Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Bye Week Review

  1. #21
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    Hey All! It has been a long time since I posted but I decided it was time to come out of retirement after attending the Vikings-Lions game.

    I just thought I drop my thoughts about the 2006 Minnesota Vikings at their Bye Week.

    Offensive Line: Really starting to come together and the Left side looks killer.
    I'm excited for these guys as they get better every game. Grade: A+

    Wide Receivers: If we still had Koren Robinson I think we would have put up 20 points by now.
    Williamson drops a lot of passes and that has to stop.
    If he can control that our offense is a lot better off. It seems to me that we have 3, #3 WRs right now with 2 almost #2s.
    We need a #1 guy.
    If Williamson can catch, he could be it.
    Until then or untill Childress finds a way to get the Ball the Jermaine Wiggins, I will be holding my breath on every passing play. Grade: C-

    Runningback:
    I am very impressed with this group.
    I really wanted Edge this offseason but Taylor has been great.
    he can make things happen by himself and can pick-up tough yards and yards after contact. I like him out of the backfield too.
    Mewelde and Fason are quality back-ups and I'd rather have Brock Lesnar running the rock than Artose Pinner. Grade: A

    TE: Jimmy K and Jermaine are great TEs and we need to get them involved.
    I think running screens to Kleiny and getting Wiggins to run midlevel perimeter routes will work in our favor.
    With the lack of quality WRs I would definitely start 2 TEs every game. Grade: B+

    FB: Richardson is awesome. Great pick-up. Nothing more to say. Grade: A

    Quarterback:
    I never liked the thought of going into the season with Brad Johnson as our starter.
    He has no mobility has had made some pretty awful decisions this year.
    I couldn't believe he lobbed the 4th and 2 pass to Williamson against the Bears.
    That was our one chance to win the division and perhaps the only chance the Bears had to lose.
    I don't feel confident in Chicago.
    Then in the Bills game on 3rd down he hits Wiggins over the middle of field, short of the first down, bringing up 4th down and we need to spike the ball to have a chance at scoring.
    Terrible.
    He can rarely find the open receiver and when he does he leads the ball towards the defender making it hard for our guys to catch the ball.
    It's hard enough for them already.
    Throw in interceptions and intentional ground penalties because he doesn't know how to throw the ball away properly and you've got Brad Johnson 2006 edition. Start Jackson. Grade: F

    Offensive Coaching: I don't see why we run the right side as much or more than we run to the left.
    We have over 100 million dollars invested in those 2 guys over there and they are probably the best tandem in the league.
    It's dumb to not run to their side 80-90% of the time. You throw in a 5 or 6 runs to the right just to keep them honest.
    The Redzone offense is disgraceful.
    Take a f-ing shot into the endzone just once when you're down there, please!
    You can't be concerned about first downs in the Red Zone and that what is seems we are concerned with.
    Get your butts in the endzone!
    Also, whoever is calling this 4 yard passes on 3rd and 12 needs to be fired.
    Getting some yards on first down once in a while instead of a run to the right for no gain will help our 3rd down conversation percentage.
    Grade: F- (and I'm being generous).


    Defense:

    Line:
    Fabulous. Ray, Kevin, Kenechi, Pat, and Scott are doing a wonderfull job getting to the passer and stopping the run.
    15 rushing yards for the Lions last week.
    The Lions put up 100 on the Bears, didn't they? Anyway, these guys are great and disruptive and are creating a lot of oppertunities for the Linebackers. Grade: A+

    Linebackers:
    Doing good in coverage and Blitzing.
    I'm very impressed with their speed and instincts. Grade: A

    CBs:
    I was one of the few people who wasn't happy when we signed Fred Smoot.
    I thought Brian Williams was better and it turns out I am right.
    Our biggest mistake this offseason (besides the draft) was not keeping Brian Williams.
    Smoot gives to big of a cushion and they can't seem to cover slants and comeback routes (see the Bills).
    Also, the lack of turnovers is upsetting.
    Winfield is the man though and they are doing a good job not giving up big plays. Grade: B-

    Safeties: I like our safeties.
    They are doing a good job keeping things infront them (except the last play of the Bears game) and they are jumping some routes but don't have interceptions to show for it.
    They have been Solid.
    Opposing TEs don't seem to be doing that much to us. Grade: B

    Defensive Coaching:
    Mike Tomlin is doing an incredible job installing this defense.
    I look forward to move take aways.
    He needs to do a better job defending the middle of the field and find some way that Smoot doesn't need to give a 12-50 yard cushion every play. Grade: A-

    Special Teams:

    Return Teams: Bad. Can't have turnovers.
    Williamson is doing a good job on kick-offs and he saves the grade here.
    What's wrong with Mewelde? Grade: C

    Kick-offs:
    Longwell and Heath Farwell are doing good with these.
    Kepp it up! Grade A:

    Punts:
    Kluwe is the man.
    He is doing really well. I knwo the Bills game wasn't his best but I'll give him a pass for the wind.
    He was so great in the Lions game.
    He got us that safety (that wasn't called).
    I really like the guy and even bought his jersey - Twice.
    Grade: A

    FGs:
    Longwell missed one, had an extra point blocked and Kluwe has muffed a snap.
    This unit needs some work, but they are clutch. Grade: C+

    Special Teams Coaching:
    Should have kept Rusty Tillman.
    This new guy is pretty bad. Grade: F

    Head Coaching:
    Team looks unprepared a lot. The Penalties are killer.
    Discipline off the field is hurting discipline on the field.
    Offense could be the leagues 2nd worse (we're better than Oakland, no matter what the stats say).
    If this coaching staff wasn't all-rookie the Vikings could go very far with their season.
    Grade: F
    Hey, welcome back!
    Nice to see you again!
    Some good points, some I am sure folks will debate...but thats part of the fun.

  2. #22
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: Bye Week Review

    Haha.
    You guys can disagree with my analysis if you want.
    I pretty much figured that people wouldn't like me giving Johnson an F or the offensive coaches an F.
    It seems like this is your biggest problem with me.
    Johnson hasn't done very little to help us win and more to help us lose. Thats the bottom line and thats why I give him an F.
    I like the guy, I want him to do well, but I am not as enamoured with the guy as mot people.
    He skips passes, overthrows passes and checks down too quickly just like you guys said. He hasn't been clam under pressure and the Bills game and Bears game killed me when he made those mistakes at the last minute.
    Thats why I gave him an F.
    Gave him a C because he has 1 more TD pass than INT or because he has a good completion percentage if you want.
    I just can't give him a passing grade.

    I'll back down from the A+ on the offensive line.
    By the end of the season I hope they will and I jumped the gun. It's cool.

    As far as Del Rio. I don't remember much about you except you enjoy trying to make people feel bad about themselves.
    Prophet's grade were pretty much the same as mine with a couple exceptions.
    How that is much better, I don't know.
    Maybe I disagreed with you a long time ago or something, I don't know

    I didn't really put a lot of time into them.
    I had some extra time at work-study today so I thought this might be fun.
    I'll see what other vikings fans have to say.
    You guys have pretty much the same to say except you blast me for giving BJ an F, the Line an A+ and being too hard on rookie coaches.


    Hey webby! Yeah, I'm enjoying myself. The site looks great by the way, just about as good as our defense!
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

  3. #23
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    Haha.
    You guys can disagree with my analysis if you want.
    I pretty much figured that people wouldn't like me giving Johnson an F or the offensive coaches an F.
    It seems like this is your biggest problem with me.
    Johnson hasn't done very little to help us win and more to help us lose. Thats the bottom line and thats why I give him an F.
    I like the guy, I want him to do well, but I am not as enamoured with the guy as mot people.
    He skips passes, overthrows passes and checks down too quickly just like you guys said. He hasn't been clam under pressure and the Bills game and Bears game killed me when he made those mistakes at the last minute.
    Thats why I gave him an F.
    Gave him a C because he has 1 more TD pass than INT or because he has a good completion percentage if you want.
    I just can't give him a passing grade.

    I'll back down from the A+ on the offensive line.
    By the end of the season I hope they will and I jumped the gun. It's cool.

    As far as Del Rio. I don't remember much about you except you enjoy trying to make people feel bad about themselves.
    Prophet's grade were pretty much the same as mine with a couple exceptions.
    How that is much better, I don't know.
    Maybe I disagreed with you a long time ago or something, I don't know

    I didn't really put a lot of time into them.
    I had some extra time at work-study today so I thought this might be fun.
    I'll see what other vikings fans have to say.
    You guys have pretty much the same to say except you blast me for giving BJ an F, the Line an A+ and being too hard on rookie coaches.


    Hey webby! Yeah, I'm enjoying myself. The site looks great by the way, just about as good as our defense!
    Why would I try to make people feel bad about themselves LMFAO! Yeah that's what I do, I sit on PPO and try to hurt people's self esteems. All I said right off the bat is I disagree that's it. You gave Brad an F, You gave our coaching an F, you gave the line an A+ that's all I mentioned because that is all I didn't agree with.

    Prophets grading is much more balanced that is why I agree more with it. I didn't say hey x84 your whole post sucks asshole and I disagree with the entire thing. I stated what I didn't agree with and why and then we got into some discussion as to why. Sends a red flag to me when someone gives the QB a fucking F and Childress an F. More Moss Culpepper fanbois clouding up the facts with boners.

    Not saying that is you, just saying that's what I got from it. Now you say you didnt put much time into so who really cares.

    ~If anyone thinks I go around trying to make people feel bad on the INTERNET, think again.~ ~If I have made anyone feel bad about themselves over the INTERNET please find the nearest blunt object and smack yourself in the face with it~

  4. #24
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    ... I pretty much figured that people wouldn't like me giving Johnson an F or the offensive coaches an F.
    It seems like this is your biggest problem with me.
    Johnson hasn't done very little to help us win and more to help us lose. Thats the bottom line and thats why I give him an F.
    I like the guy, I want him to do well, but I am not as enamoured with the guy as mot people.
    He skips passes, overthrows passes and checks down too quickly just like you guys said. He hasn't been clam under pressure and the Bills game and Bears game killed me when he made those mistakes at the last minute.
    Thats why I gave him an F.
    Gave him a C because he has 1 more TD pass than INT or because he has a good completion percentage if you want.
    I just can't give him a passing grade....
    Just because someone doesn't give BJ an F doesn't mean they want to poke his brown-eye.
    Like has been said numerous times, BJ is the interim QB in our offense while the supposed superstar, Tarvaris is groomed.
    There isn't a better option right now that is on the roster.
    I try to look at BJ with a level-head, while you look at only the negatives.

    His stripped down stats for the first five games are nothing to write home about.
    He did manage the game well in the first three games and could have done better in the last two games.


    Game 1: (W)
    16/30 for 223 yds 1 TD 0 INT W

    Game 2: (W)
    19/31 for 243 yds 0 TD 1 INT

    Game 3: (L)
    21/31 for 194 yds 0 TD 0 INT lost fumble

    Game 4: (L)
    25/44 for 267 yds 1 TD 2 INTs

    Game 5: (L)
    25/34 for 201 yds 1 TD 1 INT

    The bottom-line is that it's tough to pin the loss on BJ when the Vikings have been riddled with penalties during crunch time.
    I'm not disagreeing with you that he may be making his reads too quickly and tossing some bad passes, but you can't argue with his completion percentages even if you try.
    Those are cold hard facts.

    What annoys me most about the folks that constantly rip on BJ is they refuse to acknowledge the positive points about him and his history.
    They are quick to call someone who doesn't give his performance an F a 'lover'.
    I would say based on my comments that I am trying to be a realist while you are only gleening some of the factors out of his statistics and trying to pass yourself off as a realist when all indicators point to being a 'hater'.

    There are plenty of QBs out there that I would rather have at the helm.
    Guess what, they're not.
    Unless some major acquisitions happen before the trade deadline, which I doubt, we are stuck with BJ, Bollinger, and Jackson.
    Of the three, BJ is our best hope right now.
    Don't like it?
    Tough.
    You don't have to have a man-love thing going with BJ in order to make an objective analysis of the situation.

  5. #25
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "Del" wrote:
    ~If anyone thinks I go around trying to make people feel bad on the INTERNET, think again.~ ~If I have made anyone feel bad about themselves over the INTERNET please find the nearest blunt object and smack yourself in the face with it~
    Sometimes I think about how well VikingNed's title in here would fit on you.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  6. #26
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    ~If anyone thinks I go around trying to make people feel bad on the INTERNET, think again.~ ~If I have made anyone feel bad about themselves over the INTERNET please find the nearest blunt object and smack yourself in the face with it~
    Sometimes I think about how well VikingNed's title in here would fit on you.
    I've been this way since I first came here, I've been this way forever. People don't like it in real life and people don't like it here. I can sleep at night still so it must not be too bad.

  7. #27
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "Del" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    ~If anyone thinks I go around trying to make people feel bad on the INTERNET, think again.~ ~If I have made anyone feel bad about themselves over the INTERNET please find the nearest blunt object and smack yourself in the face with it~
    Sometimes I think about how well VikingNed's title in here would fit on you.
    I've been this way since I first came here, I've been this way forever. People don't like it in real life and people don't like it here. I can sleep at night still so it must not be too bad.
    I know you has as long as I've been here.

    And I meant it in a good way. Everyone here needs a 'foot up our sillyness' once in a while. I just pointed out that you deliver it very well.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  8. #28
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Bye Week Review

    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    ~If anyone thinks I go around trying to make people feel bad on the INTERNET, think again.~ ~If I have made anyone feel bad about themselves over the INTERNET please find the nearest blunt object and smack yourself in the face with it~
    Sometimes I think about how well VikingNed's title in here would fit on you.
    I've been this way since I first came here, I've been this way forever. People don't like it in real life and people don't like it here. I can sleep at night still so it must not be too bad.
    I know you has as long as I've been here.

    And I meant it in a good way. Everyone here needs a 'foot up our sillyness' once in a while. I just pointed out that you deliver it very well.
    You gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette.

    I have no idea what that means is regards to this but I am hungry. Seriously though I have no problems with anyone, hell I sit and shoot the shit with purpleride.

  9. #29
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Bye Week Review

    While, I'm sure the intention was not to "make him feel bad," Del did straight up insult his post:

    Now that didn't make my eyes bleed. Which is a big improvement from the original post in this thread.
    Anyways, my feelings on BJ is that he must do better. The short passes on third downs and inaccurate long balls just arn't good enough. Otherwise I blame all his other "problems." (more like excuses by people trying to provide evidence that he sucks) on The receivers and the coaching. I give Brad a C.

    Reveivers: D - Williamson has been disappointing, Taylor is playing mediocre as always, and Robinson looks old. I have no proof but I don't think anyone is getting open. I think we were all hoping for two of these guys to step up, but none have. Also, will say agian that I think Williamson is being misused. Way too much pressure on a second year guy.

    Coaching: C - Childress has done an average job against some hard teams. Otherwise Tomlin is as good as Bevell is bad. The playcalling needed to change and it did vs the Lions. While the WCO is a pass-oriented offense, I think it is clear that we cannot survive if we run a traditional WCO. We need to run, run, run. Against Buffalo we came out passing early and often and we paid for it dearly. Tomlin has been perfect in my eyes other than the fact I wish he would have the corners bump receivers more often. If Smoot can't handle it, then bench him.

    Special Teams just barely gets a passing grade. Returns have been ok, but MeMo is awful and Williamson is too precious to be returning. I suggested they take him off return duty and let him focus on receiving, instead Childress put him in on offense less and let him focus on returning....sigh. On coverage we have not let any gamebreakers but certainly have let up some long returns in big situations. Definetly room for improvent. Kluwe is young so I can understand his growing pains. I think it is yet to be determined if Longwell is better than Edinger.

    Players I liked and now hate:
    Smoot
    Hicks (is he really an upgrade?)

    Player I hated and now like:
    Napo
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  10. #30
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Bye Week Review

    Luckily for me the last time I checked posts have no feelings and are immune to nature damage and fire spells.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Upon further review, Jackson needs a week off
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
  2. Bye Review 2
    By ncviking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
  3. Rookie qb review
    By jdxdn99 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 04:18 AM
  4. After Further Review
    By LosAngelis in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
  5. Week 5 team status review
    By sdvikefan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 07:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •