Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Marrdro is online now Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He is.

Marrdro is must just be one of those cats who believes the GM's sole job is to draft players and doesn't take into consideration that a big part of the GM's job is to retain those good players he drafts for our team.
    What kindof drivel are you spewing forth now. Are you going to sit here and try to tell me you understand the draft or FA process better than I?

Aren't you one of the cats who tried to convince me that the HC sat at the table in NY and sent the pick in? LOL
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

You could pick wrong with the first round too. No one expects any team to hit on every pick.

Still your odds of getting better players are higher if you're picking 3, 35, 67, 99..etc than they are if you're picking 25, 57, 89, 121..etc.

Of the players who aren't under rookie contacts, there are 4 players remaining on our team from the 2007-2008 draft since Spielman came on board.

AD, who fell to us at #7 due to injury questions. Still an early pick.
    Robison, taken at #3 in the 4th round.

Guion, taken 17th in the 5th
    Sullivan taken 21st in the 6th

Which undrafted guys are you saying he scored on?
    Your odds of getting players no matter were you picked is based on how well you scouted the players and if they meet the need of the coaches you have to coach them.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You could have the first pick in the draft and if you drafted the highest rated QB the kid would still fail if he didn't fit your scheme. Think about it, it isn't like you have a staff full of coaches that are skilled at the art of running the Walsh variant of the West Coast Offense and then expect them to teach something other than that.

Again, figure out what scheme your coaches intend to run. Find out were they have holes and then send your scouts out to find those types of players regardless of were they are projected. If you do that your odds of being successful with your picks will be pretty high.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Interesting tidbit I found on Jamarca that I can't validate because the cat referenced something he can access because of his subscription.

Mapping out the Blueprint for a Vikings Super Bowl Run in 2013- 2014 | Bleacher Report

Question is, why are so many fans (especially on this site) so adamant that a cat like Sanford sucks when he really grades out pretty damn high? Is it because they just have it in for the guy or is it something else.

Again, I really believe that us fans really don't understand the intricacies of play at a few positions (DB, LB and OL).

LB for instance. Most on here automatically say that Jasper sucks in coverage, but are they taking into account his pre-snap alignment? Is he up at the line in what looks like a blitz mode and because of that, is automatically 3 steps behind were he should be if he is supposed to drop into coverage?

I watched Jasper close this year. If he was allowed to line up in his normal location he was fine in coverage.
    Sanford made major leaps this year and I think he was very dissapointed that he was not a starter full time. When we were playing our best ball, we lost Raymond and we didn't miss a beat. The fact of the matter is, both of those guys appear to be starter quality safeties now. I am not saying that they are stars but they are both decent safeties and no longer liabilities. I can't remember 1 big play last season that appeared to be the safety fault. Our pass defense as a whole was pretty damn good early in games and for some reason fell apart later in games. However, they looked pretty good. This coming from a guy that continued to harp about their questionable angles during the 2011 season. They raised their play and shut me up.

Not sure about the Brinkley hate. He looked solid in coverage and good in run support. Another starter in this league. He's not an amazing MLB like a Willis but they guy gets the job done. When Henderson got hurt, he took over Nickle play and remained there for a while even when Henderson came back. If that is not a testament to how well he handled the job, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I believe he counts guys who were drafted by him but went to other teams so he is counting Rice and Jackson in his ratings.
    I do count players that were drafted by us that went on to other teams.

I did a study once on teams that signed players coming off of their first contracts from other teams. In almost every instance that team actively scouted the player they signed from the drafting team.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Your odds of getting players no matter were you picked is based on how well you scouted the players and if they meet the need of the coaches you have to coach them.

Nothing more, nothing less.

You could have the first pick in the draft and if you drafted the highest rated QB the kid would still fail if he didn't fit your scheme. Think about it, it isn't like you have a staff full of coaches that are skilled at the art of running the Walsh variant of the West Coast Offense and then expect them to teach something other than that.

Again, figure out what scheme your coaches intend to run. Find out were they have holes and then send your scouts out to find those types of players regardless of were they are projected. If you do that your odds of being successful with your picks will be pretty high.
    Marr.. you're being simplistic. Kids at the top of the draft tend to have scheme flexibility and can fit in multiple schemes. A lot can be said for talent being higher at the front of the draft. There is a reason that the first round yeilds starters with pro bowl ability. To find a pro bowler in the 6th round, you struck gold. To find a pro bowler in the first round, you did your job.

Which undrafted guys are you saying he scored on?
    Start with Sherels....I like the Summers pickup but time will tell on him. Same thing goes with Larry Dean. Sendejo is another one that I like on ST's.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Marr.. you're being simplistic. Kids at the top of the draft tend to have scheme flexibility and can fit in multiple schemes. A lot can be said for talent being higher at the front of the draft. There is a reason that the first round yeilds starters with pro bowl ability. To find a pro bowler in the 6th round, you struck gold. To find a pro bowler in the first round, you did your job.
    True, but we aren't going to pick a Austin over a Patterson if they are both sitting there. We will take Patterson because he fits our scheme as well as a need were as we have two guys (Percy/Wright) who can do what Austin can.

Austin might wind up being the Probowler, but Patterson would help you get more wins with less accolades.

smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    True, but we aren't going to pick a Austin over a Patterson if they are both sitting there. We will take Patterson because he fits our scheme as well as a need were as we have two guys (Percy/Wright) who can do what Austin can.

Austin might wind up being the Probowler, but Patterson would help you get more wins with less accolades.
    So a team that drafts a player that fits their scheme, over a player with more talent, is going to be better than a team that drafts a player with the most talent, and tailors their scheme to utilize that talent.

Does not seem logical !

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Patterson has way more upside than Austin. Not that he will reach it but the potential is there.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Patterson has way more upside than Austin. Not that he will reach it but the potential is there.
    OK, I picked a bad example....Way to hang me out there old friend.....

Point still is, they could pass on a more talented guy if he doesn't fit what we need.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast