Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Bye Bye Sidney Rice and Ray Edwards

Here is my glass half full take. ( And hopefully nobody will bitch at me for being positive) .

While we might lose Rice and Edwards, there are going to be UFA's from the rest of the teams in the league that will now be available to us with no restrictions that we can use to rebuild our roster and I feel that we might actually come out ahead in that scenario. While we might lose a talented WR who is made of glass and a malcontent DE, we can go out and get some guys who actually want to play and improve the locker room chemistry.

Food for thought.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1099017
    Here is my glass half full take. ( And hopefully nobody will bitch at me for being positive) .

While we might lose Rice and Edwards, there are going to be UFA's from the rest of the teams in the league that will now be available to us with no restrictions that we can use to rebuild our roster and I feel that we might actually come out ahead in that scenario. While we might lose a talented WR who is made of glass and a malcontent DE, we can go out and get some guys who actually want to play and improve the locker room chemistry.

Food for thought.
    Niether Rice or Edwards are top ten at their position in the league. Some team will probably fork over a bag of money to Rice for his 'potential', but I doubt Ray will get what he wants.

Either way I tend to agree with you. In fact, when I look at the list of Vikings free agents, I think maybe we are in better shape than a lot of teams.

Nose tackle Pat Williams (14 years of service); kicker Ryan Longwell (14); linebacker Ben Leber (nine); quarterback Patrick Ramsey (nine) cornerback Lito Sheppard (nine); wide receiver Greg Lewis (eight); cornerback Frank Walker (eight); wide receiver Hank Baskett (five); defensive end Ray Edwards (five); defensive tackle Fred Evans (five); offensive lineman Ryan Cook (five); quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (five); fullback Naufahu Tahi (five); safety Eric Frampton (four); and wide receiver Sidney Rice (four).
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1099020
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1099017

Food for thought.
    Niether Rice or Edwards are top ten at their position in the league. Some team will probably fork over a bag of money to Rice for his 'potential', but I doubt Ray will get what he wants.

Either way I tend to agree with you. In fact, when I look at the list of Vikings free agents, I think maybe we are in better shape than a lot of teams.

Nose tackle Pat Williams (14 years of service); kicker Ryan Longwell (14); linebacker Ben Leber (nine); quarterback Patrick Ramsey (nine) cornerback Lito Sheppard (nine); wide receiver Greg Lewis (eight); cornerback Frank Walker (eight); wide receiver Hank Baskett (five); defensive end Ray Edwards (five); defensive tackle Fred Evans (five); offensive lineman Ryan Cook (five); quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (five); fullback Naufahu Tahi (five); safety Eric Frampton (four); and wide receiver Sidney Rice (four).
    I agree with everything except that I think Ray WILL get what he wants. Free agency has never been about value, it's always been about excess. I want MORE money than team A gave me to play for team B.

When you think about it, the NFL is horrible when it comes to fiscal responsibility.

We bitch about rookie contracts that pay unproven guys a bazillion dollars only to watch them fail miserably. Yet we seldom throw up the same stink despite watching teams over pay "proven" guys.

Think we got good value for Berrian? How about Lito Shepperd?

And the list goes on.

Fact is, the NFL throws too much money at guys who simply aren't that good.

That said, someone will pay Ray way too much money..and he'll feel vindicated.

Then he'll go play his average ball, and we'll forget all about him.

Just like that CB we used to have who left because he wanted to start....what was his name again?

Caine

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099033
    We bitch about rookie contracts that pay unproven guys a bazillion dollars only to watch them fail miserably. Yet we seldom throw up the same stink despite watching teams over pay "proven" guys.

Think we got good value for Berrian? How about Lito Shepperd?

And the list goes on.

Fact is, the NFL throws too much money at guys who simply aren't that good.
    Good point and the answer always given is that the FA concerned just 'didn't fit the system run by team X ' which makes you wonder why team X picked him up. Still least that system keeps the likes of Drew Rosenwhore in business by constantly pimping his clients out as soon as they've signed for a team.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099001
    what in the hell are you talking about? There is no new CBA.
    Do you follow football outside of this page at all?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099050
    I've been caught up, but thanks for your concern. As this was posted, it was somewhat new, and in a quick search of about 4 sites that would be quick to post something new, there was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099053
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099050
    I've been caught up, but thanks for your concern. As this was posted, it was somewhat new, and in a quick search of about 4 sites that would be quick to post something new, there was nothing.
    One more time for possible penetration...........

Sportspyder

If you can't listen to Sirius or don't have NFLN, this is the next best resource for anything/everything sports related.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Again, my post was made at about noon, those articles came out after.

This thread was based on some 'breaking' news heard on the radio or TV, the articles weren't written up yet at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099059
    Again, my post was made at about noon, those articles came out after.

This thread was based on some 'breaking' news heard on the radio or TV, the articles weren't written up yet at that point.
    Check out sportspyder. I was tracking the info all morning on it while I was at work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast