Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Caine's Post Game Thoughts and Rant

As I stated earlier, if we are going to win big games, we need our Offense to step up.
    They didn't today, and we let the Bears walk out with OUR 3-0 record.

Too many times, the Vikings Offense stalled in the short end of the field.
    Once on the 13, on the 18, and on the 23.
    All three resulted in FGs.
    Had just ONE of them been a TD, the game would have gone in another direction.

We saw this against the Panthers and again with the Bears, our Offense cannot seem to maintain drives, much less put the finishing touches on them.
    And, until they do, Minnesota will not be a team to be feared.

The play-calling isn't helping matters any.
    Too often I see us pass short or run on long yard situations.
    3-8 and we pass for 4 or run for 5, etc.
    We cannot continue doing that.
    The WORST call of the game was the 4th and 2...when not run there?
    There's over a minute left on the clock, we have the Bears "D" on their heels, and we throw a timing pass?!?!?!?
    When this season has Brad and ANY of our receivers exhibited anything remotely looking like a connection where you would put your faith ina
    TIMING route with the game on the line?
    Did Childress think that NOW would be the time?

Or, if your going to pass, where is Wiggins, or Taylor across the middle, or any number of short, high percentage passes that are supposedly our "bread and butter"?
    Sure, teh Defense shouldn't expect that kind of play in that situation, but did the Bears look fooled by it?
    Not when Childress ALWAYS seems to go with the, "Why in the hell would you call that NOW?" plays.

Sure, we can all feel good about our Defense.
    Something we haven't been able to do for quite some time.
    But when our Defense scores our ONLY touchdown, I have to believe that there is something seriously wrong in Minnesota.

And this isn't the first time.
    We did it against Carolina too.
    At least in Washington we put it in the endzone.

We have two VERY good teams comming up in the next 5 weeks - Seattle and New England.
    If our Offense cannot find a way to put points on the board other than in groups of 3, we may very well find ourselves with the best Defensive unit NOT playing in the play-offs.

Chiacgo walks away with the win...and they should feel pretty good about themselves.
    But, they walk away now knowing what we've been saying all week.
    Their soft schedule early has given them an overinflated sense of how good they are, on both sides of the ball.
    Unfortunately for us, it also shows us what I've been saying for several weeks now, if our Offense doesn't start showing up, we may be in for a long season of being on the short side of a lot of contests.

We're now 2-1 with a 3 point difference between what we've scored and what we've allowed.
    Our Defense is stingy...our Offense is simply lame.
    Someone has to step it up...and soon.

Caine

Gift is offline Coordinator

Re: Caine's Post Game Thoughts and Rant

I agree with you, I thought some of the play calling was odd to say the least.
    THe O needs to get it going, the D cant win it every game.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Caine,

I think our offense is trying to be TOO unpredicatable.

I don't think we have found the one thing that we do well.
    We have the HUGE O LINE that can't be counted on to come up with the short yardage run.
    Not that they have been asked to do that alot.
    But, my point is the offense doens't have a bread and butter play.
    We have had issue running.
    It isn't like the other teams are saying "please don't run on us. You are going to grind us down."

JMO

Snow

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

What we did today was not running enough.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I think we were passing almost at 2/3 of the plays

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:

I haven't looked it up yet, but I think we were passing almost at 2/3 of the plays
    Hmm. Correcting my self.

24 runs - 31 pass attempts

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Hmm. Correcting my self.

24 runs - 31 pass attempts
    It was more unbalanced around half time.
    We tried to run off some time in the second half by running, balanced it out more.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I noticed the unfinishing drives also.

Every opening drive we dominate, and it results in a FG, every week.

Maybe we'll learn to finish against the Bills.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I was as pissed off as you can get at todays game.. When we have a 16-12 advantage and we are driving down field against the Chicago Bears at home, we have to get the win..

BJ fumbles the ball, and Chicago scores their only TD of the game.. I will say that our defense played good, but they let them score when they should have been tightening up.. I am very pissed off at the outcome of the game..

We should have won this game, and now it could be a whole different season for the Vikings.. If we win this game, we win our first game against a division team.. Now the Bears have 3 wins and all are in our division..

It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..

Rant off...............

sweetness34 is offline Rookie

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I was as pissed off as you can get at todays game.. When we have a 16-12 advantage and we are driving down field against the Chicago Bears at home, we have to get the win..

BJ fumbles the ball, and Chicago scores their only TD of the game.. I will say that our defense played good, but they let them score when they should have been tightening up.. I am very pissed off at the outcome of the game..

We should have won this game, and now it could be a whole different season for the Vikings.. If we win this game, we win our first game against a division team.. Now the Bears have 3 wins and all are in our division..

It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..

Rant off...............
    The only difference in our schedules are these:

vikes - skins and panthers
    bears - giants and bucs

giants are better than the skins and the panthers are better than the bucs. So i'd have to say the vikes have that same easy schedule

Deronn is offline Starter

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Rant off...............
    I don't think this does anything to the division race - but
    we must beat them in Dec. We play the same schedule they do - and we should be able to put away Green Bay and Detroit just like they did. The only difference in our schedules are that we played Washington and Carolina (both wins for us) and they play the Giants (at home) and Tampa Bay.

Today proved they are not a better team than us (they won, but it was an very evenly matched game.) We've already been tested and came out with 2 wins, and I think we will keep pace with them the rest of the year. The teams they beat, we should be able to beat. They will NEED to beat both the Giants and us to end up with a better record. They will by no means run away with the division. It will be a battle all season long.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast