Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Is C Dan Mozes the guy?

With all that is going on with Birk and the speculation that we could be drafting a Center, many of us are overlooking Dan Mozes. I read somewhere earlier about how well the Vikes like Mozes and think he could be our next center. Its too bad he was injured last year and could not pratice.

Here are a couple articles on Mozes. I would have to give him the title of a "Childress Guy". Someone who is overlooked with great character, work ethic, smarts and motivation.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_504613.html

http://www.nflhs.com/News/Features/2...062007_jjc.asp

I'm exited for what Minnesota is doing even with the Undrafted guys like Charles Gordon. Chase Johnson is another guy, OT that was dominating in Wyoming starting ever grame from a freshman on.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Is C Dan Mozes the guy?

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    With all that is going on with Birk and the speculation that we could be drafting a Center, many of us are overlooking Dan Mozes. I read somewhere earlier about how well the Vikes like Mozes and think he could be our next center. Its too bad he was injured last year and could not pratice.

Here are a couple articles on Mozes. I would have to give him the title of a "Childress Guy". Someone who is overlooked with great character, work ethic, smarts and motivation.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_504613.html

http://www.nflhs.com/News/Features/2...062007_jjc.asp

I'm exited for what Minnesota is doing even with the Undrafted guys like Charles Gordon. Chase Johnson is another guy, OT that was dominating in Wyoming starting ever grame from a freshman on.
    In that second article they talk about how some people say he is too short to be effective, but aren't most DTs around 6'2" anyway? And on the interior line when you don't have to orry about getting beat around the edges, isn't it usually the guy that gets the best leverage (ie: the lowest) the guy who is going to win the battle? It would seem to me that 6'2" would be about the perfect size for a center.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

If Birk is gone Cook Will be the center. I am nopt buying into he is "To tall" since when is any OL too tall? Its kindof like when a Ol that was over 300 lbs was considered "too big"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Garland" wrote:
    If Birk is gone Cook Will be the center. I am nopt buying into he is "To tall" since when is any OL too tall? Its kindof like when a Ol that was over 300 lbs was considered "too big"
    Tarvaris would have a hard time seeing over cook.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Garland" wrote:
    When the QB is trying to throw the ball thru him or over him.

It also makes it more difficult for the QB to see his receivers or read defenses when he steps back in the pocket.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Garland" wrote:
    Being to tall is a problem on the interior line because in order to get the best leverage you have to get lower than the other guy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Tarvaris would have a hard time seeing over cook.
    Relax, my friend,

Don't you think the Chiller and Co. have been thinking through this already? You have already seen the beginnings of the solution to Cook being too tall when TJ gave us a glimpse of the future when he unveiled that jump pass. See, all of you yutz's got all over him about his poor decision making when instead it was the Chiller adjusting his QB's mechanics to adapt to a taller center in the future.

It's all about anticipation and preparation my friend.

So I drew up a quick force diagram, and if you analyze it as a statics problem, its trivial to show how the maximum force a player can withstand without being pushed back is related to their weight, and the angle at which they are pushing/being pushed, which equates to their height.

F ≤ Mu*W / (cos(theta)-Mu*sin(theta))

where Mu is the coefficient of friction between the player and the ground, W is the players weight, and theta is the angle of the force between the two lineman relative to the horizontal. Looking at the denominator, its obvious that the lower the player is, the more push they can exert/withstand.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Noone said Birk is going anywhere.
    There is no reason to believe that Birk won't be starting this season.
    So he is missing VOLUNTARY workouts.
    He did the same thing last year.
    He's getting old and these workouts are very demanding.
    There is also no reason to believe he won't be back.
    He's spend his whole career in MInnesota, i'm sure he'd love to retire a Viking.
    He graduated from Harvard, so he's a smart guy.
    He knows he doesn't have much time left in the NFL, and will probably accept whatever short contract the VIkigns offer him.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I agree but I don't see him with us past next year. He'll be the starter this year and next we'll be replacing him, will it be Mozes or another guy?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast