Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Week Review

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Bye Week Review

Well, I did make reference to at least parts the Bears, Lions, Redskins, Bills, and Panthers games... It's okay though.

I didn't really put any stats in my descriptions. Stats are okay, and can prove a point sometimes but I was talking about how they were playing not how they were putting up stats.
    You're the one who brought up the completion percentage.

I'm pretty sure I gave the defensive coaching an A. Considering we've won 3 games thanks our defense and inspite of them lost 2 games thanks to our offense, I think it's a fair assessment and I'd bet that most NFL experts would agree with me that this offense sucks and a lot of the blame has to go on the coaching staff if for no other reason than they seem to want it.
    Things are done their way, it seems Tomlin is basically in charge of the defense and Childress the offense (he calls plays and it's his forte). Therefore I'll give credit where credit is due - Tomlin.

I think a lot of NFL experts would say that our leftside is just about the best in football and with our right side comming along I'd say they're an elite unit.

Anyways, I'm done with my shift at work, so I probably won't have much more time for arguing.
    It's been fun! I forgot how much I missed this.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Del Rio Guest

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Well, I did make reference to at least parts the Bears, Lions, Redskins, Bills, and Panthers games... It's okay though.

I didn't really put any stats in my descriptions. Stats are okay, and can prove a point sometimes but I was talking about how they were playing not how they were putting up stats.
    You're the one who brought up the completion percentage.

I'm pretty sure I gave the defensive coaching an A. Considering we've won 3 games thanks our defense and inspite of them lost 2 games thanks to our offense, I think it's a fair assessment and I'd bet that most NFL experts would agree with me that this offense sucks and a lot of the blame has to go on the coaching staff if for no other reason than they seem to want it.
    Things are done their way, it seems Tomlin is basically in charge of the defense and Childress the offense (he calls plays and it's his forte). Therefore I'll give credit where credit is due - Tomlin.

I think a lot of NFL experts would say that our leftside is just about the best in football and with our right side comming along I'd say they're an elite unit.

Anyways, I'm done with my shift at work, so I probably won't have much more time for arguing.
    It's been fun! I forgot how much I missed this.
    Yes I did bring up the completion % because you stated he can't find the open guy. Not true.

On paper yeah our left side is one of the best, are they performing that way? Absolutely not. Drive killing penalties alone they get a B in my book.

The offense is ranked around 14th, is that an F? I think not. If anything blame the line for bonehead penalties that suffocate the scoring drives.

I would be willing to bet most experts would not agree with you. Yeah stats are nice because they show what actually happened not what you think happened.See the thing about stats is people like to say well alot of things go into stats. No the correct answer is a lot of things go into football. So there is absolutely no way some guy sitting on his couch is going to give a better analysis of the game then what the stats say.

If stats are scewed so much that you can turn a blind eye then personal observations are about as worth as much as a wet cardboard box.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

There is no way you can give the O line an A+.
    I would say that most people would actually say they have been one of the biggest disappointments.
    They were hailed as the best around and have yet to show they are more than average.

The nicest surprise for me has been our LB play.
    They have to be the biggest surprise of the season for most of the us.

Brad Johnson is the right QB for right now.
    He does seem to hit the check down WR's awfully quickly and his accuracy was pretty poor the last 2 games.
    I dont care what his completion % was or wasnt.
    He missed some huge throws in the game on sunday that almost cost us the game.
    He has also made some costly mistakes so far this year and has more INT's than TD's.
    I dont know what is going on with Brad but he needs to get some things fixed in the off week.

I am impressed with how everything looks as an overall team.
    There is definately a lot of room for improvement but they are doing better than I thought they would have at this point.

I also am convinced that we will have a top 5 dominate Defense again in the next 2 years

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"twiztedfait" wrote:
    I would have to disagree with some of your grades.

The Oline is not "elite" as of yet as a unit.
    They have the potential, but are not showing it.
    They are better then average.
    I would personally give them a B-

RB, while showing imporvement, I can not give them a A quite yet.
    They get a solid b from me.
    A lot of what dissapoints me is the fact that they miss blocks.
    and untill the O line as a while plays better the running game will suffer.
    B

QB
    while BJ has not put up 40 points a game, he has atleast eaten up the clock.
    I would give him a C.
    He is having a average season this year.
    Untill things start clicking I don't see this changing.

Head coach.
    To be honest, we have had mistakes.
    Flags are killing us.
    But given what team he was given, I think he has done quite well.
    To be honest we don't have a super tallented team.
    The coach knows this and uses everyones stregnts in the game plan.

B
    You HAVE to give the RBs (specifically Taylor) an A...your reason for not doing so is because of the OL play (see bold above)...Taylor has consistently made something out of nothing and is THIRD in the entire NFL in rushing yardage right now...we haven't seen that in quite awhile from a Viking!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "twiztedfait" wrote:
    I would have to disagree with some of your grades.

The Oline is not "elite" as of yet as a unit.
    They have the potential, but are not showing it.
    They are better then average.
    I would personally give them a B-

RB, while showing imporvement, I can not give them a A quite yet.
    They get a solid b from me.
    A lot of what dissapoints me is the fact that they miss blocks.
    and untill the O line as a while plays better the running game will suffer.
    B

QB
    while BJ has not put up 40 points a game, he has atleast eaten up the clock.
    I would give him a C.
    He is having a average season this year.
    Untill things start clicking I don't see this changing.

Head coach.
    To be honest, we have had mistakes.
    Flags are killing us.
    But given what team he was given, I think he has done quite well.
    To be honest we don't have a super tallented team.
    The coach knows this and uses everyones stregnts in the game plan.

B
    You HAVE to give the RBs (specifically Taylor) an A...your reason for not doing so is because of the OL play (see bold above)...Taylor has consistently made something out of nothing and is THIRD in the entire NFL in rushing yardage right now...we haven't seen that in quite awhile from a Viking!!!
    4th

Nevermind your right he is 3rd there is a tie!

3rd in the league, the line must be doing something right. AS WELL as C. Taylor.

For the 14th time the only reason I brought up completion % was because of this: He can rarely find the open receiver and when he does he leads the ball towards the defender making it hard for our guys to catch the ball.
    It's hard enough for them already.
    Throw in interceptions and intentional ground penalties because he doesn't know how to throw the ball away properly and you've got Brad Johnson 2006 edition.

You don't have the completion % if you can't find the open guy. He doesn't know how to throw the ball away? He leads the league in throw aways. LMAO.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Here is my grading going into the bye week..

QB- Brad- C
    He has done a decent job managing the game.. But as I figured that's not what we need.. We need to take shots and score some points.. The D needs a little help

RB- Chester- A
    The dude has been doing it all.. Catching, running, blocking.. He will drag 3 defenders for 5 yards.. Good vision and alot more then I expected

FB- Tony- B+
    Pretty solid blocker and does a good job opening holes for Chester.. I'd like to see more recieving from him.. But that's on the hands of the coaches

WRs- D+.
    We have a bunch of number 2 or 3 WR's.. Too many dropped balls and can't seem to get open for Brad.. Really inconsistant

TE's- C
    Just gonna give a C cuz we haven't seen much of them in the offense which is supposed to focus on the TE's alot.. Nothing to complain about though when they get the ball they do good things

O-line- B-
    If it weren't for the falsestarts and the offsides peneltys and the inconsistant play of the right side we would have one of the best O-lines in the league.. Hutch has really paid off! We need to pull Birk a bit though.. He is the best pulling C in the league

D-line- B
    We have some depth but haven't gotten as much pressure as I imagined.. Still we are doing good there.. And Ray Edwards was a steal and should start next year

LB's- C+
    Leber isn't too special.. But Napo and EJ are having good years like I figured they would.. Obviously had the tools and with more experience with eachother and the D of course they would be good.. They are creating some turnovers and are beasts on the blitz

DB's- A-
    I think we have one of the most solid group of DB's in the game.. Minus Smoot.. Winny, Sharper and Smith have all played really solid.. Throw in some Greg Blue and Cedric and Whittaker we have some depth!

K- A
    Longwell is money.. Good signing! Screw Edinger

P- B
    Kluwe is doing pretty good.. Needs to work on the corner punts abit.. But still has the booming leg we all saw last year

HC- C-
    Young still so he gets a C.. 3-2 is a pretty solid mark right now.. If he could come up with something to spark this offense it would boost his grade alot more

OC- D-
    Bevel...He suckssssssssss.. Bad job of managing the offense so far.. Yes he is young.. But he needs a better game plan and needs to get more production out of these guys

DC- A
    Damn what a coach.. Sadly we might lose him in a few years.. He is definitley turning this D around

So with that.. We are a pretty solid team I would say.. Hope we can pick it up a bit after the bye!!

One Love

Prophet Guest

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Hey All! It has been a long time since I posted but I decided it was time to come out of retirement after attending the Vikings-Lions game.

I just thought I drop my thoughts about the 2006 Minnesota Vikings at their Bye Week.
    Thanks for putting in the time to do the grading, not very much time though it appears.
    You may be ready for a sports journalist job.
    I'll give my equally uninformed comments following your comments.

Offensive Line: Really starting to come together and the Left side looks killer.
    I'm excited for these guys as they get better every game. Grade: A+
    An A+ implies there's no room for improvement.
    There is a lot of improvement potential on this line, I can't think of an A+ line in the history of the game.
    I would go with a C+/B- overall with a B/B- to the left and a C/C- to the right.

Wide Receivers: If we still had Koren Robinson I think we would have put up 20 points by now.
    Williamson drops a lot of passes and that has to stop.
    If he can control that our offense is a lot better off. It seems to me that we have 3, #3 WRs right now with 2 almost #2s.
    We need a #1 guy.
    If Williamson can catch, he could be it.
    Until then or untill Childress finds a way to get the Ball the Jermaine Wiggins, I will be holding my breath on every passing play. Grade: C-
    Generally agree, except I was never a big K-Rob fan so could care less if he's gone.
    I also do not think losing Burleson was a big deal.
    Sure wish Williamson would grow into his role a bit quicker.
    Travis Taylor is the closest thing we have to a #1 and it is more likely he will grow inot that role than Williamson IMO.
    I can go with a C-/D+.

Runningback:
    I am very impressed with this group.
    I really wanted Edge this offseason but Taylor has been great.
    he can make things happen by himself and can pick-up tough yards and yards after contact. I like him out of the backfield too.
    Mewelde and Fason are quality back-ups and I'd rather have Brock Lesnar running the rock than Artose Pinner. Grade: A
    I'm not very impressed with this group.
    I'm impressed with C. Taylor so far and my expectations stop there.
    There isn't a more dime-a-dozen back in the NFL than MeMo.
    I had hopes for Fason, but haven't seen enough of him to get me too excited or confident in his abilities.
    I like the Brock Lesnar idea, Pinner does his role ok...a nameless guy that gives C.Taylor an occasional rest.
    None of the RBs would be able to fill in the void if C. Taylor goes down unless the O-line steps up a bit, which I believe they will.
    Overall grade a C+ with a B+/A- going to C. Taylor's contributions.

TE: Jimmy K and Jermaine are great TEs and we need to get them involved.
    I think running screens to Kleiny and getting Wiggins to run midlevel perimeter routes will work in our favor.
    With the lack of quality WRs I would definitely start 2 TEs every game. Grade: B+
    I'll go with your analysis, although I think they are being utilized and we will continue to see more 2-TE sets and their use increasing depending on situations.
    Their potential is in the A range but based on what we've seen, not much, I would go with a B-/B.

FB: Richardson is awesome. Great pick-up. Nothing more to say. Grade: A
    Like the guy too.
    Team player, not a head case, gets the job done.
    I'll go with an A-/A.

Quarterback:
    I never liked the thought of going into the season with Brad Johnson as our starter.
    He has no mobility has had made some pretty awful decisions this year.
    I couldn't believe he lobbed the 4th and 2 pass to Williamson against the Bears.
    That was our one chance to win the division and perhaps the only chance the Bears had to lose.
    I don't feel confident in Chicago.
    Then in the Bills game on 3rd down he hits Wiggins over the middle of field, short of the first down, bringing up 4th down and we need to spike the ball to have a chance at scoring.
    Terrible.
    He can rarely find the open receiver and when he does he leads the ball towards the defender making it hard for our guys to catch the ball.
    Throw in interceptions and intentional ground penalties because he doesn't know how to throw the ball away properly and you've got Brad Johnson 2006 edition. Start Jackson. Grade: F
    This is obviously not a level-headed analysis.
    I don't agree with much of what you have written regarding what he has done, but you also have to look at the positive.
    In the first couple games he did a relatively better job managing the game than he did in the last couple games.
    His pass completions have been up ~70%.
    He does know how to throw the ball away, one of the best at that and minimizing turnovers while doing it.
    He has made some boneheaded plays so far, but has also made some good plays and has managed the game.
    Based on the current team and his role and what he has done so far I would give him a C+.

Offensive Coaching: I don't see why we run the right side as much or more than we run to the left.
    We have over 100 million dollars invested in those 2 guys over there and they are probably the best tandem in the league.
    It's dumb to not run to their side 80-90% of the time. You throw in a 5 or 6 runs to the right just to keep them honest.
    The Redzone offense is disgraceful.
    Take a f-ing shot into the endzone just once when you're down there, please!
    You can't be concerned about first downs in the Red Zone and that what is seems we are concerned with.
    Get your butts in the endzone!
    Also, whoever is calling this 4 yard passes on 3rd and 12 needs to be fired.
    Getting some yards on first down once in a while instead of a run to the right for no gain will help our 3rd down conversation percentage.
    Grade: F- (and I'm being generous).
    I didn't look at all five games, but I did look at the last game and they ran the ball more than 2X more often to the left side than the right side with over 2X higher yds/carry.
    Your comment about "...don't see why we run the right side as much or more than we run to the left..." is just flat out wrong.
    I agree that they need to take some more shots into the endzone, if there is someone open.
    I also think that the coaching staff know a lot more about playcalling than you or I.
    Your grade is a bit exaggerated here, an F-?
    More negative than failing?
    I will give them a C/C-.
    Although, the disclaimer is that it is early in the semester and I think they can boost it up to a much higher mark before the grades are due.

Defense:

Line:
    Fabulous. Ray, Kevin, Kenechi, Pat, and Scott are doing a wonderfull job getting to the passer and stopping the run.
    15 rushing yards for the Lions last week.
    The Lions put up 100 on the Bears, didn't they? Anyway, these guys are great and disruptive and are creating a lot of oppertunities for the Linebackers. Grade: A+
    A.
    Playing solid.

Linebackers:
    Doing good in coverage and Blitzing.
    I'm very impressed with their speed and instincts. Grade: A
    I'm relatively impressed compared to what I thought they were going to do before the season started.
    I'll go with a B on this one primarily because there is a lot of room for improvement.

CBs:
    I was one of the few people who wasn't happy when we signed Fred Smoot.
    I thought Brian Williams was better and it turns out I am right.
    Our biggest mistake this offseason (besides the draft) was not keeping Brian Williams.
    Smoot gives to big of a cushion and they can't seem to cover slants and comeback routes (see the Bills).
    Also, the lack of turnovers is upsetting.
    Winfield is the man though and they are doing a good job not giving up big plays. Grade: B-
    There was a fan-split from the moment Smoot was signed.
    Compared to other players there aren't as many middle-of-the-road fans regarding Smoot.
    There was quite a bit of discussion last year concerning Brian Williams > Smoot.
    There weren't many on that bandwagon, but there are more now.
    They have been somewhat impressive.
    My grade would be the same as yours: B-.

Safeties: I like our safeties.
    They are doing a good job keeping things infront them (except the last play of the Bears game) and they are jumping some routes but don't have interceptions to show for it.
    They have been Solid.
    Opposing TEs don't seem to be doing that much to us. Grade: B
    I have liked their containment to the inside and their play for the most part.
    Grade B-.

Defensive Coaching:
    Mike Tomlin is doing an incredible job installing this defense.
    I look forward to move take aways.
    He needs to do a better job defending the middle of the field and find some way that Smoot doesn't need to give a 12-50 yard cushion every play. Grade: A-
    Agree with most of this, considering the D has come a long way in a short time period I'll go with an A.

Special Teams:

Return Teams: Bad. Can't have turnovers.
    Williamson is doing a good job on kick-offs and he saves the grade here.
    What's wrong with Mewelde? Grade: C
    MeMo is MeMo and Williamson has done ok.
    I have a tough time going over a C on these return guys.

Kick-offs:
    Longwell and Heath Farwell are doing good with these.
    Kepp it up! Grade A:
    Reasonable coverage without major returns.
    I would like to see them improve.
    B+

Punts:
    Kluwe is the man.
    He is doing really well. I knwo the Bills game wasn't his best but I'll give him a pass for the wind.
    He was so great in the Lions game.
    He got us that safety (that wasn't called).
    I really like the guy and even bought his jersey - Twice.
    Grade: A
    I don't give him a pass on the 9 yder, even if it was windy.
    He's a professional making the coing to punt the fucking ball.
    It's not that tough.
    Grade: B+.

FGs:
    Longwell missed one, had an extra point blocked and Kluwe has muffed a snap.
    This unit needs some work, but they are clutch. Grade: C+
    He has also tossed a TD pass and did a pooch kick
    ;D, that has to be worth something....not to mention being our #1 offensive threat
    :-[.
    Grade: B+

Special Teams Coaching:
    Should have kept Rusty Tillman.
    This new guy is pretty bad. Grade: F
    I am not on the Fire Ferraro bandwagon.
    He got us the win versus Carolina, with a little help from Gamble.
    Rusty was no hero, I am still up in the air on Ferraro, but have no problem giving him a C+/B-

Head Coaching:
    Team looks unprepared a lot. The Penalties are killer.
    Discipline off the field is hurting discipline on the field.
    Offense could be the leagues 2nd worse (we're better than Oakland, no matter what the stats say).
    If this coaching staff wasn't all-rookie the Vikings could go very far with their season.
    Grade: F
    It is insane to give him an F.
    What would you have given Tice?
    I hated Tice as HC and I still couldn't have given him an F, maybe a D+/C-.
    The team is more undisciplined than what I would have expected regarding penalites, it really is pathetic.
    The offensive woes are no secret.
    So far we have won games with the special teams and with the D and not with what young Vikings fans are accustomed to, the O.
    Given our tough early schedule and the newness of everything and the injuries this team has endured and our record being 3-2 I would be hard pressed to give the HC a grade lower than a B/B+.

My ratings are pure bullshit, just like yours, but I think the extremism in your rating scale is not justified by what you said.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    Hey All! It has been a long time since I posted but I decided it was time to come out of retirement after attending the Vikings-Lions game.

I just thought I drop my thoughts about the 2006 Minnesota Vikings at their Bye Week.
    Thanks for putting in the time to do the grading, not very much time though it appears.
    You may be ready for a sports journalist job.
    I'll give my equally uninformed comments following your comments.

Offensive Line: Really starting to come together and the Left side looks killer.
    I'm excited for these guys as they get better every game. Grade: A+
    An A+ implies there's no room for improvement.
    There is a lot of improvement potential on this line, I can't think of an A+ line in the history of the game.
    I would go with a C+/B- overall with a B/B- to the left and a C/C- to the right.

Wide Receivers: If we still had Koren Robinson I think we would have put up 20 points by now.
    Williamson drops a lot of passes and that has to stop.
    If he can control that our offense is a lot better off. It seems to me that we have 3, #3 WRs right now with 2 almost #2s.
    We need a #1 guy.
    If Williamson can catch, he could be it.
    Until then or untill Childress finds a way to get the Ball the Jermaine Wiggins, I will be holding my breath on every passing play. Grade: C-
    Generally agree, except I was never a big K-Rob fan so could care less if he's gone.
    I also do not think losing Burleson was a big deal.
    Sure wish Williamson would grow into his role a bit quicker.
    Travis Taylor is the closest thing we have to a #1 and it is more likely he will grow inot that role than Williamson IMO.
    I can go with a C-/D+.

Runningback:
    I am very impressed with this group.
    I really wanted Edge this offseason but Taylor has been great.
    he can make things happen by himself and can pick-up tough yards and yards after contact. I like him out of the backfield too.
    Mewelde and Fason are quality back-ups and I'd rather have Brock Lesnar running the rock than Artose Pinner. Grade: A
    I'm not very impressed with this group.
    I'm impressed with C. Taylor so far and my expectations stop there.
    There isn't a more dime-a-dozen back in the NFL than MeMo.
    I had hopes for Fason, but haven't seen enough of him to get me too excited or confident in his abilities.
    I like the Brock Lesnar idea, Pinner does his role ok...a nameless guy that gives C.Taylor an occasional rest.
    None of the RBs would be able to fill in the void if C. Taylor goes down unless the O-line steps up a bit, which I believe they will.
    Overall grade a C+ with a B+/A- going to C. Taylor's contributions.

TE: Jimmy K and Jermaine are great TEs and we need to get them involved.
    I think running screens to Kleiny and getting Wiggins to run midlevel perimeter routes will work in our favor.
    With the lack of quality WRs I would definitely start 2 TEs every game. Grade: B+
    I'll go with your analysis, although I think they are being utilized and we will continue to see more 2-TE sets and their use increasing depending on situations.
    Their potential is in the A range but based on what we've seen, not much, I would go with a B-/B.

FB: Richardson is awesome. Great pick-up. Nothing more to say. Grade: A
    Like the guy too.
    Team player, not a head case, gets the job done.
    I'll go with an A-/A.

Quarterback:
    I never liked the thought of going into the season with Brad Johnson as our starter.
    He has no mobility has had made some pretty awful decisions this year.
    I couldn't believe he lobbed the 4th and 2 pass to Williamson against the Bears.
    That was our one chance to win the division and perhaps the only chance the Bears had to lose.
    I don't feel confident in Chicago.
    Then in the Bills game on 3rd down he hits Wiggins over the middle of field, short of the first down, bringing up 4th down and we need to spike the ball to have a chance at scoring.
    Terrible.
    He can rarely find the open receiver and when he does he leads the ball towards the defender making it hard for our guys to catch the ball.
    Throw in interceptions and intentional ground penalties because he doesn't know how to throw the ball away properly and you've got Brad Johnson 2006 edition. Start Jackson. Grade: F
    This is obviously not a level-headed analysis.
    I don't agree with much of what you have written regarding what he has done, but you also have to look at the positive.
    In the first couple games he did a relatively better job managing the game than he did in the last couple games.
    His pass completions have been up ~70%.
    He does know how to throw the ball away, one of the best at that and minimizing turnovers while doing it.
    He has made some boneheaded plays so far, but has also made some good plays and has managed the game.
    Based on the current team and his role and what he has done so far I would give him a C+.

Offensive Coaching: I don't see why we run the right side as much or more than we run to the left.
    We have over 100 million dollars invested in those 2 guys over there and they are probably the best tandem in the league.
    It's dumb to not run to their side 80-90% of the time. You throw in a 5 or 6 runs to the right just to keep them honest.
    The Redzone offense is disgraceful.
    Take a f-ing shot into the endzone just once when you're down there, please!
    You can't be concerned about first downs in the Red Zone and that what is seems we are concerned with.
    Get your butts in the endzone!
    Also, whoever is calling this 4 yard passes on 3rd and 12 needs to be fired.
    Getting some yards on first down once in a while instead of a run to the right for no gain will help our 3rd down conversation percentage.
    Grade: F- (and I'm being generous).
    I didn't look at all five games, but I did look at the last game and they ran the ball more than 2X more often to the left side than the right side with over 2X higher yds/carry.
    Your comment about "...don't see why we run the right side as much or more than we run to the left..." is just flat out wrong.
    I agree that they need to take some more shots into the endzone, if there is someone open.
    I also think that the coaching staff know a lot more about playcalling than you or I.
    Your grade is a bit exaggerated here, an F-?
    More negative than failing?
    I will give them a C/C-.
    Although, the disclaimer is that it is early in the semester and I think they can boost it up to a much higher mark before the grades are due.

Defense:

Line:
    Fabulous. Ray, Kevin, Kenechi, Pat, and Scott are doing a wonderfull job getting to the passer and stopping the run.
    15 rushing yards for the Lions last week.
    The Lions put up 100 on the Bears, didn't they? Anyway, these guys are great and disruptive and are creating a lot of oppertunities for the Linebackers. Grade: A+
    A.
    Playing solid.

Linebackers:
    Doing good in coverage and Blitzing.
    I'm very impressed with their speed and instincts. Grade: A
    I'm relatively impressed compared to what I thought they were going to do before the season started.
    I'll go with a B on this one primarily because there is a lot of room for improvement.

CBs:
    I was one of the few people who wasn't happy when we signed Fred Smoot.
    I thought Brian Williams was better and it turns out I am right.
    Our biggest mistake this offseason (besides the draft) was not keeping Brian Williams.
    Smoot gives to big of a cushion and they can't seem to cover slants and comeback routes (see the Bills).
    Also, the lack of turnovers is upsetting.
    Winfield is the man though and they are doing a good job not giving up big plays. Grade: B-
    There was a fan-split from the moment Smoot was signed.
    Compared to other players there aren't as many middle-of-the-road fans regarding Smoot.
    There was quite a bit of discussion last year concerning Brian Williams > Smoot.
    There weren't many on that bandwagon, but there are more now.
    They have been somewhat impressive.
    My grade would be the same as yours: B-.

Safeties: I like our safeties.
    They are doing a good job keeping things infront them (except the last play of the Bears game) and they are jumping some routes but don't have interceptions to show for it.
    They have been Solid.
    Opposing TEs don't seem to be doing that much to us. Grade: B
    I have liked their containment to the inside and their play for the most part.
    Grade B-.

Defensive Coaching:
    Mike Tomlin is doing an incredible job installing this defense.
    I look forward to move take aways.
    He needs to do a better job defending the middle of the field and find some way that Smoot doesn't need to give a 12-50 yard cushion every play. Grade: A-
    Agree with most of this, considering the D has come a long way in a short time period I'll go with an A.

Special Teams:

Return Teams: Bad. Can't have turnovers.
    Williamson is doing a good job on kick-offs and he saves the grade here.
    What's wrong with Mewelde? Grade: C
    MeMo is MeMo and Williamson has done ok.
    I have a tough time going over a C on these return guys.

Kick-offs:
    Longwell and Heath Farwell are doing good with these.
    Kepp it up! Grade A:
    Reasonable coverage without major returns.
    I would like to see them improve.
    B+

Punts:
    Kluwe is the man.
    He is doing really well. I knwo the Bills game wasn't his best but I'll give him a pass for the wind.
    He was so great in the Lions game.
    He got us that safety (that wasn't called).
    I really like the guy and even bought his jersey - Twice.
    Grade: A
    I don't give him a pass on the 9 yder, even if it was windy.
    He's a professional making the coing to punt the fricken ball.
    It's not that tough.
    Grade: B+.

FGs:
    Longwell missed one, had an extra point blocked and Kluwe has muffed a snap.
    This unit needs some work, but they are clutch. Grade: C+
    He has also tossed a TD pass and did a pooch kick
    ;D, that has to be worth something....not to mention being our #1 offensive threat
    :-[.
    Grade: B+

Special Teams Coaching:
    Should have kept Rusty Tillman.
    This new guy is pretty bad. Grade: F
    I am not on the Fire Ferraro bandwagon.
    He got us the win versus Carolina, with a little help from Gamble.
    Rusty was no hero, I am still up in the air on Ferraro, but have no problem giving him a C+/B-

Head Coaching:
    Team looks unprepared a lot. The Penalties are killer.
    Discipline off the field is hurting discipline on the field.
    Offense could be the leagues 2nd worse (we're better than Oakland, no matter what the stats say).
    If this coaching staff wasn't all-rookie the Vikings could go very far with their season.
    Grade: F
    It is insane to give him an F.
    What would you have given Tice?
    I hated Tice as HC and I still couldn't have given him an F, maybe a D+/C-.
    The team is more undisciplined than what I would have expected regarding penalites, it really is pathetic.
    The offensive woes are no secret.
    So far we have won games with the special teams and with the D and not with what young Vikings fans are accustomed to, the O.
    Given our tough early schedule and the newness of everything and the injuries this team has endured and our record being 3-2 I would be hard pressed to give the HC a grade lower than a B/B+.

My ratings are pure kaka del toro, just like yours, but I think the extremism in your rating scale is not justified by what you said.
    Now that didn't make my eyes bleed. Which is a big improvement from the original post in this thread.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

My only beef is with Johnson getting an F and everybody else on the Offense doing a helluva lot better.
    I would give the WR's a lesser grade for dropped passes and fumbles.

The line does not deserve an A+ (please see the Carolina game and the dumb penalties).

It appears you just do not like Brad.
    At least admit it.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    My only beef is with Johnson getting an F and everybody else on the Offense doing a helluva lot better.
    I would give the WR's a lesser grade for dropped passes and fumbles.

The line does not deserve an A+ (please see the Carolina game and the dumb penalties).

It appears you just do not like Brad.
    At least admit it.

You're right, only knacks on him right now are latley he has been skipping the ball and overthrowing a bit, and hitting the checkdowns a wee bit too early..

Gotta add in people that he does have one of the highest completion percentages in the NFL.. Also his numbers would be ALOT better if we took a few more shots a little bit deeper down the field and had alot less drops..

The gameplan is also wack.. He would have around 1-5 more TD's if we could improve in the redzone also..

One Love

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast