Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Camp Battles: Nose Tackle

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Evans is inconsistent because he sucks. Well, most of the time he sucks. I'd rather they bring in a rookie with upside that will still play inconsistently and see if you can get the upside out of him instead of wasting a spot on a guy who will always be inconsistent.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

Then why keep Guion? He sucks more and costs more. The article captured my thoughts on these two mediocre DT's. the whole article.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Then why keep Guion? He sucks more and costs more. The article captured my thoughts on these two mediocre DT's. the whole article.
    My issue isn't with Guions play, its with the coaches insistence on trying to fit him in that role when he is clearly not suited for it.

Almost as dumb as when they kept trying to make Cook a RT when he clearly wasn't ever gonna be a worth while RT.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

So who do you think should be playing nose? Seems to me with the current roster Evans is the best option. If Floyd comes on and you release KW, then maybe Guion could be a decent rotation guy.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro;1143202[B
    ]Evans is inconsistent because he sucks. Well, most of the time he sucks[/B]. I'd rather they bring in a rookie with upside that will still play inconsistently and see if you can get the upside out of him instead of wasting a spot on a guy who will always be inconsistent.
    If you feel he sucks most of the time, wouldn't that count as consistent?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If you feel he sucks most of the time, wouldn't that count as consistent?
    LOL, well played old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    So who do you think should be playing nose? Seems to me with the current roster Evans is the best option. If Floyd comes on and you release KW, then maybe Guion could be a decent rotation guy.
    What I would do if I was the staff........

RDE JA\Griff\Reed
    3 Tech - Guion\Ballard\Shariff
    1 Tech - K-dubb\Baker or Dawkins\Shariff
    LDE Rob\Griff\Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    What I would do if I was the staff........

RDE JA\Griff\Reed
    3 Tech - Guion\Ballard\Shariff
    1 Tech - K-dubb\Baker or Dawkins\Shariff
    LDE Rob\Griff\Johnson
    Seems to me that you have to use our most proven guy on the roster that has shown to be the most natural nose tackle of the group. If one of they young guys come on and displace him great, but if you look at 2012 between Guion and Evans who played the majority of snaps at nose, here is what you get:

From PFF:

Fred Evans vs. Letroy Guion

In a recent piece by Tom Pelissero for 1500ESPN.com it came out that the coaches keep telling Leslie Frazier that Evans deserves an opportunity to compete for the starting nose tackle role. It’s a question we’ve asked at PFF many times: why is Evans behind the far less productive Guion? In 2010 Guion did a decent enough job but was overtaken in 2011 and then, last year, Evans left him trailing by a large margin. With broadly equivalent Pass Rushing Productivity ratings, Evans work in the run game was superb; we graded him at a +14.7 including the playoffs against Guion’s unimpressive -9.4. His display in the Wild Card game against the Packers was particularly good — in 25 snaps he managed five tackles, all of them stops and rated a gaudy +5.9.
    Evans is the closest thing we have to a warpig and he has been improving each year. Not sure why you wouldn't keep the only proven nose tackle on the roster.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Fred Evans is not great, but he is a two gap player on a team full of 3 technique tackles. The Vikings would have done well to look for an upgrade or give Evans more plays to show if he can handle the position full time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast