Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100
  1. #41
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Pretty sure that McKinnie doesn't start. Or see the field a whole hell of a lot ... so stretching it there a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Actually he does... makes me believe that you are gonna say a lot of speculating if you don't even watch the teams.
    Actually, Midgensa is right & you're wrong. He doesn't start a lot or see the field a lot. In fact he never started a game the entire regular season & only got to start for the first time in the playoffs.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #42
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I don't remember any big plays given up this season by our Safties.
    They all played well. Could they have made some more plays on the ball? Yes but, they did their jobs. Now corner....that's a different story.
    I only watched a few games but I saw them taking bad angles on WRs and missing hits that could have jarred the ball loose. I saw horrible tackling by one those two in the last home game against GB. I don't remember any big plays over the top but that isn't the only requirement a S has on D.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  3. #43
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I really really really want to see what happens with guys like:

    Audie - will he take the next step.
    Jasper - will he continue to evolve.
    Fusco - will he finally stabilize the line.
    Felton - Can you imagine him next year.
    Smitty - Same thing as Felton.
    Blanton - Might be our answer next to Smitty.
    Kalil, Rudy, Dean, Reed, Burton, Sherel,........

    A serious look at this team and the potential that is there really makes me excited to see how they all progress.

    Truth is, the only players I didn't see get better this year were Webb, Scwartz and some backups that didn't get to play like Berger.

    Guys like Chad, Sully, Rob, Everson, Ballard really started to come into their own. Heck, even ole Fred Evans played the best I've seen him play in years.

    My only issue is that most fans can't stand to watch guys like Jamarca or Mystral go through the growing pains of learning on the field. Even those two had their moments this year and should be better next year with improved DT play and coaching.
    Hope you are right about Cole.

    I hope I'm wrong about Jasper...I just am not feeling it and think we need to go a different direction - namely, someone with more instinct and speed. He's a thumper, but, that's all I see and not enough of it. Can he improve? Not sure.

    I share optimism about Fusco. I like scrappy guards with an edge, an attitude...good base to work from.

    Felton simply must be brought back. In fact, I think it makes sense to sign him to a contract which is co-terminous to AD's. Limit the guaranteed money as much as possible, but, keep him here. Kid is a beast.

    Smith was one helluva ballsy move, but, I was happy on Draft Day and even happier now. I don't subscribe to the "we could have had this guy or that guy" stuff with this one. Solid pick, bold move, great Viking for a long time.

    Blanton - we shall see. Looked competent when he was forced into action.

    Kalil, Rudy, Dean, Reed, Burton, Sherel,........Let me add Robinson and Wright. Robinson made some mistakes, but, I think the sky is the limit. Wright can ball and I'm very confident he will improve dramatically. Which Burton? If it's Stephen, not seeing it at all. Love Dean on special teams...maybe the next Heath Farwell??? Sherel is a good punt returner, but, not sure how much upside there is regarding pass coverage.

    The 2012 Draft was solid, as we've discussed before. The biggest concern I have with our youth movement is I just don't see downfield playmakers (Percy is a given...but, who knows how long he will be in purple), with the exception of Wright. Would have been nice to have seen him on the field more with Percy...still baffles me as to why it took so long to get him in the game. Everytime I watch Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Randall Cobb, Hakeem Nicks, Vincent Jackson, etc...go up and take the ball away from defenders, it reminds me that we simply do not have wide receivers capable of winning those battles down the field (Rudolph, I know, routinely does it). Flacco's post season success is directly attributable to (his words, not mine) "putting the ball where my guys can make a play when they are one on one." I am hopeful this gets addressed.

    Defensive Tackle is another concern (I know you share this).
    Last edited by MaxVike; 01-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  4. #44
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Hope you are right about Cole.

    I hope I'm wrong about Jasper...I just am not feeling it and think we need to go a different direction - namely, someone with more instinct and speed. He's a thumper, but, that's all I see and not enough of it. Can he improve? Not sure.

    I share optimism about Fusco. I like scrappy guards with an edge, an attitude...good base to work from.

    Felton simply must be brought back. In fact, I think it makes sense to sign him to a contract which is co-terminous to AD's. Limit the guaranteed money as much as possible, but, keep him here. Kid is a beast.

    Smith was one helluva ballsy move, but, I was happy on Draft Day and even happier now. I don't subscribe to the "we could have had this guy or that guy" stuff with this one. Solid pick, bold move, great Viking for a long time.

    Blanton - we shall see. Looked competent when he was forced into action.

    Kalil, Rudy, Dean, Reed, Burton, Sherel,........Let me add Robinson and Wright. Robinson made some mistakes, but, I think the sky is the limit. Wright can ball and I'm very confident he will improve dramatically. Which Burton? If it's Stephen, not seeing it at all. Love Dean on special teams...maybe the next Heath Farwell??? Sherel is a good punt returner, but, not sure how much upside there is regarding pass coverage.

    The 2012 Draft was solid, as we've discussed before. The biggest concern I have with our youth movement is I just don't see downfield playmakers (Percy is a given...but, who knows how long he will be in purple), with the exception of Wright. Would have been nice to have seen him on the field more with Percy...still baffles me as to why it took so long to get him in the game. Everytime I watch Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Randall Cobb, Hakeem Nicks, Vincent Jackson, etc...go up and take the ball away from defenders, it reminds me that we simply do not have wide receivers capable of winning those battles down the field (Rudolph, I know, routinely does it). Flacco's post season success is directly attributable to (his words, not mine) "putting the ball where my guys can make a play when they are one on one." I am hopeful this gets addressed.

    Defensive Tackle is another concern (I know you share this).
    Rumor has it that he was slow in picking up the playbook. I don't kow if that is the case but even if he knew a few plays get him in there, he is talented and can make plays, that is more than I can say for our other WRs.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  5. #45
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I have no idea where you are coming up with 10 of 22. I named 13 starters that they drafted (and yes, 4/5ths of their offensive line was drafted by them ... all but the center). So that leaves NINE at most. But hey in fact have 15 drafted starters. And acting like Justin Smith was not an underperformer in Cincinnati and then calling me out for "not watching teams" is ridiculous. He was a serious underperformer there as was Rogers here in the nation's capital. By the way ... Bryant McKinnie did start vs. Colts and the last couple of weeks ... but the were the FIRST STARTS THIS SEASON (and only because of injury. He is not a starter anymore) Bryant McKinnie Earns High Grades In First Start
    1. McKinnie...ok so is he a starter or not? He's starting... he's a starter.
    2. Justin Smith:
    55 tacks 8.5 sacks (2nd for rookies)
    61 tacks 6.5 sacks ( led team in sacks)
    60 tacks 5 sacks (moved to OLB had 5 sacks)
    71 tacks 8 sacks ( led team in tacks and sacks)
    81 tacks 5 sacks ( led team)
    Last year in Cincy 78 tacks 2.0 sacks. ( led team in assisted tackles)
    Franchised tagged.

    He has averaged almost exactly what he did in cincy. The issue sis, he is playing on a good team now and is getting media shine time. Cincy in 2003 was a deadzone. The guy hasn't changed and that is why after his last season he was PURSUED by more than a handful of teams including the Vikings. He was the

    Rogers...
    I can show you the stats but they say the same damn thing.
    His stats in San Fran are almost identical to his stats here.
    Last year he had 6 but he played against TJack 2X, A struggling Bradford 2X, and the flop that is Kolb 2X. This year he went back to 1 int. He is what he is; a damn good cover guy that has difficulty catching the ball. Your problem is that you look soley at 1 stat....want to know if a guy is playing well at Cb... look at his PD. That is a true gauge, not ints. 24 passes defended in a season. I don't care how much you are targeted, that's outstanding pass breakups. He also always helped WAS in being a top 10 defense in an explosive division. The guy is consistently great but lacks the big name.

    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    So, the 49ers have 15 starters they drafted (49ers.com | Depth Chart). The Ravens have 14 (Baltimore Ravens | Depth Chart). That is 29 of 44. And the point isn't that they have some free agents ... obviously everyone has those.
    Alex Boone was not drafted, he was a FA signing after the draft. Look it up.
    I also included the 3rd WR in Ginn as they use him more than they do a FB. Their base formation Slot left out of the Single back formation.
    Defensively I have already said that 1/3 DL 1/4 LBs and 2/4 of their Core are FA. Thats puts us at 14 out of 22 or 7:11 for the 49ers. I'm trying to get you to understand that teams tend to draft about 7 players every year...so yes the draft is important but dumpster diving in FA like we have been doing is a disaster. Good teams go out and sign Key players in FA. Hence, FA is as important as the draft. You can't build a good team without being excellent at both.


    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    The point is THEY ARE CLEARLY BUILT THROUGH THE DRAFT. The most important players they have on BOTH sides of the ball are players they DRAFTED. Both starting QBs, RBs, TEs and top WRs were DRAFTED.

    Ravens: 100% of their passing yards came from players THEY DRAFTED. 97% of their rushing yards came from players THEY DRAFTED. 63% of their receiving yards came from people THEY DRAFTED. 84% of their sacks came from players THEY DRAFTED. 54% of their defensive interceptions came from players THEY DRAFTED.

    49ers: 100% of their passing yards came from players THEY DRAFTED. 97% of their rushing yards came from players THEY DRAFTED. 75% of their receiving yards came from players THEY DRAFTED. 75% of their sacks came from players THEY DRAFTED. 79% of their defensive interceptions came from players THEY DRAFTED.
    Nice way to skew the numbers. 100% of their passing yards? Really? 97% of their rushing yards?

    Baltimore, who led the team in receiving regular season yards? Who is leading in the playoffs. Who led in receptions? Who led in tds?
    Who led in picks? Their two starting corners are FAs. I can go thru and point out the production on both sides like saying 100% of divisional round game tying catches were made made by Free Agents...but its a waste of time. Again, teams have more drafted players on their rosters because of the number of draft picks allotted each year. So you will see a larger percentage of any one stat belonging to drafted players. However, FAs are just as integral in moving the train.

    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I don't know how to spell it out for you anymore than that. These two teams built through the draft. They are completely the epitome of teams building through the draft. Sure, both teams have solid contributors that they got elsewhere (Birk, Boldin, Cary Williams, J. Smith, Rogers, Whitner, Moss) but to act like those guys are the reason these teams are here more than the players THEY DRAFTED that accounted for a large percentage of ALL production is ridiculous.
    Solid contributors huh? You mean the starting Center and WR... of ok!
    The DE that everyone says is the heart and soul of the 49ers? Those teams are in the superbowl because they are good teams that draft well and sign key players are huge areas of needs. Needed a lock down corner after Clements flooped, Rogers got signed. Needed a top flight pass rushing DE, smith got signed. Both teams had big issues but over came them by Signing key guys. You dismissal of Boldin as just a guy (JAG) is insulting. The guy is a premier WR, who will never get the fame he deserves. He recorded 1377 as a rookie. and trived despite Fitz getting to AZ. Runs all they routes and is FEARED by Dbs for his toughness and hands. He's better than anyone we have including Harvin.

  6. #46
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    1. McKinnie...ok so is he a starter or not? He's starting... he's a starter.
    2. Justin Smith:
    55 tacks 8.5 sacks (2nd for rookies)
    61 tacks 6.5 sacks ( led team in sacks)
    60 tacks 5 sacks (moved to OLB had 5 sacks)
    71 tacks 8 sacks ( led team in tacks and sacks)
    81 tacks 5 sacks ( led team)
    Last year in Cincy 78 tacks 2.0 sacks. ( led team in assisted tackles)
    Franchised tagged.

    He has averaged almost exactly what he did in cincy. The issue sis, he is playing on a good team now and is getting media shine time. Cincy in 2003 was a deadzone. The guy hasn't changed and that is why after his last season he was PURSUED by more than a handful of teams including the Vikings. He was the

    Rogers...
    I can show you the stats but they say the same damn thing.
    His stats in San Fran are almost identical to his stats here.
    Last year he had 6 but he played against TJack 2X, A struggling Bradford 2X, and the flop that is Kolb 2X. This year he went back to 1 int. He is what he is; a damn good cover guy that has difficulty catching the ball. Your problem is that you look soley at 1 stat....want to know if a guy is playing well at Cb... look at his PD. That is a true gauge, not ints. 24 passes defended in a season. I don't care how much you are targeted, that's outstanding pass breakups. He also always helped WAS in being a top 10 defense in an explosive division. The guy is consistently great but lacks the big name.



    Alex Boone was not drafted, he was a FA signing after the draft. Look it up.
    I also included the 3rd WR in Ginn as they use him more than they do a FB. Their base formation Slot left out of the Single back formation.
    Defensively I have already said that 1/3 DL 1/4 LBs and 2/4 of their Core are FA. Thats puts us at 14 out of 22 or 7:11 for the 49ers. I'm trying to get you to understand that teams tend to draft about 7 players every year...so yes the draft is important but dumpster diving in FA like we have been doing is a disaster. Good teams go out and sign Key players in FA. Hence, FA is as important as the draft. You can't build a good team without being excellent at both.




    Nice way to skew the numbers. 100% of their passing yards? Really? 97% of their rushing yards?

    Baltimore, who led the team in receiving regular season yards? Who is leading in the playoffs. Who led in receptions? Who led in tds?
    Who led in picks? Their two starting corners are FAs. I can go thru and point out the production on both sides like saying 100% of divisional round game tying catches were made made by Free Agents...but its a waste of time. Again, teams have more drafted players on their rosters because of the number of draft picks allotted each year. So you will see a larger percentage of any one stat belonging to drafted players. However, FAs are just as integral in moving the train.



    Solid contributors huh? You mean the starting Center and WR... of ok!
    The DE that everyone says is the heart and soul of the 49ers? Those teams are in the superbowl because they are good teams that draft well and sign key players are huge areas of needs. Needed a lock down corner after Clements flooped, Rogers got signed. Needed a top flight pass rushing DE, smith got signed. Both teams had big issues but over came them by Signing key guys. You dismissal of Boldin as just a guy (JAG) is insulting. The guy is a premier WR, who will never get the fame he deserves. He recorded 1377 as a rookie. and trived despite Fitz getting to AZ. Runs all they routes and is FEARED by Dbs for his toughness and hands. He's better than anyone we have including Harvin.
    You are completely delusional.

  7. #47
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    1. McKinnie...ok so is he a starter or not? He's starting... he's a starter.
    I guess that makes Webb a starter as well.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #48
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I guess that makes Webb a starter as well.
    He had a down and down first year as the Viking starter. We're actually pretty blessed, following this logic, as we have a pair of starting quarterbacks, four or five starting receivers, four or so starting safeties...hell, our depth is great. Most teams can barely field a starter with a backup on the bench.

  9. #49
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You are completely delusional.
    Numbers vs. Opinions
    I'll stick to numbers!

  10. #50
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    He had a down and down first year as the Viking starter. We're actually pretty blessed, following this logic, as we have a pair of starting quarterbacks, four or five starting receivers, four or so starting safeties...hell, our depth is great. Most teams can barely field a starter with a backup on the bench.
    By the way, the reason Mckinnie is a starter is because Jah Reid is back from his injury but is still not starting!!! Like I said, if you don't watch the games....you wouldn't know.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •