Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 67 of 67
  1. #61
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    triedandtruevikesfan wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    The artificial crowd noise being pumped in was louder than the crowd around me, lol.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to pump in artificial crowd noise.

    Anyone else notice how they fucked up the new intro? The sound was late starting AND it was too quiet.

    =Z=
    They are not allowed, and they don't. IN fact, before this year, teams weren't even allowed to display messages like "Let's make some Noise", and any music had to stop when the play clock started.

    (NodakPaul patiently waits for someone to challenge him on this and claim that they DO pump in noise so he can educate them on the history and actual facts behind this particular rumor)
    I'll bite, please educate me Paul.
    I knew someone would.

    In 1998 several teams complained about the volume of the music being pumped into the dome while the play clock wsa stopped. Back then, there was no limit to the volume, but all public address systems had to be turned off when the play clock was running. The Vikings were playing music and horns at a very loud volume, and when the clock started it turned off, but the fans would keep on going. There was a rule at the time that specifically said that teams were not allowed to entice fans to be excessively loud. The Packers made a complaint to the NFL regarding the Vikings use of the PA system to get the fans fired up.

    The Vikings were using the PA system to encourage crowd noise, and somehow this was misconstrued as the Vikings pumping artificial crowd noise through the PA system. (The Packers, FYI, never alleged this)

    Every few years this rumor gets brought up again. Almsot every dome team has been accused of it at one time or another. In 06 or 07, during a Colts/Patriots game, the CBS broadcast had a problem with their audio feed from the stadium floor, and it sounded to the broadcast audience like the crowd noise "skipped" and started over again. This fueled the fire for the conspiracy theorists. CBS later admitted that they were having audio problems, and nobody in the stadium heard the "skip", but like most good conspiracy nuts, they didn't let facts get in the way of their beliefs.

    This year the rules were changed slightly. For the first time, teams are allowed to encourage crowd noise. You may have noticed the "NOISE" and "Make some Noise!" screens at MOA field yesterday. Teams can use score boards to to encourage fan noise until there is 15 seconds left on the play clock. Before, there couldn't encourage it in any way, shape, or form, much less pump in artificial noise through the speakers.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #62
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    Thanks for the history lesson, Paul. I'd like to add a couple of things as well.

    I'm not sure exactly when things changed, but long ago, it used to be OK to encourage noise. Somewhere in the nineties, I think, that was regulated as you have explained, but prior to that, I can remember seeing scoreboard messages when watching games. I am 100% certain that I saw them often when I traveled to KC for a few games in the late eighties. That place is insanely loud, for an outdoor venue.

    Also... the "pumped in crowd noise" theory was supported in the minds of some folks because teams did and do use this tactic during practices, to get their guys used to dealing with the noise. Some people just had to extend this and assume it was done during games as well, which is patently false.

    My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

  3. #63
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    NodakPaul wrote:
    triedandtruevikesfan wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    The artificial crowd noise being pumped in was louder than the crowd around me, lol.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to pump in artificial crowd noise.

    Anyone else notice how they fucked up the new intro? The sound was late starting AND it was too quiet.

    =Z=
    They are not allowed, and they don't. IN fact, before this year, teams weren't even allowed to display messages like "Let's make some Noise", and any music had to stop when the play clock started.

    (NodakPaul patiently waits for someone to challenge him on this and claim that they DO pump in noise so he can educate them on the history and actual facts behind this particular rumor)
    I'll bite, please educate me Paul.
    I knew someone would.
    Can you please explain the loud crowd noise coming directly out of the speaker in front/above me? This happened 2 years ago. I couldn't tell where all the applause and cheering was coming from since everybody within a stones throw of me was sitting on their dead asses.

    The only thing I can think of is if the sound from the rest of the stadium was echoing off the roof and the idea that it was coming from the speaker was an illusion. That doesn't explain the fact however that I couldn't see one person cheering and yet it sounded like moderate applause/cheering.

  4. #64
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    triedandtruevikesfan wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    The artificial crowd noise being pumped in was louder than the crowd around me, lol.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to pump in artificial crowd noise.

    Anyone else notice how they fucked up the new intro? The sound was late starting AND it was too quiet.

    =Z=
    They are not allowed, and they don't. IN fact, before this year, teams weren't even allowed to display messages like "Let's make some Noise", and any music had to stop when the play clock started.

    (NodakPaul patiently waits for someone to challenge him on this and claim that they DO pump in noise so he can educate them on the history and actual facts behind this particular rumor)
    I'll bite, please educate me Paul.
    I knew someone would.
    Can you please explain the loud crowd noise coming directly out of the speaker in front/above me? This happened 2 years ago. I couldn't tell where all the applause and cheering was coming from since everybody within a stones throw of me was sitting on their dead asses.

    The only thing I can think of is if the sound from the rest of the stadium was echoing off the roof and the idea that it was coming from the speaker was an illusion. That doesn't explain the fact however that I couldn't see one person cheering and yet it sounded like moderate applause/cheering.
    well, that's part of what makes Domes, specifically the Metrodome so great for crowd noise. Noise from across the stadium can reverberate off the roof and seem to come from above. Its how the field gets so loud too, with all the sound being funneled down to the middle.

  5. #65
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    BloodyHorns82 wrote:Can you please explain the loud crowd noise coming directly out of the speaker in front/above me? This happened 2 years ago. I couldn't tell where all the applause and cheering was coming from since everybody within a stones throw of me was sitting on their dead asses.[/quote]

    Crowd noise, within & outside a stones through from you, is picked up on devices known as microphones.

    Then thru the magic of wires & electronics, that noise is simultaneausly played back thru things called speakers.

    :cheer:

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #66
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    well, that's part of what makes Domes, specifically the Metrodome so great for crowd noise. Noise from across the stadium can reverberate off the roof and seem to come from above. Its how the field gets so loud too, with all the sound being funneled down to the middle.
    That's so true. Teflon or whatever that roof is made of, it echoes the sound right back down on the field.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #67
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Calling the Fans Out!

    singersp wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:Can you please explain the loud crowd noise coming directly out of the speaker in front/above me? This happened 2 years ago. I couldn't tell where all the applause and cheering was coming from since everybody within a stones throw of me was sitting on their dead asses.
    Crowd noise, within & outside a stones through from you, is picked up on devices known as microphones.

    Then thru the magic of wires & electronics, that noise is simultaneausly played back thru things called speakers.

    :cheer:[/quote]

    That would be against the NFL rules.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. tomlin is calling out vikes fans loud mouths
    By spikecyrus in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2006, 09:36 AM
  2. calling ALL Vikes fans
    By whiteviking24 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 12:05 PM
  3. Calling all crunk fans!
    By V4L in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 07:02 AM
  4. ok lets try this with out name calling
    By amth in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 07:02 AM
  5. 49ers fans calling us out
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 01:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •