Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Burleson gets a grip on his health

[size=18px]Burleson gets a grip on his health[/size]

The wide receiver has practiced all week after injuries kept him out of the Packers game, and he is likely to play Sunday.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 25, 2005 at 8:43 PM

Receiver Nate Burleson practiced all week and appears ready to return Sunday against Cleveland after being inactive Monday night at Green Bay.

"It felt good," said Burleson, held out against the Packers so he could rest a variety of aches and pains. "The guys were kind of making fun of me because I was running at full speed [in practice], saying I had fresh legs. I can't complain about anything. I'm excited for what the game has in store for me."

Burleson didn't play because of hip, knee, neck and shoulder ailments. The neck injury, which Burleson suffered in the Vikings' victory over the Giants on Nov. 13, was the biggest worry. "I just had a stiff neck," he said. "It was almost like sleeping wrong and waking up with a crick in your neck. That's what I was concerned with. But I feel good now. I'm close to 100 percent as I've been all year."

Burleson, who has 14 catches for 166 yards and one touchdown this season, has missed four games because of injury. Coach Mike Tice, however, liked what he saw in practice the past few days. "Burleson looks good," he said. "He's had a good week. I think he's starting to come back. He's made some good plays out there. He looks to have more juice, more energy."

Better than expected

Rookie receiver Troy Williamson's injury, originally termed a right shoulder separation after Monday's game, was "not as serious as some believed," Tice said. Williamson practiced all week and is listed as probable on the injury report.

But with Burleson set to return and Koren Robinson playing a bigger role, there appears a chance Williamson could end up on the inactive list Sunday.

Other injury updates:

• Running back Mewelde Moore (sprained ankles, probable) did not miss practice time.

• Guard Toniu Fonoti (groin), who was the only player to miss Friday's entire practice, is listed as doubtful on the injury report and will be replaced by Anthony Herrera as the starter at left guard. Center Melvin Fowler (oblique muscle) should start after missing Monday's game.

• Although defensive lineman Spencer Johnson (knee, questionable) appears ready to return, Tice said he hasn't decided whether to play Johnson or rookie nose tackle C.J. Mosley on Sunday.

Tall task

Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield estimates he will spend 80 to 90 percent of Sunday's game matched up against Browns rookie receiver Braylon Edwards. The third overall selection in the draft, Edwards caught a season-high six passes for 90 yards in Sunday's 22-0 victory over Miami.

"He's going to be a good receiver," Winfield said. "He's still young and needs to polish up his routes. But he makes some good catches. Against me, I'm sure they'll probably throw it up and make him go up and get it."

Edwards is 6-3, 211-pounds, while Winfield is 5-9, 180. But Winfield, a seven-year veteran, is confident his experience will help. "I'll get a jump on a few of his routes just by the way he comes off the ball and some of the formations they line up in," Winfield said.

Etc.

• Tice wouldn't say whether rookie Marcus Johnson would start in place of the Mike Rosenthal at right tackle, but Johnson was working with the first team in the period of practice that was open to the media Friday. Rosenthal said he doesn't know who will start; he didn't want to comment about being benched in the first half Monday.

• Former NFL offensive lineman Richard Baldinger will replace Rich Gannon as the analyst on the Vikings-Browns game for CBS. Baldinger is the brother of Fox analyst Brian Baldinger.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Burleson gets a grip on his health

finally burleson close to 100, i hope he has a great game this week. send him on some screens and crossing routes.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Yea it'd be nice to see something big from him this week. Except for that awesome TD catch against Detroit, haven't really seen much from him this year.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

do u think is williamson develops to what we really want him here for and koren sticks around, do u think burleson will still be our number one? burleson is a T.O. type of player. burlseon is also beginning to develop more muscle which is really good.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It is amazing how banged up the whole team has been this year and last year.

Seems more than normal.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah i miss burly but i'm not getting down on him, i know what he can do once he gets his hands on the ball. I dont really like the idea of deactavating Williamson, you just dont do that to your 7th pick in the draft. What do you think that'll do to his confidence?

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Burleson needs to step up and show he is a #1 or even #2 receiver. A couple weeks ago there was talk of giving him a new contract, but if Tice feels MeMoore can't stay healthy, what about Burleson?

At this rate, Krob, who is on a one year deal, works out a long term deal with the Vikes and becomes our #1. The Vikes let Burleson and Williamson compete for the #2 and the loser & Travis Taylor get mixed up as #3 & #4.

I think Burleson will establish himself the rest of the year. He fits this possesion type of offense the Vikings are evolving into. But I would not give him a long-term deal until he is in a contract year, which will be next year I believe.

this is his contract year i believe.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

http://vikings.scout.com/2/457790.html

You are right....this is his last year in his contract. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year - so the Vikings will have the rights to match any offer he receives from another team.

If another team signs him - the Vikes will receive a draft pick in compensation. So it will be interesting to see how the Vikings handle this situation. This may be one of the reasons we see WR by committee the rest of the way.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think the way he finishes out these last 5 or 6 games will determine wether he gets a one year deal or a long term contract, these last few games are gonna be important for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast