Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: C. J . wants out of Cincy?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=39040.msg660507#msg660507 date=1193161756]
    I only read the first and last pages of this thread.

Did anyone mention that the OL wouldn't give Chad enough time to run his routes before the QB was sacked or flushed out of the pocket?

Probably not.
    Almost everyone on here wants only to lay blame in one place instead of spreading it around to all positions that deserve it.

;D
    And the only fault you can find with the vikes is the Oline...
    Negative my friend.
    I blame alot of people for the ineptitude of our Offense.

My only contention is that most of the problems would be solved in a very short time if the OL would/could give the kid and our WR's a bit more time.

It appears TJ has problems with pre-snap reads.
    Because of this he can't find the WR's as quick as I would like.

It also appears that our WR's are getting open on time because (speculation on my part) they don't get off the line cleanly enough.
    This also confuses the kid a bit.

It appears that our stud RB has issues with blitz pickups.
    That is to be expected IMHO.

How do you fix that quickly? (Band aid solution)

a.
    Keep more blockers in to allow for better protection and more time to make the reads and for the WR's to get into thier routes.

b.
    Have the QB hold the ball longer, take 5 or 7 step drops.
    c.
    Put a more experienced back in to block in obvious passing downs.
    d. Roll the QB out of the pocket and have him make throws on the run.
    e. Don't pass.
    Just run.

What are the trickle down effects?

a. More blockers equal less recievers running patterns.
    b. Less recievers running patterns means more pass rushers which equates to shorter time to make decisions and get rid of the ball.
    c.
    Less recievers means DB's can double up on recievers or become blitzers.
    d.
    QB throwing while on the move equates to not very accurate throws because of poor mechanics.
    e.
    That makes us one dimensional and eventually the D will just load it up enough or start Zone Blitzing all the time and stop the run and the pass as well.

How do we fix it long term solution?

Obvious answer is to either change personnel or scheme.
    I am not sure we can do either at this point.

I think we need to work with Birk on his Line calls (Pre-snap) to ensure he is making the right adjustments and our OL know what is expected of them.

That will help with getting our front 5 plus a back or a TE can stop the rush with a little more consistency allowing for the lattitude of breaking down thier coverage by sending out multiple recieves (2 or 3 WR's or 2 WR/1 TE or 2 WR/2 TE's etc).

By the way, I think that would also let us be a little more flexible with play calling and would help keep the D on thier heels, in a react mode, vice a dictate mode like you saw for the Dallas (and GB game for that matter) game.

Additionally, this would also allow more for the Wr's to get into thier patterns as well as allowing more time for the QB to make multiple reads gives us the lattitude of breaking thier coverage down as well.

Long story short, I am not just blaming the OL.
    I am just saying that if we can address it then we can start fixing the other issues that we have in the passing game.
    Marr,

Some day I am going to have to expand your horizons beyond the KAWCO and send you the Gibbs Bible to study for a bit.

Don't you remember the Two TE sets, Split Wr's and guys like Riggins lined up deep behind the Hogs? They had one of the most prolific offenses in the league by running the same offense you are saying we need to run to just survive.

McKinney,Hutch,Birk,Harerra and the rest of the line could be outstanding hogs running the counter plays, Birk is outstanding at pulling and i believe Hutch and Cook could also excel at it. That would help us on Cook's side because the defenders would not know who was going to be hitting them so they can't put their strongest guy on our weakest lineman and the counters would be perfect for busting holes for AP and possibly even more so for CT.

The TE's would be able to help in the power blocking scheme and would keep the linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage, which would open up more area for Rice and either Twill or Wade to run their routes and because TJ would have the protection and would be taking deeper drops, they would have an easier time running their routes and instead of TJ having to make pinpoint accurate throws into tight coverage he could instead throw to and open area and let the WR go get it.

To me this is the way to win with this team. And it could be very entertaining and very productive compared to the frustration we are going to go through until we have the type of talent to fit what the current scheme calls for.

Power football baby. Love it!!! ;D
    Very nice post.

A little something about me.

I not only love the Vikes but I love this game.
    I played High School ball only because we were pretty limited with respect to who could play.
    (Very small town).
    Never good enough to move up in the football world.

I settled on that and about 17 years old or so, decided the only way to stay in the game was to coach at the High School level.
    To do that I decided to become a History Teacher and Football coach.

;D
    Settled for serving my country for 22 years and working in the Telecom arena as a result of funding issues with my father and college.
    ;D

I still consider myself a student of the game and have studied backgrounds, thoughts, approaches that several coaches have taken to coaching thier teams and Gibbs is one of them with the late great Joe Walsh as the creame of the crop.

Long story short, I am very familiar with the concept of power ball and how to use the formations/personnel I mentioned in my post.
    It would be awesome to see, especially once you are ahead and need to chew up some clock.

I sure hope we will see that someday soon.
    Possibly as early as next year.
    ;D

Hopefully you know that I was razzing you with the part about expanding your horizons ;D
    [/quote]
    Yes my friend.
    I may drink the beast and not have two degree's like someone else I know, but I figured that out all on my own.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Hopefully you know that I was razzing you with the part about expanding your horizons ;D
    Yes my friend.
    I may drink the beast and not have two degree's like someone else I know, but I figured that out all on my own.

;D
    Hmm...... I would have guessed that to mean he should get a new reel so he could cast further or go further off-shore to go fishing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Yes my friend.

;D
    Hmm...... I would have guessed that to mean he should get a new reel so he could cast further or go further off-shore to go fishing.

Counting COJO's attempt at humor the other day, that leaves at least 4 of us who still find things funny in these dire times.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011