have both Simpson and Wright. The other spots are just for reserves and unless there is an injury they have little chance at being relevant.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The way I see it we are pretty much set at WR anyway. You have 5 OL, Ponder/Cassel at QB, Peterson at RB. Then you have Rudolph at TE and either Felton at FB or Carlson at the other TE and that leaves 2 spots. One will be Jennings and the other could be Simpson or Wright and on the rare occasion they pull the FB or 2nd TE then you can have both Simpson and Wright. The other spots are just for reserves and unless there is an injury they have little chance at being relevant.
    I've been getting a sneaky feeling that we will keep 6 WR's this year. There was a recent article out there were the WR coach made some comments mostly about Webb and how he will be graded....

Scout.com: WR coach Stewart has interesting season ahead

I think we might wind up with the following:

X - Simpson/Wright/Patterson/Childs
    Y - Wright/Jennings/Patterson/Childs
    Z - Jennings/Patterson/Childs

Put Webb/Burton/Thielen/Summers behind Childs with Webb having the leg up.

Rationale for putting Childs on there is I think it would be a big mistake to try to get him onto the PS if he is as healthy as everything leans towards this year. If that is true, I can't wait to see a 3 WR set of Childs, Wright, Patterson on the field at the same time.

If we don't keep six and if Childs is going to be healthy, watch to see Simpson let lose. Like it or not, the X isn't that imporant in our scheme. Any idiot that fast can run a 8 or 9 route.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    We might keep sox but my comment was merely that the way we run the offense dictates that we don't need 4-5 top quality WR's due to the way we use the TE and FB packages to a higher degree than more pass oriented teams do. I would imagine we would have as many spots dedicated to the position as we have in the past. I just don't think they are going to have the roster that deep and will have more return/ST types filling those spots and they will rarely see the field on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    We might keep sox but my comment was merely that the way we run the offense dictates that we don't need 4-5 top quality WR's due to the way we use the TE and FB packages to a higher degree than more pass oriented teams do. I would imagine we would have as many spots dedicated to the position as we have in the past. I just don't think they are going to have the roster that deep and will have more return/ST types filling those spots and they will rarely see the field on offense.
    I got what you meant, I just went down another tangent off of what you said. Keep the discussion going attempt if you will.

You know how I roll.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I don't see us keeping Childs on the roster. Maybe the practice squad. He's not ready to play & has a history of injuries that has kept him from playing full seasons in the NFL & college. He's already missed more games in the NFL than Harvin did in 4 years & we all know how fans felt about him missing 9 games.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't see us keeping Childs on the roster. Maybe the practice squad. He's not ready to play & has a history of injuries that has kept him from playing full seasons in the NFL & college. He's already missed more games in the NFL than Harvin did in 4 years & we all know how fans felt about him missing 9 games.
    Agreed, I put him at around 20-30% of making the team. Even if healthy he still has to show more than a couple training camp moments. He is strictly an enigma at this point with a lot of hope and faith from fans that he will be something special. He might be, but he hasn't shown anything real at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I can see your side of that, however, there sure have been alot of reports out there that seem to say that he would/could be ready either for camp or early in the season.

If he is ready come week 4 and on the PS, what then?

If someone who needs a WR knows he will be ready say week 4? Do we risk trying to get him on the PS or losing him to that team that is willing to carry him on the 53 man roster till week 4?

Again, you make sense, but I'm not sure we don't go with 6 and he makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I can see your side of that, however, there sure have been alot of reports out there that seem to say that he would/could be ready either for camp or early in the season.

If he is ready come week 4 and on the PS, what then?

If someone who needs a WR knows he will be ready say week 4? Do we risk trying to get him on the PS or losing him to that team that is willing to carry him on the 53 man roster till week 4?

Again, you make sense, but I'm not sure we don't go with 6 and he makes it.
    If he is picked off our practice squad he has to be on that teams 53 man roster for 3 weeks. Childs is no sure thing. He's injured his patellas in both 2010 & 2012 & has only had 1 spectacular catch that people talk about during training camp to his credit. That's a really high risk venture for a team to put on a player who only had 16 receptions, 192 yards & 0 TD's during his 2011 season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast