Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Is C Dan Mozes the guy?

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I agree but I don't see him with us past next year. He'll be the starter this year and next we'll be replacing him, will it be Mozes or another guy?
    I don't see how the Vikings could possibly not resign him until he retires. He is one of the faces of this franchise, and a class act. I think they just prefer to do a deal during the season similar to how they handled Pat Williams. I think he will be around for a few more years.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    If Birk is gone Cook Will be the center. I am nopt buying into he is "To tall" since when is any OL too tall? Its kindof like when a Ol that was over 300 lbs was considered "too big"
    When the QB is trying to throw the ball thru him or over him.

It also makes it more difficult for the QB to see his receivers or read defenses when he steps back in the pocket.
    Well then Tjack is to short ;D Now see if we had Derek Anderson who was 6'6"..Never mind ;D ;D ;D

I know there are alot of centers who are 6'5 just look at the rosters I still say Cooks best option and best position will be Center

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I agree but I don't see him with us past next year. He'll be the starter this year and next we'll be replacing him, will it be Mozes or another guy?
    I don't see how the Vikings could possibly not resign him until he retires. He is one of the faces of this franchise, and a class act. I think they just prefer to do a deal during the season similar to how they handled Pat Williams. I think he will be around for a few more years.
    I think he's overated and aging. I think its time to move on. I don't have anything against Birk, he was a good football player for us but we will be moving on. In the Redskins game Birks face was Blue, freaking blue. He's been inconsistent and at times looks out of shape getting rag dolled. I hope Birk has a good season this year but skipping these workouts is a no no in my book. Regardless if he wants a new contract or not he needs to be there. He is a so called leader right, way to set an example. On top of that he lives in the Cities.

Its always hard to say goodbye to long time favorites. All I want to do is win so it makes it easy for me, I think getting a better Center would improve our Oline. Birk has manned center the last two years in a row, it has not been impressive. How he has made the Pro Bowl is beyond me, It was not deserving only true consistent players like EJ Henderson and Winfield should make the Pro Bowl. He's making it off his name.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    If Birk is gone Cook Will be the center. I am nopt buying into he is "To tall" since when is any OL too tall? Its kindof like when a Ol that was over 300 lbs was considered "too big"
    When the QB is trying to throw the ball thru him or over him.

It also makes it more difficult for the QB to see his receivers or read defenses when he steps back in the pocket.
    Well then Tjack is to short ;D Now see if we had Derek Anderson who was 6'6"..Never mind ;D ;D ;D

I know there are alot of centers who are 6'5 just look at the rosters I still say Cooks best option and best position will be Center
    If Cook builds on the positive from last year he'll be our RT. Cook has a great work ethic, great feet and he can move for a big man. He fits tackle, he played it in High School and it has been the position he's played most for the Vikings, moving quickly from Center to Tackle.

Everyone wanted to bash us for drafting a Center, but they didn't realize he's a tackle. New Mexico put him in the middle because he was the badest dude in the state. He was there anchor or "hitman".

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think he's overated and aging. I think its time to move on. I don't have anything against Birk, he was a good football player for us but we will be moving on. In the Redskins game Birks face was Blue, freaking blue. He's been inconsistent and at times looks out of shape getting rag dolled. I hope Birk has a good season this year but skipping these workouts is a no no in my book. Regardless if he wants a new contract or not he needs to be there. He is a so called leader right, way to set an example. On top of that he lives in the Cities.

Its always hard to say goodbye to long time favorites. All I want to do is win so it makes it easy for me, I think getting a better Center would improve our Oline. Birk has manned center the last two years in a row, it has not been impressive. How he has made the Pro Bowl is beyond me, It was not deserving only true consistent players like EJ Henderson and Winfield should make the Pro Bowl. He's making it off his name.
    Yes, it is almost time to move on.
    It doesn't matter if you went to Harvard, if you can't pick up an interior blitz (or just let the Bears best player walk right up the middle of the line), it is time to think about letting a fan-favorite go.
    It was nice while it lasted, enjoy your last season in purple.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"aaeyers" wrote:
    So I drew up a quick force diagram, and if you analyze it as a statics problem, its trivial to show how the maximum force a player can withstand without being pushed back is related to their weight, and the angle at which they are pushing/being pushed, which equates to their height.

F ≤ Mu*W / (cos(theta)-Mu*sin(theta))

where Mu is the coefficient of friction between the player and the ground, W is the players weight, and theta is the angle of the force between the two lineman relative to the horizontal. Looking at the denominator, its obvious that the lower the player is, the more push they can exert/withstand.
    Does that equation work if the pressure is coming laterally?

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    So I drew up a quick force diagram, and if you analyze it as a statics problem, its trivial to show how the maximum force a player can withstand without being pushed back is related to their weight, and the angle at which they are pushing/being pushed, which equates to their height.

F ≤ Mu*W / (cos(theta)-Mu*sin(theta))

where Mu is the coefficient of friction between the player and the ground, W is the players weight, and theta is the angle of the force between the two lineman relative to the horizontal. Looking at the denominator, its obvious that the lower the player is, the more push they can exert/withstand.
    Does that equation work if the pressure is coming laterally?
    Yes, it works for any angle between 90 and -90 degrees (which would mean you would getting pulled instead of pushed). Actually, there should probably be negative signs on the thetas, but it just depends on where you measure the angle from.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Tarvaris would have a hard time seeing over cook.
    Relax, my friend,

Don't you think the Chiller and Co. have been thinking through this already? You have already seen the beginnings of the solution to Cook being too tall when TJ gave us a glimpse of the future when he unveiled that jump pass. See, all of you yutz's got all over him about his poor decision making when instead it was the Chiller adjusting his QB's mechanics to adapt to a taller center in the future.

It's all about anticipation and preparation my friend.
    Uffda my friend.
    That one is had me actually snorting in the cube.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

It doesn't matter if you went to Harvard, if you can't pick up an interior blitz (or just let the Bears best player walk right up the middle of the line), it is time to think about letting a fan-favorite go.
    The problem with sites like this is that there are always a few sacred cows that can do no wrong and a few fatted calfs that are always ready for the butchers knife.

Birk is a sacred cow.

When I pinged on his play last year everyone poooo pooooed it away as not really happening or something to do with the scheme.

Truth be told, I was very suprised to see that they offered him an extension.

Said it before and I'll say it again, just replace Birks name with Christie and insert Mozes and you will have the same story we went through when that sacred cow left because his services weren't needed anymore.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

The problem with sites like this is that there are always a few sacred cows that can do no wrong and a few fatted calfs that are always ready for the butchers knife.

Birk is a sacred cow.

When I pinged on his play last year everyone poooo pooooed it away as not really happening or something to do with the scheme.

Truth be told, I was very suprised to see that they offered him an extension.

Said it before and I'll say it again, just replace Birks name with Christie and insert Mozes and you will have the same story we went through when that sacred cow left because his services weren't needed anymore.
    Birk is still a top end Center, end of story.
    The fact that he's been a loyal Vikings his entire career and never created one problem with the team while promoting the Viking brand should give him a little freaking leeway getting a new contract.

A team always wants this "loyalty" from players and are hurt when they do something wrong or aren't 100% behind the team, but when a good player and a good guy like Birk who's given his all for Minnesota wants a contract the "loyal" part goes right out the door and we start penny pinching and slicing years.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast