Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

C-Pep On The New D

Sid Hartman, Star Trib - Good Read

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said that in the team's recent minicamps, he could see major improvement in the team's defense.

The addition of Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper in the secondary and the rush provided by new defensive lineman Pat Williams, all signed as free agents, has made a big difference.

"They're very quick, they're very fast and they are guys who really want to make big plays," Culpepper said.

Culpepper already had a lot of respect for Antoine Winfield, the highly rated cornerback who joined the team a year ago. And now with Smoot on the other side, Culpepper can see a difference.

"They're two lock-down corners. Not many teams have two lock-down corners like that," Culpepper said. "I have had trouble throwing against them. I've got to be on point. It makes me step my game up, having guys like that out there covering our receivers. I've got to put the ball right where it's supposed to be, and I can't have many errors.

"It's going to make me better because I've got to be that much better to complete balls against those two guys."

Culpepper led the NFL with 4,717 passing yards and a .692 completion percentage last season and had an NFC-high 110.9 passer rating. But his favorite target, Randy Moss, was traded to Oakland. In five seasons, they combined for 53 touchdown passes.

"I'm not going to say it's different because Randy's not here," Culpepper said. "If Randy was here, he's obviously a great player, but he's not here, so we've got to deal with that and be the best team we can be.

"But that's a great opportunity for other guys to step up and make a lot of plays. And I got to tell you that right now -- we're going to be a great team."

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Re: C-Pep On The New D

it's gonna be hard to imagine what it's like to have a good defence again. im not sure that its really set in . just can't wait!!

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    it's gonna be hard to imagine what it's like to have a good defence again. im not sure that its really set in . just can't wait!!

the thing that will be good to see is the fact that we have a good defense and a good offense when was the last time that happened?
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Actually in 1998 the D wasn't that bad. If you look at end of year stats they were but when you look at the first 2 1/2 qtrs vs. the ladder they had pretty good stats. The thing that was happening is they were so far up on teams that all teams did was pass and go to hurry ups. They lost alot of players after that season with the salary cap problems.

gpless05 is offline Starter

Ya that was back when we had jimmy hitchcock and company. I Think that this defense is going to dangerous and explosive. You could prolly make a fight that our Defense is the best out there
    [img]http//i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/SkolPepper11/thefraycopy.jpg[/img]

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

The talent level is good lets just hope that they gel together fast and start the season playing great.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

smoot2boot is offline Rookie

The defense has a lot of potential but until the season starts thtats all it is potential. Lets hope they live up to it.
    God, I hate you Joe Buck!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I cant wait to see us play this year.. i think we might start off a little slow but still not play bad.. and pick it up after about 3 games and have a dominent D

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

We have a formula for a really kick butt D. Lets hope that it does not backfire on us! I think we are going to like what we see! (SB rings) :wink:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pep KNOWS that he now has the defense to compliment his offense...and that he won't have to score so much at the end of the game to win...the defense will make whatever lead the offense gets stand up!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast