Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100
  1. #61
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Smith is a DE...they move him around and he plays all the positions, as I pointed out he even spent some time at LB but his natural position is DE. so please try again.

    The year Washington was 31st was a move to the Damn 3-4. I am sorry that I chose to ignore that season. When transitioning to from 1 defense to the other.... clearly there is some flux.

    The thing both of these players had in the league was buzz about their play. However, they clearly lacked the name.

    You can argue all you want but as I have shown you...
    Smith on the 49ers, is doing the same exact thing that he did in Cincy.
    The same exact stats!!!! So isn't he under performing now? LOCKING AT SACKS AS THE ONLY MEASURE OF A DE SHOWS, ME THAT I SHOULDN'T EVEN BE WASTING MY TIME. What Smith is doing in the San Fran that he didn't do in Cincy is that his hurries and pressure is allowing his talented teammates to look even better. All the double teams and broken pockets( on crashes and at DT) allows the OLBs to clean up sacks and big hits. When they were a 4-3 he looked even better.

    Can you find a CB on the Vikings that has averaged 12 passes defensed in their career.?
    Winfield has only been over 12 once. Cook has 5 as a high. Griffen averages 8 for a career.
    By the way the great Revis is averaging 16 for his career. He is no Revis (clearly) but the guy can cover and disrupt plays. He drops easy ints which people think is the only measure of a CB. LOOKING AT INTS AS THE ONLY MEASURE OF A CB, SHOWS ME THAT I SHOULDN'T EVEN BE WASTING MY TIME.

    As for skewing the numbers, I explained already that I can provide you numbers that show any player to be important (i.e. 100% of Divisional game saving throws all went to FAs) What you can't argue is who lead that team in targets, catches, yards and Tds. You can't argue who lead the team in ints and pass defenses. You dismiss players that the teams see as intergral
    (49ers Brooks who signed a 6-year, $44.5 million to stay in San Fran) to it's success.
    Honestly, I have said everything I needed to say. Its a case of you not reading the original statement and arguing something completely different. I'm done.
    'Ole boy was a solid #2 corner in Washington. Couldn't get a pick if his life depended upon it. Nobody cried when he left, to be honest.

    Smith was an above average DE with the Bengals in a 4-3 scheme. Not optimal, as he didn't give much pass rush. His value up and down the line in SF is his ability to eat up blocks and create plays for the linebackers. He's an alright defensive end in a 4-3, he's fantastic in a 3-4. Please don't try to say that he was this much of a force when he played for the Bengals, because even Cincy wouldn't have let a player of that impact leave.

    Rogers is playing much better now than he was in Washington.

    Boldin gets no separation. Everything he catches is contested, and he has to use his solid hands and aggressive nature to make the catch, and it has to be on the receiving end of a very well thrown ball by Flacco. NFL on Sirius had a huge discussion about it with some guys I tend to have a lot of respect for, and they mentioned this as well. At this stage in his career, Boldin is a good #2 receiver, or second option...but he's not a dominate player anymore.

  2. #62
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Snicker! Yet you were all over Guion's young ass early in the season.
    What do you mean all over. Hacking or Propping? Truth be told, I absolutely don't know what to think of Guion, but that is because the coaching staff has chosen to use him out of his natural position.

    (Marrdro waits for Singer to miss the difference between the 2 DT positions).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #63
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Or part of the difference might be we were essentially picking 3rd in every round instead of the usual mid to late round picks.
    True, but you could still pick wrong after the first round.

    Besides, I think he's done a good job since he arrived so that makes my opinion a bit different when it comes to when he has picked vs what your saying (this year only).

    I challenge you to go see how many of his picks make the team vs how man don't and then compare them to 3 or 4 other teams like I did for Doc Jargo a few years back. Ole Ricky boy was right up there.

    Again, its a fallacy to believe that a GM is going to hit on every pick. Just doesn't happen. But Rick and the scouts have been pretty good at it based on league average and that doesn't even bring into account the couple of Undrafted guys he's scored on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #64
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    good post my friend. I am one of those guys though with our safeties. To say they played bad would be an understatement, I would say that pos. is the worst on the team, even worse than the WR pos. We need to draft one or hopefully Blanton can come on, I heard good things about him before he was injured. I think we need to upgrade that pos. and both players should be gone IMO. Oh yeah, MY FRIEND!!
    Like our CB play, I think most fans on here misunderstand the S's role in this scheme. My observations that they played better this year (which they did) is based on that, execution in the scheme.

    Additionally, many seemed to have forgot plays from Jamarca and Mystral that were game saving. Hell, Jamarca had back to back plays in one game (pass defense on the sideline/pass defense in the endzone). Mystral had some nice plays up at the line and a couple behind the line. I need to go through all the box scores to name the games, but when/if I do, I bet I find alot more between the two of them.

    Anyone who wants to check to prove me wrong, look at the game Smitty went out as well as the time he was suspended.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #65
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I don't remember any big plays given up this season by our Safties.
    They all played well. Could they have made some more plays on the ball? Yes but, they did their jobs. Now corner....that's a different story.
    It wasn't like they had them every game, but both Jamarca and Mystral had some key plays in games late. As I just pointed out, can't remember the games but it was in and around when Smitty went down/out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #66
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    True, but you could still pick wrong after the first round.

    Besides, I think he's done a good job since he arrived so that makes my opinion a bit different when it comes to when he has picked vs what your saying (this year only).

    I challenge you to go see how many of his picks make the team vs how man don't and then compare them to 3 or 4 other teams like I did for Doc Jargo a few years back. Ole Ricky boy was right up there.

    Again, its a fallacy to believe that a GM is going to hit on every pick. Just doesn't happen. But Rick and the scouts have been pretty good at it based on league average and that doesn't even bring into account the couple of Undrafted guys he's scored on.
    You could pick wrong with the first round too. No one expects any team to hit on every pick.

    Still your odds of getting better players are higher if you're picking 3, 35, 67, 99..etc than they are if you're picking 25, 57, 89, 121..etc.

    Of the players who aren't under rookie contacts, there are 4 players remaining on our team from the 2007-2008 draft since Spielman came on board.

    AD, who fell to us at #7 due to injury questions. Still an early pick.
    Robison, taken at #3 in the 4th round.

    Guion, taken 17th in the 5th
    Sullivan taken 21st in the 6th

    Which undrafted guys are you saying he scored on?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #67
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    True, but you could still pick wrong after the first round.

    Besides, I think he's done a good job since he arrived so that makes my opinion a bit different when it comes to when he has picked vs what your saying (this year only).

    I challenge you to go see how many of his picks make the team vs how man don't and then compare them to 3 or 4 other teams like I did for Doc Jargo a few years back. Ole Ricky boy was right up there.

    Again, its a fallacy to believe that a GM is going to hit on every pick. Just doesn't happen. But Rick and the scouts have been pretty good at it based on league average and that doesn't even bring into account the couple of Undrafted guys he's scored on.
    You could pick wrong with the first round too. No one expects any team to hit on every pick.

    Still your odds of getting better players are higher if you're picking 3, 35, 67, 99..etc than they are if you're picking 25, 57, 89, 121..etc.

    Of the players who aren't under rookie contacts, there are 4 players remaining on our team from the 2007-2008 draft since Spielman came on board.

    AD, who fell to us at #7 due to injury questions. Still an early pick.
    Robison, taken at #3 in the 4th round.

    Guion, taken 17th in the 5th
    Sullivan taken 21st in the 6th

    Which undrafted guys are you saying he scored on?
    I believe he counts guys who were drafted by him but went to other teams so he is counting Rice and Jackson in his ratings.

  8. #68
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I believe he counts guys who were drafted by him but went to other teams so he is counting Rice and Jackson in his ratings.
    He is.

    Marrdro is must just be one of those cats who believes the GM's sole job is to draft players and doesn't take into consideration that a big part of the GM's job is to retain those good players he drafts for our team.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #69
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Like our CB play, I think most fans on here misunderstand the S's role in this scheme. My observations that they played better this year (which they did) is based on that, execution in the scheme.

    Additionally, many seemed to have forgot plays from Jamarca and Mystral that were game saving. Hell, Jamarca had back to back plays in one game (pass defense on the sideline/pass defense in the endzone). Mystral had some nice plays up at the line and a couple behind the line. I need to go through all the box scores to name the games, but when/if I do, I bet I find alot more between the two of them.

    Anyone who wants to check to prove me wrong, look at the game Smitty went out as well as the time he was suspended.
    I thought Sanford improved quite a bit this year and playing next to Smith this position went from a huge liability last year to respectable this year.

    Raymond on the other hand took about 4 steps backwards. When he did get a chance to play he looked completely lost. I think this guy will be fighting hard to make the roster next year. Never saw enough of Blanton to form an opinion on the guy.

    On the CB side, I think we will continue to look for players this year to add depth and competition. Cook hasn't shown he can stay on the field consistently, so you need a good backup for him. AW is probably into his last year. Robinson showed some promise last year and may step into a solid starter. Jefferson, despite the heavy criticism of many on this site, is a very solid depth CB. He lacks aggression in run support and needs to learn how to make a play on the ball, but I think he has the best cover skills on our team. That's why you see the guy continuing to get all the reps. Sherels was a huge liability in coverage, only on the team because of his return abilities. Burton is just a body, not even sure what type of body he has, can't remember the last time I've seen it.

    Last year they brought in two senior FA corner's that they had no doubt expected to step into one of the starter roles as they brought Robinson along. When that plan fell to shit, Robinson was promoted and they scrambled to find another guy on the market (Jefferson).

  10. #70
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    You could pick wrong with the first round too. No one expects any team to hit on every pick.

    Still your odds of getting better players are higher if you're picking 3, 35, 67, 99..etc than they are if you're picking 25, 57, 89, 121..etc.

    Of the players who aren't under rookie contacts, there are 4 players remaining on our team from the 2007-2008 draft since Spielman came on board.

    AD, who fell to us at #7 due to injury questions. Still an early pick.
    Robison, taken at #3 in the 4th round.

    Guion, taken 17th in the 5th
    Sullivan taken 21st in the 6th

    Which undrafted guys are you saying he scored on?
    Picking early vs late only translates to one extra quality pick.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •